Rumor: Sharks. Barabanov working on new deal

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Nils Ekman! This guy reminds me of Nils Ekman for some reason... Fun read from 2011... top 50 Sharks players.

Anyway, 3 million for 3 years seems reasonable if expecting 50ish points for Barbar riding along with the T&T Goal Factory?

Peeps want to get that term where they can, I'd be surprised if he signs another one year deal instead of going UFA and getting at least a two year deal somewhere.

EDIT: I get that T&T aren't written in stone. But if they don't sign Timo, Barbar's numbers should be good enough to fetch a pick or maybe a pick and a prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Nils Ekman! This guy reminds me of Nils Ekman for some reason... Fun read from 2011... top 50 Sharks players.

Anyway, 3 million for 3 years seems reasonable if expecting 50ish points for Barbar riding along with the T&T Goal Factory?

Peeps want to get that term where they can, I'd be surprised if he signs another one year deal instead of going UFA and getting at least a two year deal somewhere.
He’s like a mix of Ekman and Korolyuk.

Reactions: landshark

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He is a complimentary top 6 winger who has excellent chemistry with Hertl -- who the Sharks just signed for all eternity. Although a limited sample, he was excellent with Hertl/Kane last year as well. You keep him if the price/term are reasonable. Given his limited NHL experience, he probably comes at some discount relative to performance (e.g. more value to us than on the UFA market).

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He’s like a mix of Ekman and Korolyuk.
I guess the speed for Ekman? Ekman was soft and a very sneaky goal scorer. Didn't he have over 20 goals with Jumbo? A bunch were breakaway type goals from what I remember. Much faster skater than Barbie. Barbie's one of the tougher little guys the Sharks have had as far as taking abuse and still coming out with the puck or taking a hit to make a play. Frankly I'm surprised he only missed a few games with all the questionable head shots he's taken. Must have a thick skull.:laugh:

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Obviously as an early adopter I'm all in on signing him. I expect him to come in at 3mil or less considering his limited NHL track record. All the complaints about him being ineffective without Hertl are over blown IMO and based on significantly smaller sample sizes while players were likely slumping hence the mixing and matching of line mates. Sharks now need at least one more legit top 6 player to add if the sign Barbrie then whoever the coach is will have some interchangeable parts.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He plays well with Hertl, but I agree I would rather we not sign him. If at some point that chemistry diminishes, I don't feel comfortable playing him anywhere else...and I think he just takes ice time from a younger guy. I'd much rather use that cap-space to atleast try on another forward who can hopefully play with Couture.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I like what Barabanov brings to the table, but looking at the big picture I would rather try something new.
Barabanov should have been used this Trade Deadline, trading him for future assets. Now that he is an UFA and is important for the Sharks right now, he has all the cards and can demand 3-4mil.
He has a lot of good in his toolbox as a player, but like someone mentioned here I'm afraid he could be the next Radim Simek contract wise for us. Right now Sharks don't have room for error on the cap hit situation.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He plays well with Hertl, but I agree I would rather we not sign him. If at some point that chemistry diminishes, I don't feel comfortable playing him anywhere else...and I think he just takes ice time from a younger guy. I'd much rather use that cap-space to atleast try on another forward who can hopefully play with Couture.
A younger guy should have to out play him before we worry about that. Competition is the thing that will make the kids better, not gift wrapping them NHL ice time.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I like what Barabanov brings to the table, but looking at the big picture I would rather try something new.
Barabanov should have been used this Trade Deadline, trading him for future assets. Now that he is an UFA and is important for the Sharks right now, he has all the cards and can demand 3-4mil.
He has a lot of good in his toolbox as a player, but like someone mentioned here I'm afraid he could be the next Radim Simek contract wise for us. Right now Sharks don't have room for error on the cap hit situation.
Kids aren't going to be as ready as soon as many here hope so having a stop gap for a couple years isn't the worst thing. He's likely more effective than any of the young guys coming in the top 6 for at least next season and probably the season after. Then from then on he can play on the 3rd line.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
He fits well on a line with the two best players on the team and is useless anywhere else in the lineup.

That's fine for $1 million but not for $3-4 million on a 2-3 year deal. That has serious potential to end up looking like the forward version of the Radim Simek contract.
This gets pretty circular pretty quickly. You’re pretty much the leader of everyone on this team sucks. So if you’re saying Barabanov is only good with the good players, is that because everyone else sucks or because he sucks?

No one is here saying he’s an all-star, but he’s probably worst case scenario a Donskoi level contributor that we already know meshes really well with our 1C (even dating back to the small sample size at the end of 2021 where they clicked immediately). I’d rather spend $3-3.5 million on him than another player that’s similar caliber and will cost about the same that we don’t know whether or not will mesh with our top guys.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
This gets pretty circular pretty quickly. You’re pretty much the leader of everyone on this team sucks. So if you’re saying Barabanov is only good with the good players, is that because everyone else sucks or because he sucks?

No one is here saying he’s an all-star, but he’s probably worst case scenario a Donskoi level contributor that we already know meshes really well with our 1C (even dating back to the small sample size at the end of 2021 where they clicked immediately). I’d rather spend $3-3.5 million on him than another player that’s similar caliber and will cost about the same that we don’t know whether or not will mesh with our top guys.

We're not getting a 60+ point winger (or a 50-point two-way winger) in free agency for $3-4 million, after all.

We could not spend the money at all, but then we're probably going to be playing prospects higher than we should and not really doing much worth anything with our cap space. I don't know, maybe we can take Vegas' 2nd with Dadanov or something and come out roughly even on the ice, but there probably aren't a lot of options worth much.

I don't think Barabanov's cap hit is going to be blocking anyone in three years. Might as well keep the guy who works really well with Hertl and who won't cost all that much money.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

As I laid out earlier in this thread the results are awful even when Barabanov is playing with Hertl and a different winger or Meier and a different center. You have to play him with both to get the most out of him which seriously reduces his value since it's not that hard to find a winger who can succeed on a line with Hertl and Meier. Labanc can do it and that has the added benefit of pumping up his stats so they can trade him after next season. If the Sharks want to keep playing those two together they need to spend what little cap space they have addressing the middle six.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The Sharks have 4 top 6 forwards (Meier, Hertl, Couture, Barabanov) and I am a bit surprised that some would happily have us go to 3 in the hopes that we could either sign 3 in FA that are better and/or cheaper (esp. given the organization does not have a history of signing such players in FA) or that we think we have ready replacements in the system. You know the old saying about a Russian in hand....

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This has the potential to be worst post of the season.

How many 40 pt players that are at their ufa are making 1 million right now? He’s easily worth 3-4 on a 2-3 year deal.

That does seem to fit into the comps that I see. Although I agree with another poster that said his lack of NHL experience at age 27 will result in a discount.

I think he'll come in at around 3x3.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The Sharks have 4 top 6 forwards (Meier, Hertl, Couture, Barabanov) and I am a bit surprised that some would happily have us go to 3 in the hopes that we could either sign 3 in FA that are better and/or cheaper (esp. given the organization does not have a history of signing such players in FA) or that we think we have ready replacements in the system. You know the old saying about a Russian in hand....

And from what I've seen, they will have two more in Eklund and Bordeleau in a season or two. If they win the lottery and pick up Wright, Sharks' forward future looks good. They just need to get out from Vlasic and Burns' contracts soon. Get another season under Merkley's belt, but he can replace Vlasic now with a much better offensive upside.

Lock up Reimer and Kappo, trade Hill, and there's good light at the end of the tunnel.

I fear they might have soured Eklund by not moving him to the AHL.

In a couple of years, Karlsson's contract is going to be an issue unless there is some significant cap space increases. The new Sharks' GM needs to put a plan in place to address this, rather than waiting until it's painful.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Labanc is a far more proven top six forward than Barabanov. The overreaction to a poor 20 game stretch from Labanc when he has consistently averaged half a point per game with strong possession numbers for his entire career before this season is ridiculous.

Reactions: Patty Ice

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Labanc is a far more proven top six forward than Barabanov. The overreaction to a poor 20 game stretch from Labanc when he has consistently averaged half a point per game with strong possession numbers for his entire career before this season is ridiculous.

NHL has always been a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad