Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part V‎ ‎ ‎

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I will be a sad puppy if Burns doesn't resign with us.

I would as well. I think he's a great fit for the area and team. One of my favorite players, between his charity work, personality, and sense of humor.

Still though, I would certainly understand the team taking an offer like I mentioned, raised to "surprised if they don't take it" if that 1st is Matthews.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah even if they just offer the 1st overall you would be stupid not to take it. Matthews is a franchise player.

Exactly. We'd be so well set up front long term.

Couture - Matthews - Donskoi
Meier - Hertl - Goldobin
Nieto - Tierney - XXXX

XXXX could be any of Wingels, Labanc, Pavelski, etc.

And by that I mean it opens up trading Pavelski in a couple years.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Meier - Hertl - Goldobin
Nieto - Tierney - XXXX

Don't forget old man Thornton as 4th line center.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
From DW's point of view...Burns for Matthews is a signal that the rebuild is starting. That's it...JT and Marleau have to go, veterans like Martin and Ward have ensure futures, etc.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm changing my tune on re-signing Jumbo if he's willing to sign a team friendly deal.

I don't see how anything has changed. Joe Thornton's great regular seasons are old hat by now. Sure, this is a better one than he has had in awhile...but it is his playoff failures that earn him his criticism.

He needs to have a strong, strong postseason in a deep Sharks's run. Basically, he needs to have his best playoffs to date. Until he can do that, I'm not convinced that the Sharks wouldn't be better off jettisoning him.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I don't see how anything has changed. Joe Thornton's great regular seasons are old hat by now. Sure, this is a better one than he has had in awhile...but it is his playoff failures that earn him his criticism.

He needs to have a strong, strong postseason in a deep Sharks's run. Basically, he needs to have his best playoffs to date. Until he can do that, I'm not convinced that the Sharks wouldn't be better off jettisoning him.

Did you know Joe Thornton has led his team in points in the playoffs more often than not? Shocking I know!

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Did you know Joe Thornton has led his team in points in the playoffs more often than not? Shocking I know!

That's a pretty low standard for a player who has pretty much been an ice-time leader up front, the team's highest paid player, the core of the team's powerplay, and the face of the franchise.

The last time he was the best player (and the last time he led in scoring, incidentally) in a Sharks's playoff run was in 2012, against St. Louis. The last time before that....was what, in 2007?

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I would like to see Burns and Thornton resigned shortly after July 1st and I would be happy if Burns is going to re-sign with us a contract under 7 million Caphit. But I think it is going to be 7.5 x 5 which is also good contract for us. But if we are unfortunate and Burns isn't going to resign with us we need to trade him before next season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thornton's gonna need a 2 PPG postseason to right all the wrongs in the hockey world.

He's going to need a Cup ring to right the wrongs. Points mean nothing at the end of the day unless there's post-season hardware to back it up. I'm not the biggest Thornton fan and I will criticize his shortcomings in the playoffs but he hasn't had much help either in a lot of runs. That series against the Blues, a lot of his points came when the team was already behind, and nobody else really showed up. That was in large part due to that team just not being that good that year and the Blues were their worst matchup that year.

If the team finally gets the production and luck needed to make it to the Finals and win, the criticisms stop. But that's going to take a lot more than just Thornton and his line showing up. His line is going to be stopped at certain points in the playoffs...maybe for a whole series. It'll be up to Marleau and Couture's line, the defense, and the goaltending to carry them through. That's just how it has to be. The goaltending is good enough. I think the forwards beyond the Thornton line are set up pretty well. It's going to come down to the team defense and I don't know about that at this point.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ah, the old Thornton cup ring debate in record fashion.

Hey, I'm not as hung up on that stuff but that is legitimately the only way you'll get the media to shut up about it. And whether people like it or not, this includes Marleau too, the best players on the team are held to a higher standard for this kind of stuff than the Colin Frasers of the world because they're the ones driving the ship...even if you still need the other pieces to make it that far. The Cup ring stuff doesn't change the fact that Thornton is a Hall of Famer. It may change it for Marleau though lol.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California

Meier - Hertl - Goldobin
Nieto - Tierney - XXXX

Still have yet to see Hertl prove himself at the center position (or anywhere but on Thornton's wing) in the nhl. Penciling him in as 2nd line center looks premature......

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Still have yet to see Hertl prove himself at the center position (or anywhere but on Thornton's wing) in the nhl. Penciling him in as 2nd line center looks premature......

I definitely disagree. He was a beast after Couture went down. Just because he wasn't scoring goals doesn't mean he didn't look good. Hertl was outstanding at protecting the puck along the boards and driving possession. He was originally with Marleau and Ward after Cooch got injured, and that line was the best line. Then, DeBoer realized that he had to spread out the talent, so he put Hertl on the 3rd line. Hertl ended up being stuck with players that couldn't score (Nieto, Wingels, etc.), so he wasn't popping up on the scoresheet. However, that doesn't mean he wasn't playing great hockey. His faceoff numbers were also fantastic.

I think that Hertl has shown that he can play center pretty damn well. When Couture and Marleau are playing well at center on the 2nd/3rd lines, DeBoer can afford to stack the Joes line by putting Hertl up there, but Hertl is more than ready to be the 2nd line center imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad