LeBrun: Sharks & Karlsson ''on same page'' to try and get a trade done

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
How would you feel if I asked you "give me a few million dollars every year for four years to pay this guy we gave up the farm TO NOT TO PLAY FOR US"
I'd feel good if it meant I wasn't paying him the other half of that salary for us to just be a bottom feeder...and helps us get better young assets for when we are actually good.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
EK and McDavid together would be so fun and good for the NHL.

I'm just not sure it's the right move for Edmonton tbh.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I think 50% retention has to be on the table here, doesn't it?

Karlsson at 6M per year

For

Ceci
Yamamoto
2024 1st round pick
2023 2nd round pick
Xavier Bourgault

This is of course considering that San Jose isn't going to try to wait out suitors until the deadline of course.

Edmonton's Blueline

Nurse - Karlsson
Ekholm - Bouchard
Kulak - Broberg/Desharnais
Holy lord is that a terrible offer. The sharks are paying 5.5 million for Karlsson to play for another team and all they get back is a 1st next year and cap dumps. Get a clue

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
The Panthers got mentioned today on the Jeff Marek show.

I don't know why, because I don't know how you do that with no 1st rounders until 2026.
The only way to make that work cap wise, even if say SJ retained 2.5per (bringing EK to 9mil annually), would be to include one of:

Bobrovsky (NMC, 10per for three more years)
Ekblad (NMC next season then a NTC in the final year/7.5per for two more years)
Reinhart (6.5per for one more year)

Idk how else to make it work financially without one of those guys involved and a bit of retention on SJ’s part.

If Ekblad wasn’t involved, we’d have Ekblad, karlsson, and montour all jammed on the right side. It makes more sense if Ekblad was involved but I don’t see why he waives to go to a rebuilding team right after making it to the final. Unless it’s a 3-team trade where the assets for Ekblad go to SJ

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The only way to make that work cap wise, even if say SJ retained 2.5per (bringing EK to 9mil annually), would be to include one of:

Bobrovsky (NMC, 10per for three more years)
Ekblad (NMC next season then a NTC in the final year/7.5per for two more years)
Reinhart (6.5per for one more year)

Idk how else to make it work financially without one of those guys involved and a bit of retention on SJ’s part.

If Ekblad wasn’t involved, we’d have Ekblad, karlsson, and montour all jammed on the right side. It makes more sense if Ekblad was involved but I don’t see why he waives to go to a rebuilding team right after making it to the final. Unless it’s a 3-team trade where the assets for Ekblad go to SJ
This would end up being an incredibly complicated trade with Montour going elsewhere as well. How many more of these major deals can florida make?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
#4/#5 defensemen.

A guy with some whispers about a buyout.

And a 31.

Funny.
Trade Edmundson at the deadline and look at it as a 1st + 2nd + a 6.5M cap dump for 4 years

They can probably beat it but its a a start

Actually, looking through this thread, nobody has beat that offer, except for the one fake news rumor from the Oilers

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hot take: sharks can retain like 4M. Karlsson at 7.5x4 is a steal. On the open market if EK65 was UFA this summer, someone would give him 9x4.

Even at 7.5 he is not a steal. He is 33 years old with a major injury history. He could just as easily only have a 35 pt season next year as well, like he did the past 2 or so seasons. He could also get hurt again. If he is healthy and can give 2 to 3 seasons of 60 pts than he is a steal and good to get. Honestly I don't think he is the one that will age like a Selanne, especially not with the knee issues he has had. Then there is also the fact that he gets a lot of pts, but he is pretty bad defensively and racked up a good minus total in his career getting those pts.

I think SJS is expecting way too high a return and I think the team that does get him, if they give up too much will regret they made the move.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Holy lord is that a terrible offer. The sharks are paying 5.5 million for Karlsson to play for another team and all they get back is a 1st next year and cap dumps. Get a clue

He makes 11.5 million a season at age 33. He is very likely to get worse very soon. Getting rid of him for anything really is good for SJS. Also, any of the teams that would want him are contenders and almost none of them have any real cap space, which means the Sharks leverage crumbles even more. There can't be more than 2-4 serious teams inquiring about him, unless SJS eats 50%, which they said they won't do.

Sharks will for sure have to take a bad deal back and then the return still wouldn't or shouldn't be great.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Four more years at 11.5M - last season certainly helped raise his trade value, but I still don't know if he even has positive trade value yet.

i.e. if San Jose offered him to any team in the league solely for "future considerations", does any team do it? IMO the answer is no.

San Jose needs to retain salary, or take back a multi-year bad contract as well, and even if they did that the return probably won't be as good as they hope (unless they retain a significant amount of salary).

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
Karlsson being on the team and if he continues to play well, is going to inflate the points totals of others around him. Make them more attractive for trades. He is the biggest attraction for a team that has been very resistant to outright rebuild because they need to sell tickets. Even if the team is trash, he is providing value. The idea that the Sharks are so desperate to get rid of him that they will accept any trash offer that comes their way is kinda ridiculous. Specially if via retention he is basically an 8m/yr guy. If Sharks are retaining, then the return has to be relatively equivalent to a 100 point D man making 8m/year. Which is going to be quite high. A 1st and some cap dumps isn't going to make sense.

If the return isn't something that noticeably brightens the future either via legit assets or by taking the majority if not all of the contract off our hands, a trade doesn't make sense.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yamamoto might be a cap dump, but his value is closer to neutral than negative. He has a ridiculously low buyout penalty if the Sharks don't want him. Ceci is not, he's a 2nd pair RD making only 3.25M. That's a good deal for a rebuilding team not wanting to have a high payroll. We could work something around Jack Campbell instead if you prefer, but I doubt the Sharks want a long term contract here.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but San Jose isn't going to get a very good deal here.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
...Foegele isn't worthless or have negative value, he's just a Bottom Sixer who does the Bottom Sixer job for Bottom Sixer pay...Ceci & Yama-useless, on the other hand, have negative value...
Foegele is a prototypical 3rd line energy guy.

Ceci isn't worthless. If he was a UFA this summer he would get far more than his 3.25M cap hit, and at his cap hit he could be flipped for a good pick at the deadline next year. If Montreal fans think Edmundson is getting a 2nd at the deadline this year, Ceci is certainly worth that and more.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
4 more years at 11.5 per….be ready to retain as most teams who will want him are not going to have much room to fit him in unless another big contract goes back.
Rs have Panarin at similar; setting aside adjustment add for K being the better player, would bread waive for SJ?

Prob need 3 way at min:
K to NYR
P to team X ______________
swag _________________ to SJ

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Trade Edmundson at the deadline and look at it as a 1st + 2nd + a 6.5M cap dump for 4 years

They can probably beat it but its a a start

Actually, looking through this thread, nobody has beat that offer, except for the one fake news rumor from the Oilers
Karlsson has a full NMC and wants to play for a contender. Why would he go there?

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
While yes that offer is not enough it's a 1st a second and a former first round pick that is one of our top prospects. Not a good offer but you missed a couple of assets.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Im a Habs fan and I think extremely highly of Carey Price - and for years I said he was probably the hardest player to trade. And it's because he was so good, not the opposite - but there was a lot of risk tied to contract/age if he lost a step/got injured.

Karlsson has now overtaken Price in my opinion as hardest player to trade.

The problem with Karlsson is that he was really bad for a few years. Looked to be ageing out, didn't care, and has a lot of $$ and term left. And then - last year - fantastic bounce back season. He should win the Norris by a lot in my book.

So, if you trade for him, what do you get? Does he repeat last season's level? Or does he revert back to what he was doing prior? If he plays to the top of his abilities, it's a home run. For teams like Toronto/Edmonton - it could be the difference maker for a cup.

Flipside is - if he reverts back and is bad - his 11.5M likely sinks your team's core. Imagine Edmonton/Toronto adding a Karlsson who goes bad to being bad and compeltely destroying their cap for him and it turns out a negative.

It's a very risky move to add him. I don't know who will, or at what price.

I'm thinking we could maybe see a trade with a ton of conditions. ie:

Edmonton:

Karlsson, 2-4M retained from SJ

SJ:

2nd round pick 2024
Conditional 1st round pick in 2024 (if Karlsson scores above 80 points, or if Oilers make round 3 or more)
Conditional 1st round pick in 2025 (if Oilers make finals in either 24 or 25)

Not sure if the value is exactly there, and conditions can certainly be tweaked - but I just think there could be some very serious conditions that end up determining the overall value of trade.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Rs have Panarin at similar; setting aside adjustment add for K being the better player, would bread waive for SJ?

Prob need 3 way at min:
K to NYR
P to team X ______________
swag _________________ to SJ

What good does he do the Sharks ?
Yes I'd imagine he'd have to be willing to leave NYC and that it be somewhere he'd want to live.
Does he want to win a cup?

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
What would the Sharks be looking for in this case? The NMC complicated things as well as the salary but what would expect as a realistic return? Is the priority to get out from the contract? Where is their tolerance in terms of how much of a discount they are willing to take to achieve that? I’m not sure…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad