Rumor: Sharks in on Kovalchuk sweepstakes

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I don't really care about who is nominally the 1st or 2nd line, but Couture needs to be #1 in fwd 5v5 time next year. If the org expects Thornton to be an elite #1C next season coming off of ACL surgery while picking up his social security check, the Sharks are not making a cup run.

Sharks have been blessed by Thornton's durability and elite play. It can't be an assumption at this point.

I'd like to see a large uptick in Hertl's ice time as well.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Kovy-Thornton-Burns is a good 1st line.

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-DeMelo
Schlemko-Dillon

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Barring injury JT plays second line Center this year. The following year I suspect he would be dropped down to the 3C. Where he will do just fine, his hands and vision are still tops. Put some young pups on his wing and watch him play. No reason JT doesnt have 3 more years with 40 + assists. I have no problem signing JT two three years with the numbers I suggested

You can't give a multi-year contract with bonuses. They're only applicable to one year contracts.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Vlasic-Braun
Martin-DeMelo
Schlemko-Dillon

This was my immediate thought as well

I can't see any positives to signing Kovalchuck other than increased ticket sales, and I am honestly not too concerned with the organization's bottom line

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Sharks have been blessed by Thornton's durability and elite play. It can't be an assumption at this point.

I am actually assuming that we just saw Jumbo's final 50 point year

I think we can pencil in Joe for 5 goals and 40 assists for the next several years, and you don't want that little production out of your 1C

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I absolutely, one hundred percent am all-aboard the Kovalchuk train, especially if he can be had for just pick(s) and/or a mediocre prospect or two (Mueller would be great).

Last seasons was pretty clearly chock full of pretty ****** luck and I do firmly believe they can bounce back a bit and be dangerous in the playoffs. Kovalchuk, while older, is still capable of being a gamebreaker and would be a huge boost. Well worth the gamble for one last solid run at the Cup.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Vlasic-Braun
Martin-DeMelo
Schlemko-Dillon

:laugh: I looked at this for a good 30 seconds before I realized that you were responding to the suggestion of Burns going back to forward. I kept thinking, "something's missing here... I can't put my finger on it..."

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Vlasic-Braun
Martin-DeMelo
Schlemko-Dillon

That's wrong.

Vlasic-Braun
Schlemko-Dillon
Ryan-Heed

which is the best shutdown pairing two years ago
which is the best pairing among 3rd pairing dmen
which is the best tiny pairing in the AHL

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Out: Joel Ward
In: Ilya Kovalchuck

We managed to get younger and higher scoring!

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Wouldn't having Kovy means Burns moving to forward is even lesser of a requirement?

Kovy-Couture-Donskoi
Hansen-Jumbo-Pavs
Meier-Hertl-Boedker
Sorenson/Labanc-Tierney-Karlsson

Not sure if there is any room for Ward at all there. Also, I am going under the assumption that if Kovy is signed, we are getting both Jumbo and Patty back.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I think he meant winning Lord Stanley's cup as getting a cup here on these forums typically means that. So that means they have to be a eastern team. Beating pacific teams largely just means the team has a shot of the campbell soup bowl. That's not the banner I want to see hoisted.

Yeah, no ****. And the East doesn't look great either. Toronto is gonna be a powerhouse but they're not there yet. Pittsburgh isn't gonna make a third straight Cup Final. Washington will lose multiple key pieces because of their cap situation and Ovechkin is clearly in decline. Tampa is the only team that would really scare me but Stamkos can't stay healthy. Regardless, to say the Sharks "absolutely" won't win the Cup even with Kovalchuk is way too absolute a statement during an era when the league lacks true elite teams. We're in a weird transition period between the Hawks/Kings era and the upcoming Leafs/Oilers era.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Has anybody seen tape on Kovi recently? Does he still have wheels? I remember the guy being able to absolutely jet. Would be fun to see him on the PP

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016
Go after kovy, trade Ward and boedker, sign radulov. Profit. Let Timo and labanc get more seasoning in the AHL. Could also trade Tierney for a pick and resign/start Carpenter

Kovalchuk - Cooch - Radulov
Pavs - Jumbo - Patty
Donskoi - Hertl - Hansen
Melker - Tierney - Sorenson

Could also try to work something around Braun + a small add for JVR instead of going after radulov.

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
If the Sharks are fortunate enough to sign Kovalchuk, that doesn't mean they can just roll out the same squad +Kovalchuk. Other trades and adjustments are going to need to take place.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
If the Sharks are fortunate enough to sign Kovalchuk, that doesn't mean they can just roll out the same squad +Kovalchuk. Other trades and adjustments are going to need to take place.

Agreed. We still need more speed.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Go after kovy, trade Ward and boedker, sign radulov. Profit. Let Timo and labanc get more seasoning in the AHL. Could also trade Tierney for a pick and resign/start Carpenter

Kovalchuk - Cooch - Radulov
Pavs - Jumbo - Patty
Donskoi - Hertl - Hansen
Melker - Tierney - Sorenson

Could also try to work something around Braun + a small add for JVR instead of going after radulov.

Who did vegas take? Going by your lineup, it looks like it was a dman, Braun isn't expendable.

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016
Who did vegas take? Going by your lineup, it looks like it was a dman, Braun isn't expendable.
Ward or boedker. Throw in someone like chartier or oregean for them to take one of them. Trade the other to a different team.

If they took Dillon, I'm pretty sure one of Ryan, Bergman, DeMelo or simek could fill his spot and possibly be even better and I think a Heed Vlasic pairing would be solid. Big gamble to take, but playing it safe doesn't get you a cup unless you're lucky.

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Ward or boedker. Throw in someone like chartier or oregean for them to take one of them. Trade the other to a different team.

If they took Dillon, I'm pretty sure one of Ryan, Bergman, DeMelo or simek could fill his spot and possibly be even better and I think a Heed Vlasic pairing would be solid. Big gamble to take, but playing it safe doesn't get you a cup unless you're lucky.

If the Sharks want Vegas to take Boedker or Ward I imagine it would have to be something like Vegas' rumored deal with Chicago, where the Hawks will trade them TVR as long as they select Kruger in the expansion draft. I don't think a prospect would be enough though from the Sharks, they'd probably want Schlemko, Dillon or Braun.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Honestly do we really want to get rid of Ward or Boedker that bad? I don't think cap space is an issue this year. Boedker is still very servicable in the lineup and can move up and down it. Ward is on his last year and I would not care if he spends time down in the AHL (he has an NTC and not a NMC) for most of the year.

We get Ward off the books before 2018-19 anyway. But if there is a year I am worried about it is 2018-19. Both Hertl and Vlasic are due for new contracts and will get significant raises. I doubt we re-sign Hansen. Obviously this is all assuming we still have Patty and Jumbo on the team. If not, we should have atleast another 9-10M to play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad