Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part V‎ ‎ ‎

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Sure, everyone wishes that. Then again, we wish that for Tierney, Wingels, Zubrus, Spaling, Dillon, etc. He's far from unique in not being a gifted score. That doesn't change the fact that he's very good at a certain set of useful skills, and so still plenty valuable and useful to the team.

Tennyson is useful too, as cheap depth if nothing else. It's not like him and Nieto are breaking our cap structure. And if he spends most of the year with the 'Cuda, so what? He's still a good bottom pairing call up option. Before the concussion, he was actually playing fairly decently, IIRC. I wouldn't go dumping him just because.

MarleauApologist made a great point in the round one threads that the reason the depth was failing to score was a lack of high-end shooting talent amongst it. And when they finally scored in game 5...well, it was largely due to great shooting. Nieto is one of the players with some nice skills, but a poor shot and poor scoring instincts. I could see him being replaced.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Nieto is a weird case. I swear he reads the boards during the games. Every time i have ever seen someone say nieto could not score even into a open net he seems to always score right away.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
MarleauApologist made a great point in the round one threads that the reason the depth was failing to score was a lack of high-end shooting talent amongst it. And when they finally scored in game 5...well, it was largely due to great shooting. Nieto is one of the players with some nice skills, but a poor shot and poor scoring instincts. I could see him being replaced.

The other issue was that LA's defense is full of big players, and our bottom-6 isn't particularly strong. Against a team that doesn't have as many big, physical defensemen, the bottom-6 has a better chance of being productive. I expect some more scoring from them against Nashville.

Obviously, the org has to be looking at bringing up Goldobin and Meier next year and a few spots will need to be opened up. I have my ideas on who I would let go over the offseason to make spots for those guys but I would rather not get into that until the playoffs are over, since I'm currently cheering for the guys that we have on the roster.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Nieto is a weird case. I swear he reads the boards during the games. Every time i have ever seen someone say nieto could not score even into a open net he seems to always score right away.

Ward always does this to me, every time I ***** about him not scoring he immediately scores.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Ward always does this to me, every time I ***** about him not scoring he immediately scores.

Nieto did it to me in game 5. I basically said nieto is absolutely terrible offensively and poof 1 minute later i got the notification that san jose scored. Checked who it was and low and behold it was nieto lol.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I know that this isn't the best time to ask this based on the playoffs and how well the Sharks are doing but if the Marleau rumors are true would you do:

Marleau for a package based purely on futures. Something like a mid-late first+good prospect.

Then Couture+Dillon for Zibanejad+Hoffman+12th overall.

We would add two firsts. Hoffman would replace Marleau (maybe even be a bit of an upgrade with how he has been playing) Zibanejad has really broken out this year scoring 50 points. He could cover for Couture. Draft someone like Clayton Keller or a good defender. Mueller comes in and fills in for Dillon while we gain cap space to resign Reimer and Polak and maybe Spaling.

Lines could look something like:

Hoffman-Thornton-Pavelski
Donskoi-Hertl-Ward
Karlsson-Zibanejad-Nieto
Goodrow-Tierney-Wingels

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I know that this isn't the best time to ask this based on the playoffs and how well the Sharks are doing but if the Marleau rumors are true would you do:

Marleau for a package based purely on futures. Something like a mid-late first+good prospect.

We would add two firsts. Hoffman would replace Marleau (maybe even be a bit of an upgrade with how he has been playing) Zibanejad has really broken out this year scoring 50 points. He could cover for Couture. Draft someone like Clayton Keller or a good defender. Mueller comes in and fills in for Dillon while we gain cap space to resign Reimer and Polak and maybe Spaling.

Donskoi-Hertl-Ward
Karlsson-Zibanejad-Nieto
Goodrow-Tierney-Wingels

No team that marleau will actually go to would accept anything less then atleast 80% of marleaus salary being sent back to san jose.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Just want to give props to Brent Burns on his Norris nomination.. And most of you Sharks fans called me insane....Almost hit 80 points too...

Every now and then we must pat ourselves on the back.:laugh: :D

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Just want to give props to Brent Burns on his Norris nomination.. And most of you Sharks fans called me insane....Almost hit 80 points too...

Every now and then we must pat ourselves on the back.:laugh: :D

You certainly were not the first person who thought Burns would be a Norris caliber d-man...

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Donskoi-Hertl-Ward
Karlsson-Zibanejad-Nieto
Goodrow-Tierney-Wingels

Would probably do the Marleau deal based on value but it's not going to happen. If we are going off of those rumors and it's LA, Anaheim, and NYR, none of those teams are going to give a package w/o at least 50% of his salary being retained or returned and that likely prevents a 1st or a good prospect from returned. Even if we expanded that list to Chicago and Nashville, it's pretty much the same deal.

The Couture deal, no way. Value-wise it may not be poor, why would we trade an integral piece of this team to get guys that would be mostly secondary players?

I don't see a good reason to make that much of a turnover to next season given we're halfway to a conference finals appearance after not even being a playoff team last year.

A big part of this is the whole Marleau rumors being true. Even if they were true then, it may not be true now. I would think knocking on that Cup door here may change his mind if it were even true in the first place. Hell, a Cup win probably does away with all that stuff. Who knows? I just wouldn't put much stock into it being true.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Agree about Marleau and trading him.

I AM convinced the preseason/early season rumors were true. Like I've said a few times, I generally trust LeBrun's reporting, and he's the one who talked most about the story, and specifically mentioned Marleau's reps having permission to talk to other teams. However, I get the impression that the request was made early on, well before DeBoer was able to start putting his stamp on the team, and never pulled in the first couple months of the season, when we weren't very good. Given how the team is doing NOW, though, and the complete lack of drama going on (in marked contrast to McLellan's last year), I would be somewhat surprised if the request hadn't been rescinded.

This is about entirely conjecture here, but the impression I got from him was that he was tired of the drama and negative stuff going on between McLellan, the locker room, and DW. Add in the constant drumbeat of trade rumors and everything, and I think he felt like the best situation for everyone would be if he moved on. I am not at all certain he still feels that way, given how big a change they've seen with DeBoer in charge.

At this point, I'd actually be surprised if they didn't sign him to, say, a 2 year extension after next season, if he still wants to play. Seeing as how he's wearing down faster than Thornton, though, maybe he just retires, especially if everything breaks right and the Sharks win the cup this year.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Agree about Marleau and trading him.

I AM convinced the preseason/early season rumors were true. Like I've said a few times, I generally trust LeBrun's reporting, and he's the one who talked most about the story, and specifically mentioned Marleau's reps having permission to talk to other teams. However, I get the impression that the request was made early on, well before DeBoer was able to start putting his stamp on the team, and never pulled in the first couple months of the season, when we weren't very good. Given how the team is doing NOW, though, and the complete lack of drama going on (in marked contrast to McLellan's last year), I would be somewhat surprised if the request hadn't been rescinded.

This is about entirely conjecture here, but the impression I got from him was that he was tired of the drama and negative stuff going on between McLellan, the locker room, and DW. Add in the constant drumbeat of trade rumors and everything, and I think he felt like the best situation for everyone would be if he moved on. I am not at all certain he still feels that way, given how big a change they've seen with DeBoer in charge.

At this point, I'd actually be surprised if they didn't sign him to, say, a 2 year extension after next season, if he still wants to play. Seeing as how he's wearing down faster than Thornton, though, maybe he just retires, especially if everything breaks right and the Sharks win the cup this year.

I can see Marleau having a Teemu type finish to his career. Somebody will pay him.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
Assuming PM did want to leave I agree that if they win the cup he probably will change his mind. The team's outlook was a lot different when these rumours appeared.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Marleau doesn't play DeBoer's system well - just like Wingels. Love both of em as players, and out of respect for them, they need to find new homes. They will be happier somewhere else.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If Reimer doesn't come back, what do you guys think of either Enroth or Ward coming in as back ups? Ward would obviously have to be willing to take a big paycut but he might be willing to do it to play on a contender.

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
If Reimer doesn't come back, what do you guys think of either Enroth or Ward coming in as back ups? Ward would obviously have to be willing to take a big paycut but he might be willing to do it to play on a contender.

Ward will have to take a big pay cut wherever he ends up, the problem is someone will likely offer him more than the Sharks will to compete for a starting job, while Jones is the unquestioned #1 in San Jose. Same problem with Reimer, and possibly even guys like Enroth, Montoya, and Johnson. Luckily, there are only so many teams with starting spots even open for competition, so the Sharks can wait and see who falls through the cracks and will take less money for a backup role on a contender.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ward will have to take a big pay cut wherever he ends up, the problem is someone will likely offer him more than the Sharks will to compete for a starting job, while Jones is the unquestioned #1 in San Jose. Same problem with Reimer, and possibly even guys like Enroth, Montoya, and Johnson. Luckily, there are only so many teams with starting spots even open for competition, so the Sharks can wait and see who falls through the cracks and will take less money for a backup role on a contender.

I don't think anyone is offering Enroth, Montoya or Johnson a job to battle as a starter.

Each of these guys just had a bad season the year before this past one, and they fluctuate a lot from year to year. They'd have to luck into a situation like Greiss or Neuvirth just did. Sign with a team that has a questionable or injury prone starter that could be dethroned if they hit a hot streak, like Greiss and Neuvirth did this season. Although Neuvirth was a starter in Washington before in years past. I'd sign any of them as a backup and hope they repeat something closer to last year than the previous one before.

No frickin way to Grosenick. That has the potential to be Stalock 2.0 and we're in the same position and will be trading for a backup at the deadline again anyway, after Jones winds up having started 85-90% of the games by that point. Don't touch Lindback either, he has no more business in this league. Teams only sign him to tank. Ironically he played his best stretch in years in Buffalo last year, who traded for him so they could lose more games. Retto Berra is an interesting option. One more year left and will be Colorado's third stringer and in the AHL. He has had two good seasons in a row on one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
With the upcoming expansion draft, would you guys do something like Tommy Wingels+Brendan Dillon+Timo Meier+17 1st for Kevin Shattenkirk+3rd? We wouldn't have to protect Shattenkirk as he is a pending UFA. We would just have to make an under the table agreement with him to come back and sign here. We would have the best defense in the league. Although it would be tough to go three years without getting a prospect from the 1st round, I feel like we could live with it because we would win the cup based on defense alone.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
With the upcoming expansion draft, would you guys do something like Tommy Wingels+Brendan Dillon+Timo Meier+17 1st for Kevin Shattenkirk+3rd?

I'd guess that Wingels has 0ish value at this point. The Sharks also have a wealth of talent on the blueline, with players in the pipeline. Someone like Mueller or Roy has to be heading back.

We wouldn't have to protect Shattenkirk as he is a pending UFA. We would just have to make an under the table agreement with him to come back and sign here.

I am almost 100% sure that is against the CBA.

Before the Sharks do anything, they'll need to figure out how much Burns + Hertl, and then Thornton + Marleau, will cost them long-term.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
With the upcoming expansion draft, would you guys do something like Tommy Wingels+Brendan Dillon+Timo Meier+17 1st for Kevin Shattenkirk+3rd? We wouldn't have to protect Shattenkirk as he is a pending UFA. We would just have to make an under the table agreement with him to come back and sign here. We would have the best defense in the league. Although it would be tough to go three years without getting a prospect from the 1st round, I feel like we could live with it because we would win the cup based on defense alone.

For 1 year of Shatty? Mercy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad