Rumor: Sharks interested in D Radim Simek

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It says that he already signed a contract with a team but doesn't want to confirm until Worlds are over. Gudas gave a little hint during a recent interview that Simek will play for a team that has an outstanding defender ("one of the best in the league throughout the last years"). Don't know if that really narrows it down, but maybe he means Ottawa?

Well, we know for sure he isn't talking about his own team. :laugh:

The fact that he specifically mentioned the last few years tells me what I have already been telling myself is that he is coming here.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Does anyone watching the Worlds think he can be an NHLer now? Would he be above Heed on the depth chart?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Quote from a czech poster on the trade boards:

Doesn't really mean much, it's not like there are a lot of other Czech D out there. The only other one I can think of is Polak. What were the replies to that question?

I watched the shift-by-shift video that someone posted in the trade forums Simek thread. Seemed like a very Paul Martin type of player. I was not overly impressed but it was just 20 minutes of film, so I'm not drawing any conclusions.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If he can replace Schlemko, I think that would open up a valuable trade chip. I think Schlemko did an amazing job this season and in the play-offs - which given his excellent contract and offensive RHD status could allow for a great return.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If he can replace Schlemko, I think that would open up a valuable trade chip. I think Schlemko did an amazing job this season and in the play-offs - which given his excellent contract and offensive RHD status could allow for a great return.

Schlemko plays the right side if asked but he is an LHD.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It doesn't make sense for him to sign in San Jose. The Sharks are loaded with defensive depth.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
I watched the shift-by-shift video that someone posted in the trade forums Simek thread. Seemed like a very Paul Martin type of player. I was not overly impressed but it was just 20 minutes of film, so I'm not drawing any conclusions.

Are you saying you don't want a younger Paul Martin?

It doesn't make sense for him to sign in San Jose. The Sharks are loaded with defensive depth.

Well we could lose some of that depth in the expansion. So this is either preparing to replenish after that, or maybe we're looking to trade someone. Or both.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Well we could lose some of that depth in the expansion. So this is either preparing to replenish after that, or maybe we're looking to trade someone. Or both.

I think the "or both" line of thinking is most likely. I think SJ could easily lose two D-Men from their top 6 this year. One in the expansion draft (Martin/Dillon/Schlemko) and a trade of Braun in a package for a top 6 forward (JVR comes to mind with Toronto's need for a top 4 D-Man). So this would leave the D-corps somewhat thin, but also open up cap room. The defense was excellent this year, but with Burns extension kicking in and Vlasic needing a big extension next year DW is going to need to clear out some money from the defense to facilitate these deals while not completely neglecting the forwards.

So I think two D-Men leave from last year. Demelo gets promoted to play with Vlasic (assuming Braun is moved) and the Sharks have Heed, Mueller, and Sidek battle it out for the 6th and 7th spots in the lineup or bring in a veteran D-Man (Hello Cody Franson) to replenish one of the spots.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I think the "or both" line of thinking is most likely. I think SJ could easily lose two D-Men from their top 6 this year. One in the expansion draft (Martin/Dillon/Schlemko) and a trade of Braun in a package for a top 6 forward (JVR comes to mind with Toronto's need for a top 4 D-Man). So this would leave the D-corps somewhat thin, but also open up cap room. The defense was excellent this year, but with Burns extension kicking in and Vlasic needing a big extension next year DW is going to need to clear out some money from the defense to facilitate these deals while not completely neglecting the forwards.

So I think two D-Men leave from last year. Demelo gets promoted to play with Vlasic (assuming Braun is moved) and the Sharks have Heed, Mueller, and Sidek battle it out for the 6th and 7th spots in the lineup or bring in a veteran D-Man (Hello Cody Franson) to replenish one of the spots.

If Mueller is even considered a Sharks top 6 Dman when the season starts then we might as well just trade everyone with value and tank. He's not an NHL Defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad