Rumor: Sharks. Barabanov working on new deal

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
NHL has always been a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league...
Sure but the reason Labanc didn't do much this season is that he missed 60+ games after shoulder surgery. He was one of the best 5v5 forwards on the team in 20-21 and there's no reason to think he won't return to that form in 22-23. He's still only 26.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I guess the speed for Ekman? Ekman was soft and a very sneaky goal scorer. Didn't he have over 20 goals with Jumbo? A bunch were breakaway type goals from what I remember. Much faster skater than Barbie. Barbie's one of the tougher little guys the Sharks have had as far as taking abuse and still coming out with the puck or taking a hit to make a play. Frankly I'm surprised he only missed a few games with all the questionable head shots he's taken. Must have a thick skull.:laugh:
He had pretty much the same statline playing with Korky and McCauley in 03-04 as he did in 05-06 with Joe. He didn’t really make that line any better in 05, which is why I believe they dumped him in the offseason.

Yeah, Barbie must be made with some ww2 parts. He takes a beating and just keeps going.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Labanc is a far more proven top six forward than Barabanov. The overreaction to a poor 20 game stretch from Labanc when he has consistently averaged half a point per game with strong possession numbers for his entire career before this season is ridiculous.
Barabanov being a known quantity now is more proven than what Labanc is now. Even during his one good top six season, he was still getting demoted and benched due to poor play. Labanc then was better than Barabanov now but it wasn't by much and you can't just call this season an overreaction. It's more like a culmination of how he also ended that season with poor play that landed him and Meier time on the 4th line.
Sure but the reason Labanc didn't do much this season is that he missed 60+ games after shoulder surgery. He was one of the best 5v5 forwards on the team in 20-21 and there's no reason to think he won't return to that form in 22-23. He's still only 26.
There's plenty of reason to think he won't return to that form. One being that he's never shown much consistency in his game to have that belief unless you're just being contrarian for the sake of it.

Reactions: Alwalys

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Labanc is a far more proven top six forward than Barabanov. The overreaction to a poor 20 game stretch from Labanc when he has consistently averaged half a point per game with strong possession numbers for his entire career before this season is ridiculous.
Labanc's historical production (.51 p/gp) puts him at the very low end of 2nd liners or top end of 3rd liners whereas Barabanov's (.60) is solidly top 6. I personally think Barabanov is not only a better offensive player but is also a much more complete player in the other 2 zones. Labanc's defensive awareness is sub-par and he frequently fails on the break-out/zone clears.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He didn't do much this season because he scored at a sub-Bonino rate in the 21 games he played. Write that off if you will because it fits the narrative, but his most recent play is the best indicator of future performance. Not what he did 3 years ago.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Labanc's historical production (.51 p/gp) puts him at the very low end of 2nd liners or top end of 3rd liners whereas Barabanov's (.60) is solidly top 6. I personally think Barabanov is not only a better offensive player but is also a much more complete player in the other 2 zones. Labanc's defensive awareness is sub-par and he frequently fails on the break-out/zone clears.
A .09 points per game difference is meaningless when you consider one of them has sustained that level of production over 360 games while the other has barely played one full season, which also happens to have been the highest scoring NHL season since the early 90s. Labanc is also a much better goal scorer than Barabanov and every advanced metric disagrees with your opinion that he is worse defensively than Barabanov.

He didn't do much this season because he scored at a sub-Bonino rate in the 21 games he played. Write that off if you will because it fits the narrative, but his most recent play is the best indicator of future performance. Not what he did 3 years ago.
I'm not talking about what he did 3 years ago I'm talking about what he did last season when he was tied with Kane for 2nd on the team in 5v5 goals and 3rd in 5v5 points. Also Labanc's three most common linemates in those 21 games were Bonino, Nieto and Weatherby. No shit he didn't score. Let's see how Barabanov does playing with those guys.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He had pretty much the same statline playing with Korky and McCauley in 03-04 as he did in 05-06 with Joe. He didn’t really make that line any better in 05, which is why I believe they dumped him in the offseason.

Yeah, Barbie must be made with some ww2 parts. He takes a beating and just keeps going.
That is a wild stat that I didn't remember. How is that even possible playing with the hart and rocket winner?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That is a wild stat that I didn't remember. How is that even possible playing with the hart and rocket winner?
The Sharks never really seemed to find a lw to complement JT and Cheech. Bell failed miserably after Ekman left.

That 03-04 had better chemistry than the cup final team. The team really came together after a 3-0 shutout in Carolina that was a crazy, fight-filled game. That team just wasn’t quite talented enough at the end.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Exactly. Comparing Barbie to Labanc is ridiculous. I don't care what the fancy stats say, Barbie is clearly better in all 3 zones and contributes greatly to the production of the teams best line even when he isn't getting an assist. Sometimes it's just a neutral zone play that help guys get into the OZ and create scoring chances of goals. He also doesn't get tossed in board battles like Labanc had up until this season.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The Sharks never really seemed to find a lw to complement JT and Cheech. Bell failed miserably after Ekman left.

That 03-04 had better chemistry than the cup final team. The team really came together after a 3-0 shutout in Carolina that was a crazy, fight-filled game. That team just wasn’t quite talented enough at the end.
Really too bad because Korky would have probably flourished with Jumbo back then.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
A .09 points per game difference is meaningless when you consider one of them has sustained that level of production over 360 games while the other has barely played one full season, which also happens to have been the highest scoring NHL season since the early 90s. Labanc is also a much better goal scorer than Barabanov and every advanced metric disagrees with your opinion that he is worse defensively than Barabanov.

I'm not talking about what he did 3 years ago I'm talking about what he did last season when he was tied with Kane for 2nd on the team in 5v5 goals and 3rd in 5v5 points. Also Labanc's three most common linemates in those 21 games were Bonino, Nieto and Weatherby. No shit he didn't score. Let's see how Barabanov does playing with those guys.
Weird that NHL coaches also didn't think Labanc was a top 6 player and put a player who has barely played one full season on the top line. Maybe the guys who do hockey for a living know something you and advanced metrics don't?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So is Barabanov.
Barabanov is much more effective than Labanc when neither are scoring. Barabanov actually knows how to use his body effectively and play off guys like Hertl and Meier. Labanc has only had success with Couture in recent memory and played his way off that even before this season. It’s funny you ignore this when you consistently defend Boughner’s decisions which this was the entire way. You can’t have it both ways.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Weird that NHL coaches also didn't think Labanc was a top 6 player and put a player who has barely played one full season on the top line. Maybe the guys who do hockey for a living know something you and advanced metrics don't?
Oh that type of opinion tends to freak people out here. You might want to tone that down a little.:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Which NHL coach are you talking about here? It can't be Boughner since Labanc was his 2nd most used forward at even strength last season behind Evander Kane.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

At least in my eyes, Barabanov completes the Timo - Hertl - Bara line. That is a fully functional legit top line. If the Sharks are in the business of convincing us they’re “competing”, then roughly $3M AAV to complete that line makes a lot of sense. There is not many, if any at all, UFAs they could add that would accomplish that with 100% certainty (lol). They could spend more and perhaps get better results, but IMO there aren’t that many obvious options for the price, and historically the Sharks are much better at retaining their own UFAs than bringing in outside replacements via UFA.

I can definitely hear the arguments of small sample size, it’s only been a season and some change. However, when matched with Hertl and a power forward (Kane/Meier) he has been a very effective third piece. Additionally, he’s not 22, he isn’t going through growing pains, he’s more or less the player we all see.

With regards to Lebanc, a player I really like, he seems to be a solid foil to Barabanov, in the sense that, where Barabanov has quite clearly carved a place as the very effective Hertl and Meier/Kane third wheel - Lebanc has never looked comfortable or particularly effective when not centered by Thornton. There’s talent there, and it has been effective at the NHL level. But does this team have the other pieces to maximize it (or at least capitalize on it)? To me it seems murky, at best.

I don’t think Lebanc is a good fit for a tough minute top 6 line with Couture and whomever else they could put on that line. He definitely doesn’t fit with Meier and Hertl as well as Barabanov does. So then, does he do anything, or fit better with Bordeleau on the third line? To me, no.

Lebanc has been a decently productive player, when he has a fit on a line. I don’t think the Sharks are trending towards be able to provide a line that maximizes his contribution. There are very likely other teams that could. I would gladly take Barabanov at ~$3M for a few years, and trade Lebanc at something approaching his value with an eye towards using that value to fill another hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad