Confirmed with Link: Shane Prince (+ OTT 7th rounder) traded to New York Islanders for a 3rd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Nice. So you know for sure that the 3rd round pick is already better than Prince. That's impressive how you can be so absolute about Prince and the completely unknown that is a future draft pick. I'm assuming you are using tea leaves.

Like I said, there is very little chance that a 3rd round pick will even be close to what Prince is now. That's a fact, go a have a look at the percentage of 3rd (a late one to boot) round picks that actually played a game in the NHL.

I already outlined the names. Chiasson, Puempel, Dzingel, Paul. You can't make a good case that either one of them is currently better than Prince.

Right now Prince would go through Waivers and leave for nothing. Even with injuries to forwards Prince could not grab his chance to stick.

A 3rd round pick likely doesn't have the AHL career of Prince. The pick however is better then nothing. And might yield an effective player in 2/3/4 years.

And ALL those players are better then Prince was in the back half of the year on the Sens. All of them. You argue that thereis no "good" case for ANY of them. That is so wrong. Dzingel is similar to Prince but is a better skater (a top notch skater) and he seems to have more jam and energy to me. Paul is a monster sized player, clearly able to play a defensive line role, work the boards, while being effective offensively. Chiasson is bigger, more physical and can play a checking line role. He is not that great but he plays roles that Prince can't. Puempel is meh like Prince. Sorta good. No overall role playing development. He is better simply because he doesn't need to fo through waivers this season.

Prince was great in a handful of games this year. But in most he had no impact and was basically invisible. I actually like him and hope he succeeds. I don't think he will though, as an NHLer. Because all he can do is play a scoring line role, but he is not good enough to do it. I think he will try another couple of years to be in the NHL and then have a successful career in the KHL or Switzerland and be anong the better scorers there and make several hundred K a year. He is like Da Costa. A lot of talent but not the full package of tools to really be an effective scoring line NHLer. But still a great hockey player.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Maybe Prince asked for the trade.

Yes, that is a more likely reason than anything presented by other posters here. Either that or the management weren't keen on his attitude/behaviour (I already mentioned this). The whole other players passing him by on the depth chart is far fetched as far as I'm concerned.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yes, that is a more likely reason than anything presented by other posters here. Either that or the management weren't keen on his attitude/behaviour (I already mentioned this). The whole other players passing him by on the depth chart is far fetched as far as I'm concerned.

Paul and Dzingel were both much more noticeable than he ever was and were so almost immediately.

But ya, totally far-fetched.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Right now Prince would go through Waivers and leave for nothing. Even with injuries to forwards Prince could not grab his chance to stick.

A 3rd round pick likely doesn't have the AHL career of Prince. The pick however is better then nothing. And might yield an effective player in 2/3/4 years.

And ALL those players are better then Prince was in the back half of the year on the Sens. All of them. You argue that thereis no "good" case for ANY of them. That is so wrong. Dzingel is similar to Prince but is a better skater (a top notch skater) and he seems to have more jam and energy to me. Paul is a monster sized player, clearly able to play a defensive line role, work the boards, while being effective offensively. Chiasson is bigger, more physical and can play a checking line role. He is not that great but he plays roles that Prince can't. Puempel is meh like Prince. Sorta good. No overall role playing development. He is better simply because he doesn't need to fo through waivers this season.

Prince was great in a handful of games this year. But in most he had no impact and was basically invisible. I actually like him and hope he succeeds. I don't think he will though, as an NHLer. Because all he can do is play a scoring line role, but he is not good enough to do it. I think he will try another couple of years to be in the NHL and then have a successful career in the KHL or Switzerland and be anong the better scorers there and make several hundred K a year. He is like Da Costa. A lot of talent but not the full package of tools to really be an effective scoring line NHLer. But still a great hockey player.

Basically exactly what I have been saying about Prince for a couple of yrs now. He could carve out a decent career in Europe but I doubt we see him next yr in the NHL but I'm willing to say you never know. I think you nailed it when you explained how other players did a little more outside of goal scoring, all the little things coaches notice more so than Prince.

But I also think Ottawa simply had too many LW players & needed to thin out the herd a little. Prince had his opportunities & they clearly didn't think he would fit here moving forward in the top 6 nor the bottom six & traded him. Hoffman & MacArthur have the top two LW positions sewn up & Smith & likely Paul have the bottom two LW positions sewn up & Dzingel & Puempel should be injury replacements at LW. They still have too many LWers for next season, it wouldn't surprise me to see another one traded before next yr.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Paul and Dzingel were both much more noticeable than he ever was and were so almost immediately.

But ya, totally far-fetched.

Prince had some very noticeable games early on, then I found he disappeared a bit.

Dzingel has looked more comfortable in a top 6 role the times he's been there though, and Paul fits better in the traditional checking role.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If Prince has 1 big playoff game or an important playoff goal the trade will be worth it - this was a risk reward trade for both teams, still TBD who won it

HonestSenator

Dec 11, 2013
Prince likely a Calder finalist this year.......all for a 3rd Rd pick

Maybe it was the "Retro Neil" Halloween outfit that disrespected our franchise player that did Prince in.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Prince had some very noticeable games early on, then I found he disappeared a bit.

Dzingel has looked more comfortable in a top 6 role the times he's been there though, and Paul fits better in the traditional checking role.

I don't mean to imply Prince was never noticeable but I think it's fair to say Dzingel and Paul had a more immediate impact.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Has more playoff goals then every other Sen combined these playoffs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan