Speculation: Sharks 2015-2016 Roster Talk: Rumors, Roster, Proposals. Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I will be sad if Marleau is traded. The Rumors seem to have died down in the last week but he has been such a good shark, and he's been unfairly criticized some years. It will be so different when/if he does leave.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
With Couture coming back soon our forward lines are set to roll 4 deep, but his injury really exposed how vulnerable our depth is. I'm wondering if it would be smart to either add or upgrade a forward at the deadline if it looks like we are planning on making a deep playoff push. Zubrus seems to have been brought in because our AHL call ups are woefully lacking but he doesn't really help that much if one of our key players goes down.

On defense the problems mostly come from the bottom pairing, so long as our top 4 can stay healthy. An upgrade to Tennyson would make sense, pushing him down to 7d. So would an upgrade to Dillon who has had a rocky start to the season, though he has improved slightly in recent games, but DW may but unwilling to move him. If Mueller can secure his spot it also adds a further variable. A major need seems to be someone who can move the puck, supply offense, and quarterback the 2nd PP unit.

It will be interesting to see if and how these issues are addressed with our limited cap space and picks.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'd like to get that first round pick back. If you're going to add depth, the Draft helps in that regard, albeit a few years down the line. I'm not mad at the trade to give up a first for Jones, but if the Sharks are a middling to above average team, they almost have to make the playoffs just to make that trade worth while.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
With us doing better now without Couture, Smith and Torres (Probably) coming back eventually we're in pretty good shape. If they perform and we look really good down the stretch I could see them adding, but it would be a rental most likely. We'd really have to firing on all cylinders I think for DW to do that this year though.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I'd like to get that first round pick back. If you're going to add depth, the Draft helps in that regard, albeit a few years down the line. I'm not mad at the trade to give up a first for Jones, but if the Sharks are a middling to above average team, they almost have to make the playoffs just to make that trade worth while.

Once everyone comes back we should be a playoff team.

I have my doubts about PM/JT next year, but this year this roster is good enough. I'm worried that the bench is being shortened in the 3rd this early in the year though.

And I'd still give up a 10-14 overall pick for Jones given how he's played so far.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
re: Hamonic

More fuel for the speculation about Hamonic and SJS

Maloney reached out to Snow but said that the Coyotes didn't have the right pieces for a deal. From ArizonaSports.com:

When news broke this week that Islanders defenseman Travis Hamonic had requested a trade to a team in the west for what appeared to be the most noble of reasons, it was logical to wonder if the Coyotes had interest and would pursue such a deal.

They were interested and they have pursued it, general manager Don Maloney said Friday.

“Any time a good player becomes available on the market, it becomes incumbent on managers to reach out and see if there’s a match,†Maloney said. “Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be at this point with us.â€

Maloney said it’s simply a matter of trade value. Hamonic currently plays on New York’s top defensive pairing with Nick Leddy. To deal Hamonic, Islanders GM Garth Snow would likely be looking for a player to replace him.

[more at link below]
http://arizonasports.com/story/461428/coyotes-trade-rumors-islanders-travis-hamonic/

It sounds like Snow didn't reject Maloney out of hand bc of his location, although I'm sure that there are more desirable locations from Hamonic's POV (bc closer to Winnipeg or a city in Western Canada).

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
re: Hamonic

More fuel for the speculation about Hamonic and SJS

It sounds like Snow didn't reject Maloney out of hand bc of his location, although I'm sure that there are more desirable locations from Hamonic's POV (bc closer to Winnipeg or a city in Western Canada).

To play the Devil's advocate, Hamonic going to a non-western Canadian team just means he is going to request another trade at the end of the season. Might be more of a case of Snow trying to broker a 3-way deal. Since Snow doesn't want picks and prospects, maybe you see something like:

Hamomic to Jets
Morrissey, NYI 7th to SJ
Braun to NYI

And that's not intended to be a real trade, so don't pick it a part, but I could see a 3-way like that being used to bridge Snow's need for a replacement with the originally listed teams inability to provide one. I don't think it's impossible that we are invovled in the trade, but I remain doubtful that Hamonic ends up in teal.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I see Hamonic go to Edmonton. I just have the feeling with the way that teams luck has gone, they end up with Hamonic for something like Yakupov+. Even if its not Yakupov, I think Edmonton has the pieces to get Hamonic. Edmonton also fits what Hamonic is looking for geographically.

And that would immediately make the Oilers a playoff team once McDavid returns.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
To play the Devil's advocate, Hamonic going to a non-western Canadian team just means he is going to request another trade at the end of the season. Might be more of a case of Snow trying to broker a 3-way deal. Since Snow doesn't want picks and prospects, maybe you see something like:

Hamomic to Jets
Morrissey, NYI 7th to SJ
Braun to NYI

And that's not intended to be a real trade, so don't pick it a part, but I could see a 3-way like that being used to bridge Snow's need for a replacement with the originally listed teams inability to provide one. I don't think it's impossible that we are invovled in the trade, but I remain doubtful that Hamonic ends up in teal.

I think it's unlikely as well and agree that Hamonic still wanting to go to Winnipeg is a real risk that DW would need to get compensated for if Hamonic comes here. (Obviously, the Sharks would need to talk to Hamonic and his agent as well.) I think it's possible, though unlikely, that Hamonic could move the relative to Vancouver and then fly there semi-regularly from SJC (or SFO). But that assumes that (1) a sick relative is the reason Hamonic wants to be traded, (2) that relative wouldn't mind moving to Vancouver, and (3) Hamonic wouldn't mind flying to Vancouver from SJ (or wherever they're playing if there is enough time on an off day).

It may be possible for Hamonic to get the relative a visa and move her/him to the USA. I don't know much about visas but I'd guess that would take a while and be a PITA. In the mean time, Hamonic could visit her/him in Vancouver.

I think that's a longshot and agree that a 3-way trade is more likely. I think even that is unlikely but it could work.

It would suck if somehow Edmonton made a favorable deal to get Hamonic without losing too much from their end. That would greatly speed up their rebuild and make them a very tough team to beat.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Landon Ferraro is on waivers. What do folks think of claiming him and putting him on the 4th line instead of Haley, Brown, etc. He's only got 1 point in 17 NHL games but he seems to be a ~20 goal guy in the AHL and at 24 he should certainly fit in with the youth movement. I haven't seen him play lately, but I seem to remember that good speed was one of his attributes in his draft year.

Any thoughts?

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Landon Ferraro is on waivers. What do folks think of claiming him and putting him on the 4th line instead of Haley, Brown, etc. He's only got 1 point in 17 NHL games but he seems to be a ~20 goal guy in the AHL and at 24 he should certainly fit in with the youth movement. I haven't seen him play lately, but I seem to remember that good speed was one of his attributes in his draft year.

Any thoughts?

On the same token, Granberg is a RD that a lot of people like as a safe Dman. Would he be a upgrade at Tenny at this point or is it to little offense to pair with a already defensive DMan like Dillion

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Friedman says LA and Anaheim asked about Hamonic and were told it wasn't happening, so I think we can put that dream to bed.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Nieto and Wingels are playing themselves into trade bait. If we could miraculously land a RD like Spurgeon, I'd be ecstatic but we'd need a clear upgrade at 3rd RD over Tennyson or Mueller to make it worthwhile.

The other option for trade bait is Dillon (assuming Mueller can fill in) - doubtful and Dillon is useful as the 3rd LD.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Nieto and Wingels are playing themselves into trade bait. If we could miraculously land a RD like Spurgeon, I'd be ecstatic but we'd need a clear upgrade at 3rd RD over Tennyson or Mueller to make it worthwhile.

The other option for trade bait is Dillon (assuming Mueller can fill in) - doubtful and Dillon is useful as the 3rd LD.

Nieto isn't good trade bait. We aren't going to get anyone better so may as well keep him. Wingels is decent trade bait.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands

Any thoughts?

I would pick him up for sure.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Sooo is it me, or has Burns been playing D a bit better this year? I know he's a still rocking the negative points (-4 as of 23-Nov), and I'm not an advanced stat guy, but the eye test... he seems to be making less major goofs (minor ones still occurring admittedly).

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Sooo is it me, or has Burns been playing D a bit better this year? I know he's a still rocking the negative points (-4 as of 23-Nov), and I'm not an advanced stat guy, but the eye test... he seems to be making less major goofs (minor ones still occurring admittedly).
I thank Martin for that.

Jul 10, 2010

Paul Martin is leaps and bounds better than Mueller or Dillon and that makes a world of difference

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
With Couture coming back soon our forward lines are set to roll 4 deep, but his injury really exposed how vulnerable our depth is. I'm wondering if it would be smart to either add or upgrade a forward at the deadline if it looks like we are planning on making a deep playoff push. Zubrus seems to have been brought in because our AHL call ups are woefully lacking but he doesn't really help that much if one of our key players goes down.

On defense the problems mostly come from the bottom pairing, so long as our top 4 can stay healthy. An upgrade to Tennyson would make sense, pushing him down to 7d. So would an upgrade to Dillon who has had a rocky start to the season, though he has improved slightly in recent games, but DW may but unwilling to move him. If Mueller can secure his spot it also adds a further variable. A major need seems to be someone who can move the puck, supply offense, and quarterback the 2nd PP unit.

It will be interesting to see if and how these issues are addressed with our limited cap space and picks.

I disagree. How many other teams would play well without their best Center? (Yes, best, Thornton hasn't been good.)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

If we do add at the TDL, I would like us to get a bottom pairing D-man who can QB our 2nd PP unit. Would ideally prefer a top-4 D-man but that is going to be too expensive plus is not really what we 'need'. If we can somehow improve our PP and give the 2nd unit a weapon, it would be great.

Cap space is definitely going to be an issue with us acquiring a vet D-man. But we have pieces like Goldobin, Mueller, Wingels (given our forward health at the TDL), etc. plus picks (hopefully something in 2017) that we could dangle to get a 2nd unit PP QB. Hopefully a young D-man on an RFA or even ELC.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The Sharks have a serious dilemma if they maintain this record for the rest of the season. They are in a playoff spot, playing well, winning games 5 on 5 which is great.

They however have probably the worst special teams (combined) in the league. They are abysmal. I think everyone can agree this is not a personnel issue either, the Sharks on paper should have at least a middle of the pack PK and top-10 PP.

You are not going to win a cup with a 30th ranked PP. Teams that win cups consistently have top-5 ranked special teams, and top-10 at the lowest. Right now, even with the improved play, the Sharks special teams are still not even on the up-swing.

Do the Sharks rent at the deadline to go for a cup if their special teams are still bottom-10 in the league? Do they retain Thornton and Marleau for a hopeless playoff run if they are unwilling to add and the special teams are still in the toilet? It's a dismal situation.

I think the Sharks need to seriously consider bringing in another assistant (either adding or replacing currents assistants) to coach special teams. DeBoer clearly is not getting it done, and this cannot continue. IF they can get the special teams back around middle of the pack by the deadline, and everyone is healthy (including Torres) the Sharks should spend any assets they plan to spend on the defense to upgrade Tennysson and/or Dillon. The forward group could use a small upgrade, but if the goaltending and defense are good enough, I think the forward group we have could get it done. Without a pretty big increase in offensive output from the defense though NO forward group is going to get it done. Focus on the defense, fix that and the special teams and the Sharks might have a real shot (assuming Jones keeps playing as well as he has).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad