LeBrun: Sharks & Karlsson ''on same page'' to try and get a trade done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Montreal has picks and prospects, mostly left D, to offer, I think a deal could reasonably get done. However, they're just a bit ahead of the Sharks rebuild, so not far off at all and it makes little sense to make this kind of push. Oilers are a very good fit imo.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Depends on what you believe but it was thrown out there that an offer was Bouchard, Bourgault, Puljujarvi, Barrie, and a 1st for Karlsson with retention. I'm not convinced that Montreal is ready for that sort of attempt but I'd be willing to move him there if Montreal was willing to part with something worthwhile and Karlsson was willing. For me, I'm only dealing with who Karlsson would approve going to. Last thing the Sharks need is a lingering Karlsson thing after the season he had. He's earned a trade off the team and the Sharks need to make it work even if it means taking less than expected.
Lol that was never offered and secondly how is that not a good package? A team would be led by an idiot to offer that for karlsson.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Maybe a silly thought, but I wonder if Barry Trotz wants to make a splash with the draft in Nashville. Maybe they could spin some of the Ekholm/Jeannot returns for a retained Karlsson?

Nashville doesn't scream contender, but maybe they could pitch him on them being a 97 point team the previous year and this season was just a Murphy's Law year with injuries.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Montreal has picks and prospects, mostly left D, to offer, I think a deal could reasonably get done. However, they're just a bit ahead of the Sharks rebuild, so not far off at all and it makes little sense to make this kind of push. Oilers are a very good fit imo.
I see Toronto somehow

Reactions: Grinner

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Panthers got mentioned today on the Jeff Marek show.

I don't know why, because I don't know how you do that with no 1st rounders until 2026.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Tough sell to get an owner to spend 20 million on nothing over the next 4 years
The alternative is to spend over 40 million and being at the bottom anyway. And not having the cost controlled futures in return.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Maybe a silly thought, but I wonder if Barry Trotz wants to make a splash with the draft in Nashville. Maybe they could spin some of the Ekholm/Jeannot returns for a retained Karlsson?

Nashville doesn't scream contender, but maybe they could pitch him on them being a 97 point team the previous year and this season was just a Murphy's Law year with injuries.

We're not trading for a 11.5M a year 33 year old. We're rebuilding.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Probably an underwhelming offer but 2024 1st, 2023 2nd, Foegele, Ceci and Yamamoto for Karlsson at 7.5M.
Probably? Ceci is worthless and Foegele and Yamamoto have negative value. I would only do this deal with $0 of retention which obviously wouldn’t fit under the Oilers cap.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Oh I think the Sharks should have taken that. I don't know if Montreal has any appealing pieces for a swap like that, I thought the framework would be a couple less significant cap dumps and a couple good pieces.

Pulju and Barrie both only had 1 year left, so wouldn't have impacted the Sharks cap long term. Bouchard, Bourgault, and a 1st is a good package on its own.

EDIT: I thought you said "no retention" but point still stands as long as it was like 15% and not 50%
It wasn’t known what the retention figure was but it’s understandable if 40-50% retention would’ve potentially not been worth it to the Sharks.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Probably? Ceci is worthless and Foegele and Yamamoto have negative value. I would only do this deal with $0 of retention which obviously wouldn’t fit under the Oilers cap.

...Foegele isn't worthless or have negative value, he's just a Bottom Sixer who does the Bottom Sixer job for Bottom Sixer pay...Ceci & Yama-useless, on the other hand, have negative value...

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
He'd be a no-brainer to acquire for most teams if not for the severe injury risk.

I think a team like Minnesota that is desperate for offense makes sense.

I still hope he comes back to Ottawa in 4 years, which would make sense as he still lives here in the offseason.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Takes two to tango on this. It's understandable why a team would balk at the contract but retention will soften that landing for them. It's whether they're willing to actually fork over real assets to get something done. It's not as if Edmonton's offer was all that great to begin with and I'm sure the Sharks will still end up landing a similar deal anyway.

Karlsson wants to compete. I can't imagine he waives for Montreal right now.
He was mostly joking but top 10 teams in the nhl who can add 11.5m is rare

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
...Foegele isn't worthless or have negative value, he's just a Bottom Sixer who does the Bottom Sixer job for Bottom Sixer pay...Ceci & Yama-useless, on the other hand, have negative value...
Average bottom six wingers don’t cost 2.75M on the open market. Frankly it would be harder to sign a comparable right handed D to Ceci for what he makes.

Reactions: Czechboy

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d do a 1st, 2nd + Bourgault. Ceci and Yamamoto as cap balancers. The issue will be the retention amount. I believe SJ stated 18% is the max. It would need to be closer to double that.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I’d do a 1st, 2nd + Bourgault. Ceci and Yamamoto as cap balancers. The issue will be the retention amount. I believe SJ stated 18% is the max. It would need to be closer to double that.
We’re not retaining over $4 million a year for 4 years and taking on another $6 million in cap dumps for a late 1st, late 2nd and a bust. There will be better offers.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Like...Sharks need a full rebuild. They should just retain half and get a monster package. That cap is gonna be pretty useless for them the next few years anyway.
How would you feel if I asked you "give me a few million dollars every year for four years to pay this guy we gave up the farm TO NOT TO PLAY FOR US"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad