Rumor: Sharks a possible destination for Phaneuf

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
The Sharks are the last tram that should be going after Phaneuf. He plays way better on the right side than the left side. With Burns back on D, no need for Phaneuf, unless the Sharks are moving Braun back to the left side, where he can play, albeit nowhere near as effective as if he was on the right side. The only Leaf d-man I'd see the Sharks in on is Gardiner, since he'd be a perfect fit to fill the void of a young 2nd pairing lefty PMD, which is exactly what Gardiner is. No way the Leafs give him up IMO though.

Actually Dion's attitude is pretty impressive considering he bears the blame for every Toronto breakdown. Yet fat boy Phil and Mr. Fashion Joffrey Lupul get off fairly light.

Phaneuf never really held himself accountable after the season. At least, he never directly put even a fraction of the blame on his and his shoulders only. He always says "we", just trying to deflect the blame from himself as much as possible. In fact, Kessel was the only high profile player that blamed himself and held himself accountable in the public eye (even though he was probably the 2nd last person that should've blamed for the Leafs' collapse, next to Bernier). Lupul, though, I can't defend. He is a fake leader. The guy who puts on the persona of a classy individual with his appearances and moments of intensity in situations where that intensity is totally insignificant to the final outcome, just to keep up his facade of being a leader.

Phaneuf's contract is bad, but it is movable. Despite all his shortcoming, Dion is still a good d-man, a solid #2, but not a #1 in any way, shape or form. It's not like Clarkson who played like a 4th liner this year and will likely regress to AHL form before year four of this deal. The worst contract in NHL history, and it is also virtually bulletproof with terrible buyout implications due to contract structure.

Jul 10, 2010
Sportsnet Ontario talking about Phanuef moving, says they keep hearing San Jose as a possible destination

In my mind even though they aren't TSN they still likely have leafs sources being based in Toronto

Buckle up boys Dions comin to town

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I may be the only one who thinks he would be a good fit. That's without all the stats and all, being out of the spotlight would allow him to just play.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He wouldn't be a horrible fit. He'd be a very good #4, Braun would be the ideal partner for him, and he could play much easier minutes than what he did in Toronto.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
He wouldn't be a horrible fit. He'd be a very good #4, Braun would be the ideal partner for him, and he could play much easier minutes than what he did in Toronto.

I prefer Gardiner like most. Unless there willing to dump him for cheap and retain at least 25%, I'm not comfortable moving any assets it would take to get a deal done. Unless they want some combo of
1.) Kennedy
2.) Niemi - they have goalie
3.) 2nd round pick

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-shopping-captains-dion-phaneuf-jason-spezza/

So according to Nick Kypreos whom I don't like and feel he knows nothing, San Jose could be a possible destination for Dion Phaneuf. It doesn't mention us in that article but at around 2:20 in the video Kypreos mentions how Boyle is on his way out and for the right price, we could be interested. I really hope this doesn't happen, Phaneuf is terrible, overrated and way overpaid. The fact that the Leafs are paying him $7M (on a 7 year deal which I would HATE for us to take on) is just Pejorative Slured when you compare his price to Duncan Keiths at $5.5M. Anyway, I just thought I should point this out since I didn't see any threads about it and figured a rumor like this deserved its own thread. Anyone actually want him? Thoughts?

Almost every contract in the league is bad when you compare vs Keith's or Vlasic's.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Yeah I hate dion as an overpaid number 1 dman who is the center of attention. If he were playing second pairing minutes and getting paid less I think he'd be fine here.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I was more than a tad wrong on Ehrhoff, boldly declaring he'd not leave SJ the day before he was traded, but still, I cannot see any way, shape or form that Phaneuf becomes a Shark:

1) Too expensive unless salary is being retained. Are Toronto in that much of a need to cut ties with him? He'd be poor value for the Sharks, even if his hockey profile wouldn't be bad on our 2nd pair.

2) He's 29 and physical. How many good years does he actually have left? Big defensemen have a habit of breaking down and losing mobility quickly not too far down the line.

3) Assets: What does Toronto want that we would feasibly trade? If either Patty or JT go, it's for prospects. We're obviously holding onto our own picks and prospects. Is there enough in the middle to even acquire him?

I don't see it. If he gets moved, I could see Toronto trying to do something huge and send him to Florida for No.1 with their own high pick but then I question if even the Leafs would be that stupid...

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I was more than a tad wrong on Ehrhoff, boldly declaring he'd not leave SJ the day before he was traded, but still, I cannot see any way, shape or form that Phaneuf becomes a Shark:

1) Too expensive unless salary is being retained. Are Toronto in that much of a need to cut ties with him? He'd be poor value for the Sharks, even if his hockey profile wouldn't be bad on our 2nd pair.

2) He's 29 and physical. How many good years does he actually have left? Big defensemen have a habit of breaking down and losing mobility quickly not too far down the line.

3) Assets: What does Toronto want that we would feasibly trade? If either Patty or JT go, it's for prospects. We're obviously holding onto our own picks and prospects. Is there enough in the middle to even acquire him?

I don't see it. If he gets moved, I could see Toronto trying to do something huge and send him to Florida for No.1 with their own high pick but then I question if even the Leafs would be that stupid...

Its the leafs, all they do is stupid stuff.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
I may be the only one who thinks he would be a good fit. That's without all the stats and all, being out of the spotlight would allow him to just play.

I have very little issues with him as a player, just don't see how he fits based off what DW has said regarding handing this team over to the youth.

I suppose Phaneuf could be part of a new leadership group but I specifically recall DW saying it doesn't make sense to bring in someone from the outside to come in and take over leadership roles from the young core.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Whatever as long as its basically a cap dump and we give up little to nothing, who cares.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
I have very little issues with him as a player, just don't see how he fits based off what DW has said regarding handing this team over to the youth.

I suppose Phaneuf could be part of a new leadership group but I specifically recall DW saying it doesn't make sense to bring in someone from the outside to come in and take over leadership roles from the young core.

The problem with "what DW has said" is that it's so vague you won't know exactly what he's saying until it comes to fruition. Still, I highly doubt Phanny comes here.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
He could be part of the new leadership but isnt he a sloth?! Slow as in Rathje slow?

He is slow and he is not a puckmover despite occasional gaudy point totals. The opposite of what the Sharks need. The Sharks need to not waste roster spots on guys who do not address areas of need. The same goes for slow snipers (Vanek, Moulson, Iginla, Vrbata), the Sharks already have plenty.

Jul 10, 2010
I really think Phanuef could excel here playing 2nd pairing with Vlasic taking the top match ups and Dion playing the point on the PP. His point shot is something our PP lacks

Dion at say even 6m for a package like Demers+Kennedy and something else wouldn't be bad for anyone but the leafs

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I wouldn't trade Demers straight up for Dion. JD will take half the money and he's younger and probably almost as good.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
He is slow and he is not a puckmover despite occasional gaudy point totals. The opposite of what the Sharks need. The Sharks need to not waste roster spots on guys who do not address areas of need. The same goes for slow snipers (Vanek, Moulson, Iginla, Vrbata), the Sharks already have plenty.

Pavelski, and...? We've needed another sniper badly for years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Phaneuf's term is a non-starter. I don't care if the Leafs retained half, 7 years for Phaneuf is too long to trade for regardless of how good the trade may be. He's just not worth that kind of commitment. Besides, we're rebuilding. Unless we're trading older pieces, it would be counterproductive to trade a couple pieces for Phaneuf.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Pavelski, and...? We've needed another sniper badly for years.

Pavelski, Marleau, Couture. You only need one per line, two on a line can be counterproductive especially if you overlook the need for setup guys or forecheckers. Consistently, the Sharks have lacked setup or forecheck at the expense of running after snipers. It's like constructing a well-balanced meal. It won't be all meat, there needs to be veggies and carbs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00