Post-Game Talk: Sharks def. Canucks - 4-1 (Larsen)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Easily outclassed tonight. Inevitable slide out of the playoff picture begins.

- Sedins had a decent game and were probably unlucky not to score.

- Horvat skated well but was back to being too individual like earlier in the year. Baertschi is back on one of his ice cold stretches.

- Sutter had a good defensive game but his linemates were rubbish.

- 4th line was very good again, nice to see them create a goal.

- Edler wasn't great and Stecher showed his defensive issues tonight and was overmatched by the bigger Shark forwards.

- Tanev-Sbisa were solid for the most part.

- Larsen was just horrible despite scoring a lucky goal. Complete trainwreck all night and dragged Tryamkin down with him. Is idiotic to be scratching Biega after how good Tryamkin looked next to him.

- Miller ... meh.

Would have preferred Marleau didn't get #500 against us but congrats to a classy player. Beauty goal to get there, too.

Good post. Agree with pretty much all of it.

Will add.. Sbisa had a rough 1st before settling down.
Sutter had a very good game and created chances on his own with speed and surprising with his hands with a couple of dangles.
Larsen has the IQ and puck handling, but simply isn't NHL caliber skill or strength... way too many weak plays on/with the puck. I.e. You can see what he wants to do, but he can't quite execute it.

Hansen's return will help depth if he's placed back with the twins... pushes down Eriksson and Megna. Gaunce could use a seat... he's got NOTHING going.. at all. Skille-Chaput-Megna 4th?

Looking forward to getting Hansen back.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Lack of offensive ability again apparent. San Jose provided us with lots of turnovers but the team lacked the speed and execution to do much with them. Give Jones credit but very little touch around the net by the Canucks. Team lacks enough speed in transition to turn turnovers into odd man rushes or open breaks.

The Good

Horvat - the only one with enough speed to create chances off turnovers or by getting through the neutral zone with speed. Left more or less on his own as teammates couldn't keep in the play.

Sedins - created all kinds of chances and were solid enough in their own zone. Couldn't get a bounce around the net. Thought they were the best line in the game.

The Bad

Larsen - yes he scored but he had huge problems deep in his end. Does not seem to have the strength to fend off people around the net. Beiga is a better player. Trade him for anything you can get.

Megna - does nothing. Can't win with this type of player.

Granlund - Not his kind of game. Lots of board work and puck battles and Granlund bounced out of the play. Ends up on the perimeter, doing nothing, in games like this.

Baertschi - has to get more involved than this. Another who struggled in traffic and couldn't get himself any separation to make a play

Stecher - has to be moving his feet all the time and move the puck before he gets tied up in puck battles. In this game his lack of size a factor b/c not getting to the puck quick enough.

Burrows - played ok in spots a but overall was way behind the play. Anchor on his line in this game

Sbisa - looked heavy legged in this game and was hanging back too much to contribute to any offensive play. Had been sort of getting more involved lately but not in this game. Sluggish in his own end as well.

Other Points

San Jose will never win a thing playing like this. Without Burns on top of his game this team is little better than ordinary. Guys like Meier are as bad as any player on the Canucks. Throughout much of the game they showed no ability to control the play and only great goaltending saved them.

Thought Miller was not at his best.

Best thing about results like this are that it hopefully moves the team away from being buyers at the deadline. Team should move Miller (but won't) and for sure move Burrows at or before dead line. Have to be a great offer for Hansen but this needs to be a consideration also. Sbisa should also be considered

Stated during the game that Canucks would not move draft choices. Problem here is that the first round this year is really lacking in quality. If a team were to offer a excellent young player you'd have to at least think about it. I hate how the Canucks makes these blanket decisions without considering the a specifics of a situation. If you are drafting from 5 to 10 and get someone like Nugent Hopkins offered for that choice you have to think about it. But given the block heads running the team I guess they'll stick to some idea (like the age gap theory) and disregard the other possibilities.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Kinda shocked Tryamkin gets a free pass here.....he was terrible. Missed passes, shots, bad line change almost cost us, threw one to Miller from behind the net, struggled with the outlet. WTF is Willie thinking with Larsen....at least Biega is solid despite being overmatched sometimes. Yes let's throw the big rookie a defensive train wreck and see what happens against the Cup finalists...lol.

Larson Chaput and Gaunce could go away and never come back and this team and mostly myself wouldn't miss them one bit. Complete minor league performances throughout this season. And I don't care Larsen scored he was terrible....make it stop.

I can't believe I've even wasted 2 minutes defending Granlund this year. When the games start to ramp up since X mas he's been a complete no show. I guess I've watched his brother too much this year and was thinking he could make a big leap.....I'm wrong........were so awfully soft and he just adds to it.

Megna and Skille have been decent depth players and continue to bust a hump. I'm ok with one of these guys coming back next year....I prefer Megna.

Sedin's unfortunately look like they have one foot in a beer league and one still in the show. Complementary at best now.

I can't stand Eriksson with the Sedin's .....just so vanilla. Honey Badger makes such a difference to that lines ability to score and threaten in different ways.

It's February and our Best player still hasn't been given a chance with Eriksson and Baertschi .....I'm frustrated by this.

Sutter Horvat Tanev Edler Stecher were good tonight.....with some warts.

Sbisa Baertschi and the Sedin line for half the game was ok

Burrows has fallen off a cliff.

Frankly we were lucky not to get vented for 6 or 7 with all the blunders and poor defensive coverage.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
goJnAmy.png

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
we lost because we had 1 week off

this would've been a win otherwise

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't think this game changes anything in terms of how the team views itself... I.e. Burrows writing off the first period due to layoff..
Justifications will be easiliy made for s single game like this.

It will be reevaluated in chunks. They'll evaluate a bit after the road trip... if it goes bad- well it's the road.. it goes well- progress!

But... if they fail on the big home stand coming up.. we're done, the team will be done, that will be the end of the 'hard working/never give up' rep this team has earned and it will be reflected in their play the rest of the season.
However, if they hold serve, and win vs some tough competition, this team will grind it out till gm 82...

Cant wait to find out.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Thornton manhandling Stecher on the one goal is exactly the reason I'm hesitant to assume Stecher will automatically get better just because he gets older with more experience. Similar with Hutton. It's not a guarantee these guys develop to be good D-men on a GOOD blueline.

That isn't to say they are to blame or only to blame. If you go back through 5-on-5 shots you'll often find that the opposition has major clusters of shots right in the center of the ice from top of crease to low slot. It's a result of consistently losing the battles down low. Essentially all the D-men not named Tanev struggle down low. Some because they aren't strong enough others because they are slow to react or make the wrong play. And Tanev, god love him, misses 15 games a year because he will take the punishment down low to make the right play. The centers play a big role in that as well of course.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Thornton manhandling Stecher on the one goal is exactly the reason I'm hesitant to assume Stecher will automatically get better just because he gets older with more experience. Similar with Hutton. It's not a guarantee these guys develop to be good D-men on a GOOD blueline.

That isn't to say they are to blame or only to blame. If you go back through 5-on-5 shots you'll often find that the opposition has major clusters of shots right in the center of the ice from top of crease to low slot. It's a result of consistently losing the battles down low. Essentially all the D-men not named Tanev struggle down low. Some because they aren't strong enough others because they are slow to react or make the wrong play. And Tanev, god love him, misses 15 games a year because he will take the punishment down low to make the right play. The centers play a big role in that as well of course.

I don't see the correlation with Stecher and Hutton in regards to getting manhandled. Is it because they're "small"? Sure Stecher is undersized, but Hutton is 6'3 210lbs. Experience is key in players coming up with solutions to deal with that kind of play individually in a way that works with their size/abilities.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Two thoughts on last nights game.

1) The Vancouver Canucks have no business being in the Stanley Cup Playoffs

2) Brent Burns is very very impressive. In my opinion the best Defenseman in the league.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I don't see the correlation with Stecher and Hutton in regards to getting manhandled. Is it because they're "small"? Sure Stecher is undersized, but Hutton is 6'3 210lbs. Experience is key in players coming up with solutions to deal with that kind of play individually in a way that works with their size/abilities.

I think there is room for one undersized defense man on our team with lots of jam.

Troy Stecher!!!! But once you have two of them ( Larsen ) then you are in big trouble especially verses a team like the Sharks.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
remember those close calls in the first 5 minutes. it could have been way uglier the the 4-1 score

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Hutton may be bigger but he has trouble in that area as well. And if it isn't outmuscled then he's making other mistakes to lose battles down low.

Yes experience is key but it's foolish to assume that experience is going to result in players hitting ceilings. They most likely won't. They may stagnate. Will Hutton improve? Maybe but he hasn't really this year compared to last for instance.

I'm just saying that for whatever reason...size or smarts or skill or footspeed or whatever nearly this entire blueline has been dominated down low and along the boards in their zone for most of the season. A lot of it of late has been covered up by goaltending. The Thornton play was an obvious example last night. It's that type of thing that tells me that despite what management may say it's clear that this team is nowhere near done being rebuilt. I'm not truly convinced it's even started.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'm not too concerned with Stecher and Hutton. They're both smart (particulary Stecher) and will learn to compensate. Stecher will always have that problem though, and it will limit how useful he does become.

The other thing is that Joe Thornton has made a career out of doing that and he's one of the few in the league.

A player like that needs to have a matchup in coverage (ie Sutter or Horvat & Tryamkin or Gudbranson) to help mitigate his impact.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
As far as losses go, this was a really fun one to watch live. Canucks got behind way too early in this game, they looked rusty out of the gate, but once they settled in they were dominant for the rest of the game. So many chances in the second and third, but no finish.

-Sedins looked fresh, they did some good work to create chances but couldn't find the net. Jones robbing Daniel on the doorstep didn't help.

-Eriksson's puck-hounding abilities were on full display. He's quite adept at generating turnovers. It's a part of his game I didn't really know much about before he arrived here, but it's fun to watch. I am expecting a lot more out of his offensive game however.

-Horvat is the truth. He didn't have a great game and still looked like a star out there; his speed is something else. I was hoping to see one dirty Bo-dangle and I got one, though unfortunately he lacked the finish.

-Burrows is showing chemistry with Horvat and Baertschi, but he's not getting younger. He had some real waffle plays...I remarked to my brother, "is he playing with a cork stick?"...tons of stuff bouncing awkwardly off his stick this game.

-The rest of the forwards were very much not good, maybe except for Skille. Megna didn't look like he belonged despite his skating, Chaput has no hands, Gaunce has the determination but his skills aren't quite there yet, and Baertschi Granlund and Sutter all looked rusty. There were a couple of really good breakouts that led to some scoring chances, but they got swallowed up pretty quickly.

-Tryamkin was a force, he swallowed up any pucks and players that came his way, and his reach is an incredible panic button for recovering his mistakes. He had a pretty egregious blunder near the end but the game was too out of hand to matter. I was hoping to see a signature crunching hit but didn't really get one, which was disappointing for my inner hockey kid.

-Stecher looked pumped but couldn't get much going.

-Tanev was brilliant. It's great to see how big he is now, he's really able to win the board battles. His gap control is amazing to watch in person. His senses were really on point, the way he would jump up the ice the instant he sees his partner get full possession.

-Sbisa had a pretty average Sbisa game. That is to say, he skated quickly and won his share of battles, but handled the puck like a live grenade with a couple of terrible turnovers.

-Edler is a sad story. His coverage on Marleau's goal was painful, in fact his coverage on the evening was just painful in general. Even on the Burns goal he's just wandering around. On the offense, he killed the momentum by firing bad shots. He had a couple of great years here but he needs a change of scenery, because he isn't getting any better.

-Larsen was the kind of bad where the entire crowd would collectively sigh whenever he did something brutal -- which was often. Seeing him get a free pass by Willie is concerning. He had some good looks on the powerplay, and got that goal, but he really is not earning the ice time he's getting. He can't handle the bigger players in this league, and he doesn't have the D-zone puck handling to make up for it. I don't expect to see him on the team to end the year.

-Brent Burns was something else. He just looked a full level of speed above any other player on the ice, which I was pretty surprised to see. His play on the Marleau goal was unbelievably quick, though that's no excuse for the Canucks to give up a 2 on 1 from our own blue line.

-Nice to see Marleau get a special milestone. I gotta say though, he's probably had one of the saddest 500-goal careers....no cups, stripped of captaincy, scores his ultimate milestone in a road game...that man can make good things happen, even at his age, but he just does not have good things happen to him. At least the Sharks still have a shot at the Cup.

-Martin Jones was the best player in this game. He never over-committed except for when he needed to steal a goal from Daniel. His positioning was everywhere it needed to be to hold the fort for the Canucks onslaught.

Overall, this was the kind of game where the superior team didn't have to play better to win. They jumped out early, they pounced on poor defensive positioning, and their goalie stoned us the rest of the way. Some bright spots for us, but a lot of troubling defensive problems.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Most telling comment from Willie for me was a question by Jeff Patterson in the post-game presser about Daniel Sedin (who has two goals since November).

Asked Willie if he's still confident he can ever be a front-line scorer again....and the answer to paraphrase "if you've done it in the past, you'll do it again"....pretty well sums up Willie's thinking on veteran players.

He'll give them a lions share of the ice-time; and shift after shift to a veteran; even when it's obvious that at 36 and with his injury history, the offense isn't going to come.

Same with Edler, who was just awful in this game...but I suppose in Willie's mind the present doesn't matter as long as you can look at highlight reels from past seasons when the guy was actually able to do it.

This 'Groundhog Day' coaching style will be one the big reasons for the inevitable slide down the stretch.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Team could have used Gudbranson last night for sure, especially on that goal against Stecher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad