Rumor: Sharks in on Kovalchuk sweepstakes

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
We're not getting the cup with this roster even with Kovy

So what should DW do? Throw in the towel? Be content icing a mediocre roster and becoming the 2010 Minnesota Wild? I don't think Kovy is a great idea because I want to rebuild, but realistically he's a very good fit since we're presumably still trying to compete (until DW says we aren't, I think it's safe for assume we will try).

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
At this point i have no clue what DW's thinking. You still need to fill the void Jumbo eventually leaves, draft pick? Duchene?, Galchenyuk?. Kovy presumably fills the void left by Marleau if Patty doesnt get resigned, ive also seen Drouins name floated around but Yzermans not gonna wanna part with him for chump change. With not alot of cap room, not too many moveable assets, what options does he have?

Last edited by a moderator:

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
I firmly believe JT feels he can play another 3 years. There are some stats he wants to add to before hanging up the skates. I can see a 3yr deal loaded with incentives. Base salary 3yr/13mil. Something like 5,4,4 + bonuses.
Joe will stay and play

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
We need to get faster.

Yes, that is my primary concern too. If Kovy still has the wheels to lead a rush up ice, i'm interested. If he is just a hired gun to score on set plays then no thanks.

Also he must be defensively responsible

Admittedly I dont watch any KHL so I don't know the situation on either of those aspects.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
I firmly believe JT feels he can play another 3 years. There are some stats he wants to add to before hanging up the skates. I can see a 3yr deal loaded with incentives. Base salary 3yr/13mil. Something like 5,4,4 + bonuses.
Joe will stay and play

Come on man. No way does Thornton have 3 GOOD years of hockey left. I wouldn't be opposed to a 1 year deal if we have a shot at winning it next year, but not top line minutes. I'd rather have Marleau on a longer term because at least he can still somewhat move. 3 years for JT is ludacris.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Honestly, **** it, let's do this.

As long as we don't give up someone really good (offlimits: Hertl, Meier, Labanc), let's just go for it.

However, let's hope this isn't another Erat for Forsberg level trade of a last grasp of a GM trying to compete.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Come on man. No way does Thornton have 3 GOOD years of hockey left. I wouldn't be opposed to a 1 year deal if we have a shot at winning it next year, but not top line minutes. I'd rather have Marleau on a longer term because at least he can still somewhat move. 3 years for JT is ludacris.

Barring injury JT plays second line Center this year. The following year I suspect he would be dropped down to the 3C. Where he will do just fine, his hands and vision are still tops. Put some young pups on his wing and watch him play. No reason JT doesnt have 3 more years with 40 + assists. I have no problem signing JT two three years with the numbers I suggested

Jul 10, 2010
Marleau-Thornton-xxx (99% Pavelski)

Kovy-Couture-xxx

Meier-Hertl-xxx

fill in the xxx's with any of Pavelski, LaBlanc, Boedker, hansen, donskoi etc

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I am so down with this. I don't care about the future one bit. Thornton and Marleau getting a Cup is the only thing I want out of any hockey future I can foresee.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
We're not getting the cup with this roster even with Kovy

That's an awfully bold statement considering the current state of the West. Chicago & LA are done as serious contenders. Anaheim is gonna lose a top-four defenseman, has shaky goaltending and Corey Perry is well on his way to becoming Avs-era Jarome Iginla if he's not there already. Edmonton's blueline is still a joke and we would have easily beaten them this year if we were even halfway healthy and they're also gonna trade Eberle for nothing making them even more reliant on two forwards. Nashville is the only team clearly better than us but we know how much of a wildcard Rinne can be and it's extremely difficult to make back-to-back Cup Finals anyway. If we add Kovalchuk without losing a significant piece and Thornton has even a moderate bounceback, we'll have the deepest forward corps in the conference to go along with a good blueline than can be great if Braun bounces back or is upgraded on.

If we're not gonna rebuild, there's zero reason not to go for it with the West as wide open as it's been in years. There's no reason we can't make the Final next year.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
That's an awfully bold statement considering the current state of the West. Chicago & LA are done as serious contenders. Anaheim is gonna lose a top-four defenseman, has shaky goaltending and Corey Perry is well on his way to becoming Avs-era Jarome Iginla if he's not there already. Edmonton's blueline is still a joke and we would have easily beaten them this year if we were even halfway healthy and they're also gonna trade Eberle for nothing making them even more reliant on two forwards. Nashville is the only team clearly better than us but we know how much of a wildcard Rinne can be and it's extremely difficult to make back-to-back Cup Finals anyway. If we add Kovalchuk without losing a significant piece and Thornton has even a moderate bounceback, we'll have the deepest forward corps in the conference to go along with a good blueline than can be great if Braun bounces back or is upgraded on.

If we're not gonna rebuild, there's zero reason not to go for it with the West as wide open as it's been in years. There's no reason we can't make the Final next year.

This one time I absolutely agree with Sideshow! If we can get Kovalchuck without giving anything too valuable we should absolutely do it. Jumbo has long summer and it is reasonable to expect him to have better season next year than he had this year.

And we have so deep forward corps that Jumbo doesn't necessarily have to be a 70-point player. Hell, Preds still have a good chance to win the cup finals without Johansen. We have reasonable shot at the Cup next year and we should take advantage of it. We can rebuild after Thornton and Marleau retires and tank hard by then. But for now we still have our excellent Dcore, great goalie and Pavs, Couture and very deep forward corps. It would be stupid to start rebuild now because we would have too good team to tank and get a top pick. So only logical solution would be go for it and try everything even if the end would be bitter.

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
So what should DW do? Throw in the towel? Be content icing a mediocre roster and becoming the 2010 Minnesota Wild? I don't think Kovy is a great idea because I want to rebuild, but realistically he's a very good fit since we're presumably still trying to compete (until DW says we aren't, I think it's safe for assume we will try).

Rebuild, not plaster patchwork which is what many of us are pointing out that it will not will a cup.

Will it hurt is probably you're next question, and the answer is yes. Largely because they held onto Marleau and Thornton far too long, and lost out on getting 1st round draft choices from them.

That's an awfully bold statement considering the current state of the West. Chicago & LA are done as serious contenders...

I think he meant winning Lord Stanley's cup as getting a cup here on these forums typically means that. So that means they have to be a eastern team. Beating pacific teams largely just means the team has a shot of the campbell soup bowl. That's not the banner I want to see hoisted.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Rebuild, not plaster patchwork which is what many of us are pointing out that it will not will a cup.

Will it hurt is probably you're next question, and the answer is yes. Largely because they held onto Marleau and Thornton far too long, and lost out on getting 1st round draft choices from them.

I think he meant winning Lord Stanley's cup as getting a cup here on these forums typically means that. So that means they have to be a eastern team. Beating pacific teams largely just means the team has a shot of the campbell soup bowl. That's not the banner I want to see hoisted.

They would not be getting 1st round draft picks for thornton and marleau any ways. Both will be signed with no movement clauses or won't sign here period. There will be zero trades made for thornton and marleau.

Thornton and marleaus contracts this summer will tell the entire picture of what wilson and company are thinking.

Both let go via free agency = rebuild.

Both signed to contracts = contending for as long as the contracts are signed for.

And i am a firm believer that if 1 is signed both will be signed.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
They would not be getting 1st round draft picks for thornton and marleau any ways. Both will be signed with no movement clauses or won't sign here period. There will be zero trades made for thornton and marleau.

Thornton and marleaus contracts this summer will tell the entire picture of what wilson and company are thinking.

Both let go via free agency = rebuild.

Both signed to contracts = contending for as long as the contracts are signed for.

And i am a firm believer that if 1 is signed both will be signed.
If both of them take a significant pay cut and the team is contending, then a Kovy trade is justified.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Most people didn't think last year's team was a cup contender either.

If Kovalchuk is available at a doable price, Wilson should pull the trigger, unless they're in an open rebuild.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Most people didn't think last year's team was a cup contender either.

If Kovalchuk is available at a doable price, Wilson should pull the trigger, unless they're in an open rebuild.

No one thought ottawa was either this year. You make the playoffs and anything can happen.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
The man can score. Let's not forget that his leaving the Devils is one of the main causes as to why that team to tailspin from contending playoff team to craptastic

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Marleau-Thornton-xxx (99% Pavelski)

Kovy-Couture-xxx

Meier-Hertl-xxx

fill in the xxx's with any of Pavelski, LaBlanc, Boedker, hansen, donskoi etc

I don't really care about who is nominally the 1st or 2nd line, but Couture needs to be #1 in fwd 5v5 time next year. If the org expects Thornton to be an elite #1C next season coming off of ACL surgery while picking up his social security check, the Sharks are not making a cup run.

Sharks have been blessed by Thornton's durability and elite play. It can't be an assumption at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad