Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Klim Kostin for Radim Simek and 2024 7th

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The Sharks are currently projected to have $38 million in cap space next year, according to CapFriendly, so I don't think you need to buy out Kostin because his salary might feel a little too high.

This is a team that can afford to be overpaying guys a bit--and whatever happens in the small sample size of the rest of this season, if Grier likes what Kostin brings--adding in that he's young enough that he's actually still got a bit of upside to his game--then why not give him a chance next year instead of a maxxed-out or downside veteran?
I agree, there is absolutely no reason not to give him a full year to see what he’s got. We got all of the monies.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks are currently projected to have $38 million in cap space next year, according to CapFriendly, so I don't think you need to buy out Kostin because his salary might feel a little too high.

This is a team that can afford to be overpaying guys a bit--and whatever happens in the small sample size of the rest of this season, if Grier likes what Kostin brings--adding in that he's young enough that he's actually still got a bit of upside to his game--then why not give him a chance next year instead of a maxxed-out or downside veteran?
I agree that they don't need to and can afford to overpay. My issue is why Kostin? The reality is that a 25 year old 4th liner on his 4th team doesn't have even an outside shot at tapping into that upside. He probably has around 5% odds of doing that. I think if that's the sort of bet you want to make, there are better opportunities out there. There are better options out there if you like his size and physicality because Gadjovich played the body more as an example. Smith is having a comparable year in terms of productivity. To me, Kostin is in all likelihood maxed out and two mil for it is not worth it. I'd rather buy him out, open up the roster spot, and fill it with someone that either has more potential upside or has a veteran presence to contribute or is a legitimate physical force or someone that can kill penalties.

Kostin just doesn't bring enough to the table nor have that much potential to justify keeping him the extra year. He needs to show his worth with what's left of this season to earn that, imo. It shouldn't just be given to him because we can. At this stage, the Sharks can and should do better now that they're going to have the flexibility to make real additions to the team.

• Wow

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I agree that they don't need to and can afford to overpay. My issue is why Kostin? The reality is that a 25 year old 4th liner on his 4th team doesn't have even an outside shot at tapping into that upside. He probably has around 5% odds of doing that. I think if that's the sort of bet you want to make, there are better opportunities out there. There are better options out there if you like his size and physicality because Gadjovich played the body more as an example. Smith is having a comparable year in terms of productivity. To me, Kostin is in all likelihood maxed out and two mil for it is not worth it. I'd rather buy him out, open up the roster spot, and fill it with someone that either has more potential upside or has a veteran presence to contribute or is a legitimate physical force or someone that can kill penalties.

Kostin just doesn't bring enough to the table nor have that much potential to justify keeping him the extra year. He needs to show his worth with what's left of this season to earn that, imo. It shouldn't just be given to him because we can. At this stage, the Sharks can and should do better now that they're going to have the flexibility to make real additions to the team.
How did people feel about Zetterlund after 20 games last year. It’s not like Kostin will block any prospects or they need the cap space.

It is actually more important they overpay otherwise they won’t hit the cap floor.

Also 5% is still a chance and worth giving him a roster spot to see how he does.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA

We traded Middleton at 26(I think), whom most would a thought was nothing, to the wild for KK. Granted a lower return than we should have got more but positive outcomes do happen.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How did people feel about Zetterlund after 20 games last year. It’s not like Kostin will block any prospects or they need the cap space.

It is actually more important they overpay otherwise they won’t hit the cap floor.

Also 5% is still a chance and worth giving him a roster spot to see how he does.
Zetterlund sucked in the 20 games after he was acquired but his status coming into this season was never in doubt for reasons that don't apply to Kostin. Zetterlund had 28 points in 59 games in New Jersey. He had played to the standard he's currently playing at previously in New Jersey. Kostin had 36 points in 136 games before coming here. If his purpose here is to play on the 4th line and that's it then no he won't block any prospects and while they don't need the cap space, paying 2 mil for what is at this point an ineffective 4th liner is just a waste. Just because we can afford it doesn't mean it makes sense to just let it happen. Now, if Kostin manages a point per game to finish the season then the decision is super easy to keep him because he's actually showing promise of another level to his game but it's a lot more convincing to do that after 20 games than after 3 considering his average play time. There are going to be far more effective options for hitting the floor than keeping a 2 mil 4th liner. We only need to spend 17 mil with Kostin or 19 mil without him. That's plenty doable when we need six forwards with Kostin or seven without and two defensemen. If Kostin shows over what's left that these first three games are a preview of what's to come then I have no problems keeping him. If he falls off and reverts back to how he was playing before coming here that made three other teams give up on him then they should look for better options to fill out their lineup whether they're paid to take on a contract or can find players in free agency that will add to the team in numerous other capacities that Kostin probably isn't going to do himself. Plus, if anything buying him out will still help them reach the cap floor. 166k in dead cap space then replacing him with some free agent potentially at the same level but will do more both improves the team and helps them reach the floor. While 5% is still a chance it's not necessarily a chance worth giving. I'm sure there are other 4th line caliber players with better odds of making more of an impact even if they're a little older than Kostin.
We traded Middleton at 26(I think), whom most would a thought was nothing, to the wild for KK. Granted a lower return than we should have got more but positive outcomes do happen.
It depends on what one may be looking for here to be a positive outcome with Kostin. Middleton at 24 was still trying to crack the lineup as a project defenseman. Kostin is on his 4th team already with very limited production over two seasons worth of games. I'm not certain what a positive outcome looks like for Kostin here. If all anyone wants out of him is another 4th liner then I don't see why it's a big deal to buy him out and find a better option for that line than him. That would allow us to have someone that could help kill penalties or bring veteran leadership or even someone who plays the body with more frequency than Kostin does. Kostin, to me, has to show he's worth keeping on at that rate with how he plays these last set of games. If his first three games are an indicator then it's a no-brainer that he stays but if he reverts back to what he was prior to being here, it should at least be a discussion.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Zetterlund sucked in the 20 games after he was acquired but his status coming into this season was never in doubt for reasons that don't apply to Kostin. Zetterlund had 28 points in 59 games in New Jersey. He had played to the standard he's currently playing at previously in New Jersey. Kostin had 36 points in 136 games before coming here. If his purpose here is to play on the 4th line and that's it then no he won't block any prospects and while they don't need the cap space, paying 2 mil for what is at this point an ineffective 4th liner is just a waste. Just because we can afford it doesn't mean it makes sense to just let it happen. Now, if Kostin manages a point per game to finish the season then the decision is super easy to keep him because he's actually showing promise of another level to his game but it's a lot more convincing to do that after 20 games than after 3 considering his average play time. There are going to be far more effective options for hitting the floor than keeping a 2 mil 4th liner. We only need to spend 17 mil with Kostin or 19 mil without him. That's plenty doable when we need six forwards with Kostin or seven without and two defensemen. If Kostin shows over what's left that these first three games are a preview of what's to come then I have no problems keeping him. If he falls off and reverts back to how he was playing before coming here that made three other teams give up on him then they should look for better options to fill out their lineup whether they're paid to take on a contract or can find players in free agency that will add to the team in numerous other capacities that Kostin probably isn't going to do himself. Plus, if anything buying him out will still help them reach the cap floor. 166k in dead cap space then replacing him with some free agent potentially at the same level but will do more both improves the team and helps them reach the floor. While 5% is still a chance it's not necessarily a chance worth giving. I'm sure there are other 4th line caliber players with better odds of making more of an impact even if they're a little older than Kostin.

It depends on what one may be looking for here to be a positive outcome with Kostin. Middleton at 24 was still trying to crack the lineup as a project defenseman. Kostin is on his 4th team already with very limited production over two seasons worth of games. I'm not certain what a positive outcome looks like for Kostin here. If all anyone wants out of him is another 4th liner then I don't see why it's a big deal to buy him out and find a better option for that line than him. That would allow us to have someone that could help kill penalties or bring veteran leadership or even someone who plays the body with more frequency than Kostin does. Kostin, to me, has to show he's worth keeping on at that rate with how he plays these last set of games. If his first three games are an indicator then it's a no-brainer that he stays but if he reverts back to what he was prior to being here, it should at least be a discussion.
Nichushkin is a perfect example of why you should never count players out too early. Very similar circumstances and player type too. Not saying he'll be Nichushkin, just that you should give him a chance, especially when there are players like Labanc who have been given until their late 20's to show they aren't anywhere near an NHL player.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nichushkin is a perfect example of why you should never count players out too early. Very similar circumstances and player type too. Not saying he'll be Nichushkin, just that you should give him a chance, especially when there are players like Labanc who have been given until their late 20's to show they aren't anywhere near an NHL player.
I think a 20 game trial where he’s playing third line minutes is his chance to prove he’s worth keeping around next season. It shouldn’t be a gimme. With all the cap space they have, they can get better top nine options to fill gaps around their young talent. If he’s just going to end up on the 4th line, we can do better for cheaper I think. It’s his fourth team already and we’re the worst team in the league. If he can’t produce, he should be replaced.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I think a 20 game trial where he’s playing third line minutes is his chance to prove he’s worth keeping around next season. It shouldn’t be a gimme. With all the cap space they have, they can get better top nine options to fill gaps around their young talent. If he’s just going to end up on the 4th line, we can do better for cheaper I think. It’s his fourth team already and we’re the worst team in the league. If he can’t produce, he should be replaced.
What’s wrong with spending 2 million on him to be even a 4th liner. They have no issue with cap space and will struggle to hit the cap floor.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
What’s wrong with spending 2 million on him to be even a 4th liner. They have no issue with cap space and will struggle to hit the cap floor.
Besides, they've spent 4.625 on a 4th liner the past four seasons and they apparently weren't even trying to tank.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
We might have something here. He's still only 24. Even just a reliable energy line winger who can chip in offense would be great.
I don't mind picking up Kostin, but what I would be worried about is Quinn over playing him like Kunin. The reality is that Kostin currently has 8 points in 39 games, which is close to his 9 points in 40 games in the 21-22 season. He should be a Kunin replacement next season.

He is a 4th liner who can fill in the 3rd line, at best.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't mind picking up Kostin, but what I would be worried about is Quinn over playing him like Kunin. The reality is that Kostin currently has 8 points in 39 games, which is close to his 9 points in 40 games in the 21-22 season. He should be a Kunin replacement next season.

I don't think Quinn overplays Kunin. The only forwards averaging less time on ice than Kunin you could maybe argue deserve to play ahead of him are Sturm and Zadina. We just don't have many forwards worth playing at all.

Reactions: Hangemhigh and DG93

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA

Kostin could be more.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Kostin could be more.
That too. There are some superficial similarities between the two players - both recentish 1st round picks who have bounced around, both high-effort wingers - but Kunin is more of a defensive player and forechecker while Kostin creates a lot of scoring chances.

Great buy low move from Grier. Let's not forget Yzerman agreed to take on Kailer Yamamoto and pay his $1 million buyout just to acquire Kostin last summer.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Kostin seems to click with Granlund. It’s an interesting combo.
I believe he called Granny "one of the best players in the NHL" in his post-game interview. He definitely enjoys being on that line!

Kostin has looked surprisingly impressive since his second game with the Sharks (kind of invisible in the first). His skill has been evident, which is great to see, but even tonight early on he had one shift in the first period where he had to make a couple plays from deep in his defensive zone and he executed them calmly to nullify the Hawks' pressure and get a clean exit for the Sharks.

It's been a small sample size, but so far, he looks like a much better player than I was expecting.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They can do better is what’s wrong with it. If they’d actually struggle to hit the cap floor, which I sincerely doubt, buying him out and signing someone else helps that. But that won’t happen if he keeps producing.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I believe he called Granny "one of the best players in the NHL" in his post-game interview. He definitely enjoys being on that line!

Kostin has looked surprisingly impressive since his second game with the Sharks (kind of invisible in the first). His skill has been evident, which is great to see, but even tonight early on he had one shift in the first period where he had to make a couple plays from deep in his defensive zone and he executed them calmly to nullify the Hawks' pressure and get a clean exit for the Sharks.

It's been a small sample size, but so far, he looks like a much better player than I was expecting.

According to Sheng, a few scouts said Kostin is “good when he wants to be” so it looks like he’s properly motivated right now. Maybe it’s playing with a new team, maybe it’s Granlund.

I have to say, Granlund has been such a great presence and so fun to watch, I honestly wouldn’t mind signing him for another 2 year contract after next season — especially if Couture is done.

Jul 10, 2010

Thats not on Quinn thats just the roster. if we have at best 6 3rd liners with 2(?) top 6 guys, well guess what 4 of those 3rd liners are gonna up overplayed.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think Quinn overplays Kunin. The only forwards averaging less time on ice than Kunin you could maybe argue deserve to play ahead of him are Sturm and Zadina. We just don't have many forwards worth playing at all.

Thats not on Quinn thats just the roster. if we have at best 6 3rd liners with 2(?) top 6 guys, well guess what 4 of those 3rd liners are gonna up overplayed.
To clarify, I'm not just talking recently because the forward depth is shallower than a puddle.

Quinn has overplayed Kunin the last two seasons as whole. Let's not forget Quinn started him on the top line at the start of the 2022/23 season.

Reactions: karltonian

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
To clarify, I'm not just talking recently because the forward depth is shallower than a puddle.

Quinn has overplayed Kunin the last two seasons as whole. Let's not forget Quinn started him on the top line at the start of the 2022/23 season.
You can keep saying he was being overplayed and in the wrong spot. But even last year, who was Quinn supposed to place in that spot over Kunin?

The only top 6 players we had last season were Couture, Meier, Hertl. And a player that gained his spot on the top lines in Barabanov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad