Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part V‎ ‎ ‎

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Vlasic and Braun move and transition the puck. They start plenty of breakouts with their legs and passing. If anything they are both underrated on this board for what they do to start offense.

I think they're a fantastic pair.

I'd only consider breaking them up if we had a better alternative - a couple PMDs that warranted splitting them up. This is obviously not something we'd HAVE to do. I'm just intrigued by the notion of having 3 solid D pairs to throw out there - all of which can really move / carry the puck and are creative. Like the Preds have with Ellis, Ekholm and Josi. I think Vlasic is close to those but Braun is a step back in terms of puck moving, leading breakouts and creativity.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I want to resign Spaling if he continues with reasonable caphit. I wouldn't be bmad if we resign Polak too if his caphit also will be reasonable but I think we don't need to resign Polak and we shouldn't resign him if his cap would be over 2.5 million.

I'd love to re-sign Spaling but he's making 3rd line money. Something would have to give between him, Wingels and Nieto.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'd love to re-sign Spaling but he's making 3rd line money. Something would have to give between him, Wingels and Nieto.

That and we are going to most likely have Goldobin in our lineup. And if we are extremely lucky, even Meier. A really good problem to have but we are pretty packed. The forwards returning next year (exception of trades and assuming re-signing our RFA's).

Players on contract + current RFA players
-----------------------------------------------
Jumbo
Pavs
Hertl (RFA)
Cooter
Donkey
Patty
Tierney
Nieto (RFA)
Ward
Karlsson
Wingels

UFA players
-------------
Zubrus
Spaling

Potential AHL -> NHL players
---------------------------------
Goldobin
Meier
Sorenson
Haley
Carpenter
Morin

Despite how Zubrus has played this year, I really doubt we re-sign him. So that leaves 11 signed players (including RFA's). Goldobin makes 12. Spaling would make 13. That could still work as long as we are ok burning a year of Goldobin's contract (if he needs to be sent down). It will become a little problematic if Meier makes a statement in training camp.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That and we are going to most likely have Goldobin in our lineup. And if we are extremely lucky, even Meier. A really good problem to have but we are pretty packed. The forwards returning next year (exception of trades and assuming re-signing our RFA's).

Jumbo
Pavs
Hertl (RFA)
Cooter
Donkey
Patty
Tierney
Nieto (RFA)
Ward
Karlsson
Wingels

UFA players
-------------
Zubrus
Spaling

Goldobin
Meier
Sorenson
Haley
Carpenter
Morin

Despite how Zubrus has played this year, I really doubt we re-sign him. So that leaves 11 signed players (including RFA's). Goldobin makes 12. Spaling would make 13. That could still work as long as we are ok burning a year of Goldobin's contract (if he needs to be sent down). It will become a little problematic if Meier makes a statement in training camp.

Goldobins contract no matter if he plays in the nhl or ahl next year will be burned.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Jumbo
Pavs
Hertl (RFA)
Cooter
Donkey
Patty
Tierney
Nieto (RFA)
Ward
Karlsson
Wingels

UFA players
-------------
Zubrus
Spaling

Goldobin
Meier
Sorenson
Haley
Carpenter
Morin

And with Nieto, he can probably be penciled in for $1.25M - 1.5M AAV. Wingels, I doubt, there's much of a market for him. He's playing himself into a 4th liner and thus is overpaid at $2.475M.

Goldobin should really only stay with the Sharks if he can be a top 9 fwd. Same with Meier. We won't know that until Training Camp. The issue is we'd need to decide on Spaling before we know that.

Zubrus, I'm sure, we could wait until the season starts.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
39 points. He once hit 36 points 8 or so years ago also. And then until this year barely hit 25 points.

I'm aware it was 39, but thank you for making sure I didn't round up 1 point. I thought will all my arounds, and abouts, when talking about his stats it was clear I wasn't being super specific.

Your second sentence, is there a point, or argument you feel like making?

So he's proven not once, but twice he can push the 40pt threshold, in both cases he was given the opportunity to be offensive. First while paired with Blake, and this year with a new system/coach, and some pp time. Seems to me that if he was so terrible offensively as some claim, added pp time, and some attention paid to trying to generate offense wouldn't help his numbers, but they did.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Goldobins contract no matter if he plays in the nhl or ahl next year will be burned.

Ah yes. True. His year will be burned either way.

And with Nieto, he can probably be penciled in for $1.25M - 1.5M AAV. Wingels, I doubt, there's much of a market for him. He's playing himself into a 4th liner and thus is overpaid at $2.475M.

Goldobin should really only stay with the Sharks if he can be a top 9 fwd. Same with Meier. We won't know that until Training Camp. The issue is we'd need to decide on Spaling before we know that.

Zubrus, I'm sure, we could wait until the season starts.

Agreed about Goldobin. Meier could work on the 4th line but I think he is going to be better offensively than anyone on out bottom-6 except for Ward, so he would most likely fit on the 3rd line (if he is ready for NHL minutes)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad