Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Klim Kostin for Radim Simek and 2024 7th

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Considering we gave up Simek and a 7th, I'm okay with providing him an opportunity the rest of the season but at this stage, Kostin is a buyout candidate and not someone with good odds of being able to recoup value.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Considering we gave up Simek and a 7th, I'm okay with providing him an opportunity the rest of the season but at this stage, Kostin is a buyout candidate and not someone with good odds of being able to recoup value.
Can’t imagine the sharks buy him out. One more year at $2mil. They have the cap space and need bodies. Seems like he can fill a nice role of the 4th line.
Simek was likely not going to provide any other trade value so this seems like a positive move.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I don’t think there’s any need for a buy out at all. He’s the big grindery guy Quinn feels like we’re lacking. I expect at least a couple more of these guys to be brought in now or over the summer.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Can’t imagine the sharks buy him out. One more year at $2mil. They have the cap space and need bodies. Seems like he can fill a nice role of the 4th line.
Simek was likely not going to provide any other trade value so this seems like a positive move.
If he plays well, half retained should get a 3/4. Duhaime went for a 3rd.

• Wow

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don’t think there’s any need for a buy out at all. He’s the big grindery guy Quinn feels like we’re lacking. I expect at least a couple more of these guys to be brought in now or over the summer.
It's hard to say that he's what we're lacking. We have a few big body bottom 6ers but they don't really read the play well enough to be in position to get pucks out already. I don't exactly expect Kostin to be able to do that either tbh. Still okay with the gamble though.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I can considering it's very cheap to do so at his age. They don't need these sorts of bodies. 4th line winger types are things that they have an abundance of even if they brought nobody else in. I agree Simek wasn't going to provide any other trade value. His value was in letting his contract expire and using his cap space for a better player. Kostin isn't it. He's not really an NHL caliber player. Paying 2.2 mil in salary next year for the 4 points in 33 games and 48 hits isn't a great use of cap even if they have plenty of it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kostin's no grinder.

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
Klim is an enforcer don't expect him to score many goals. He is a Gadjovich kind of player.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Good grief another 1st round bust

LUKE KUNIN Pick #15 Rd 1 2016​

KLIM KOSTIN Pick#31 Rd 1 2017​

FILIP ZADINA Pick #6 Rd 1 2018​

OZZY WIESBLATT Pick# 31 Rd 1 2020​

go back another 10-15 yeaers anbd count how many 1st round busts the sharks have drafted. terrible scouting dept.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think Kostin can be effective if put in the right role. Guy has some talent and can bring the body checks, both things this team lacks.

What skills do LaBanc and Hoffman bring besides holding open the door for line changes.
I'd much rather have Kostin in the bottom six than either of Hoffman or Labanc but at 2 mil, it's still too much. His physicality is at least something. Hoffman and Labanc are useless without the puck and aren't very consistent with it either. With Hoffman and Labanc, we know they're gone after this season. Kostin basically needs to prove himself worth 2 mil next year in the remaining 18 games of the season. I don't think he needs to be a half a point per game to be worth keeping him for next season but he can't go on the 4 points in 33 games he did this season in Detroit. I think if he gets another five or six points in what's left of the year to go with his physicality being there more often than not and I think he'd be worth taking that 2 mil flier on. Otherwise, I would buy him out. He can be replaced quite easily if he's not bringing production with that physicality. If we're going to throw 2 mil around, go talk to Cal Clutterbuck to be that sort of player but with a real veteran presence added to that sort of player. Or look at someone like Dakota Joshua from Vancouver. I think there will be more effective options than what Kostin has brought thus far but he's still more preferred to me than Hoffman and Labanc.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I'd much rather have Kostin in the bottom six than either of Hoffman or Labanc but at 2 mil, it's still too much. His physicality is at least something. Hoffman and Labanc are useless without the puck and aren't very consistent with it either. With Hoffman and Labanc, we know they're gone after this season. Kostin basically needs to prove himself worth 2 mil next year in the remaining 18 games of the season. I don't think he needs to be a half a point per game to be worth keeping him for next season but he can't go on the 4 points in 33 games he did this season in Detroit. I think if he gets another five or six points in what's left of the year to go with his physicality being there more often than not and I think he'd be worth taking that 2 mil flier on. Otherwise, I would buy him out. He can be replaced quite easily if he's not bringing production with that physicality. If we're going to throw 2 mil around, go talk to Cal Clutterbuck to be that sort of player but with a real veteran presence added to that sort of player. Or look at someone like Dakota Joshua from Vancouver. I think there will be more effective options than what Kostin has brought thus far but he's still more preferred to me than Hoffman and Labanc.
The Sharks are currently projected to have $38 million in cap space next year, according to CapFriendly, so I don't think you need to buy out Kostin because his salary might feel a little too high.

This is a team that can afford to be overpaying guys a bit--and whatever happens in the small sample size of the rest of this season, if Grier likes what Kostin brings--adding in that he's young enough that he's actually still got a bit of upside to his game--then why not give him a chance next year instead of a maxxed-out or downside veteran?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad