Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part V‎ ‎ ‎

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
With the upcoming expansion draft, would you guys do something like Tommy Wingels+Brendan Dillon+Timo Meier+17 1st for Kevin Shattenkirk+3rd? We wouldn't have to protect Shattenkirk as he is a pending UFA. We would just have to make an under the table agreement with him to come back and sign here. We would have the best defense in the league. Although it would be tough to go three years without getting a prospect from the 1st round, I feel like we could live with it because we would win the cup based on defense alone.

Don't like it at all. I want to keep Meir and our 1st for 2017. Getting Shattenkirk is far from a priority or a need.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Guys, are we signing Tim Heed ?

If the news is true, I might have to pat myself on the back for 2 days straight. lol

I was the first person to bring him up
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=105076913

I am so excited !!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe.

http://lt.se/sport/ishockey/1.3882845-tim-heed-kan-bli-nasta-svensk-i-san-jose

I really want Polak back here but this signing will make it even harder.

With Polak, Dillon and DeMelo (he no doubt deserves a chance) should already be fighting for that spot. Throw in Heed into that mix and it complicates things even more.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Maybe.

http://lt.se/sport/ishockey/1.3882845-tim-heed-kan-bli-nasta-svensk-i-san-jose

I really want Polak back here but this signing will make it even harder.

With Polak, Dillon and DeMelo (he no doubt deserves a chance) should already be fighting for that spot. Throw in Heed into that mix and it complicates things even more.

Yea I'm sold on both Polak and Spaling remaining with the Sharks as unlikely as it is. They've been real solid this post-season and complete the team well.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Yea I'm sold on both Polak and Spaling remaining with the Sharks as unlikely as it is. They've been real solid this post-season and complete the team well.

I know some people don't like Spaling but any time you can get a solid PKer from your 4th line you take it. Not only that he brings a lot of speed that other 4th lines can't bring. Him and Zubrus have been great.

TMac's greatest weakness was his reliance on the top players to PK.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
What type of dman is Heed? A 2-way PMD?

If so, he'd give Demelo a run for his money not Polak.

I'd definitely like to re-sign Spaling and Polak. Just not sure how it'd fit cap wise.

As much as I like the Vlasic-Braun pairing - they're obviously great as a shutdown pair, that pair's weakness is the lack of offensive skill. We'd be even more of a threat if that pair had that offensive ability...

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
What type of dman is Heed? A 2-way PMD?

If so, he'd give Demelo a run for his money not Polak.

I'd definitely like to re-sign Spaling and Polak. Just not sure how it'd fit cap wise.

As much as I like the Vlasic-Braun pairing - they're obviously great as a shutdown pair, that pair's weakness is the lack of offensive skill. We'd be even more of a threat if that pair had that offensive ability...

Here's a video of highlights. Seems to have a big shot and be pretty offensive minded.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Wow, sweet shot. He'd be stellar as our #2 PP unit QB or maybe he moves Marleau to the 2nd PP unit. Burns, Jumbo, Pavs & Couture definitely stay on the 1st PP unit.

As for D pairing, if he really pans out, then perhaps this. I'm saying Heed's a 1st pairing but I'd really like to see each D pairing have offensive potential and right now, that Vlasic-Braun pairing doesn't.

Vlasic - Heed
Martin - Burns
Dillon - Braun

The obvious is just to pair Heed with Dillon. We could also dangle Braun for a top 6 fwd.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I know some people don't like Spaling but any time you can get a solid PKer from your 4th line you take it. Not only that he brings a lot of speed that other 4th lines can't bring. Him and Zubrus have been great.

TMac's greatest weakness was his reliance on the top players to PK.

Spaling is head and shoulders better than Brown and the rest of the peanut gallery we've had in that role. I'd prefer to bring him back if possible.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Wow, sweet shot. He'd be stellar as our #2 PP unit QB or maybe he moves Marleau to the 2nd PP unit. Burns, Jumbo, Pavs & Couture definitely stay on the 1st PP unit.

As for D pairing, if he really pans out, then perhaps this. I'm saying Heed's a 1st pairing but I'd really like to see each D pairing have offensive potential and right now, that Vlasic-Braun pairing doesn't.

Vlasic - Heed
Martin - Burns
Dillon - Braun

The obvious is just to pair Heed with Dillon. We could also dangle Braun for a top 6 fwd.

I'd just keep Vlasic-Braun together. They are straight up the best shutdown pairing in the NHL and it's not like they're incapable of offense seeing how Vlasic just put up a career year and they both trust each other on the back end enough that they'll jump up into the play whenever they want..

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Spaling is head and shoulders better than Brown and the rest of the peanut gallery we've had in that role. I'd prefer to bring him back if possible.

Spaling will be an interesting case. His current deal is a 3rd line deal. I think it will come down to him, Nieto or Wingels - one of them will have to go/not be re-signed.

I'd just keep Vlasic-Braun together. They are straight up the best shutdown pairing in the NHL and it's not like they're incapable of offense seeing how Vlasic just put up a career year and they both trust each other on the back end enough that they'll jump up into the play whenever they want..

I think they're a fantastic shutdown pair, but they are not offensive threats. Neither has the puck moving skills or creativity to be that offensive threat. I have no idea if Heed is it but if we wanted to optimize, I'd break that pairing up. I'd only do so if we really had another PMD to pair up.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Dude, breaking up the best shutdown pair in the league for a 25 year old offensive D rookie sounds dumb as hell.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Spaling will be an interesting case. His current deal is a 3rd line deal. I think it will come down to him, Nieto or Wingels - one of them will have to go/not be re-signed.

I think they're a fantastic shutdown pair, but they are not offensive threats. Neither has the puck moving skills or creativity to be that offensive threat. I have no idea if Heed is it but if we wanted to optimize, I'd break that pairing up. I'd only do so if we really had another PMD to pair up.

Vlasic and Braun move and transition the puck. They start plenty of breakouts with their legs and passing. If anything they are both underrated on this board for what they do to start offense.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Vlasic and Braun move and transition the puck. They start plenty of breakouts with their legs and passing. If anything they are both underrated on this board for what they do to start offense.

To add to the lesser tangibles, is it just me or has there never been so many offsides calls on an opponent?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Yeah he's been solid. Lowest Ga/60 of all our Dmen at 5v5, and an even GF%. We have the the best defense left in these playoffs, him and Dillon playing solidly is a huge reason why.

Please explain to me Vlasic's offensive skill. I've got all night.

40pts in 67 games. About 30th in the league in points, he was on pace for 48 points, good enough for like 13th in the league. Oh and about 15th in the league at 5v5 pts/60.

I'm sure that's someone else's fault, and vlassic just leached all those points with no positive impact from his own play. No one is confusing vlassic for burns, but his lack of offensive skill is hilariously overblown.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I'm sure that's someone else's fault, and vlassic just leached all those points with no positive impact from his own play. No one is confusing vlassic for burns, but his lack of offensive skill is hilariously overblown.

He has a decent first-pass, but in the offensive zone he's been really inept this post-season.

I mean, I don't mind it since he's upped his defensive game back to his standards (after a poor Nashville series), but I still think it's a joke that he's on the 2nd PP unit. He's not a threat at all and it looks like it's making it harder on the forwards since the Blues can completely ignore him on the blue-line. I think Polak has looked more like an offensive threat jumping into the play and cycling the puck.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
He has a decent first-pass, but in the offensive zone he's been really inept this post-season.

I mean, I don't mind it since he's upped his defensive game back to his standards (after a poor Nashville series), but I still think it's a joke that he's on the 2nd PP unit. He's not a threat at all and it looks like it's making it harder on the forwards since the Blues can completely ignore him on the blue-line. I think Polak has looked more like an offensive threat jumping into the play and cycling the puck.

I disagree with you. I think his major offensive deficiency is power behind his shot. He's shown plenty of times he has decent shot placement, but he just can't be a cannon from the blue line. Plus his passing, and puck control are quite good.

However the first key to scoring, is having the puck, and Vlassic is one of the absolute best defenseman in the entire league at keeping the puck moving in a positive direction, while minimizing the oppositions chances, thus leading to more offensive zone time, thus more chances to score.

Vlassic had 40 pts in 67 games, there is no way that a truely terrible defenseman gets that many points,and his 5v5 p/60 is even better. Plus you can add on the fact that he gets horrible zone starts, and is constantly playing the other teams best players, and there is no question that Vlassic is perfectly capable of being much better than a 20-25pt defensive defenseman.

He's not an offensive Dynamo like Burns, but he's much more of a Two Way defenseman than he's been giving credit for.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah he's been solid. Lowest Ga/60 of all our Dmen at 5v5, and an even GF%. We have the the best defense left in these playoffs, him and Dillon playing solidly is a huge reason why.

40pts in 67 games. About 30th in the league in points, he was on pace for 48 points, good enough for like 13th in the league. Oh and about 15th in the league at 5v5 pts/60.

39 points. He once hit 36 points 8 or so years ago also. And then until this year barely hit 25 points.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I want to resign Spaling if he continues with reasonable caphit. I wouldn't be bmad if we resign Polak too if his caphit also will be reasonable but I think we don't need to resign Polak and we shouldn't resign him if his cap would be over 2.5 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad