Shanahan's biggest gaffe shows he's out of touch: revisiting the "Discounts" quote

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I guess let's ignore the 10% tax difference between Colorado and Toronto? The salary cap is not the same for each team.
Should we also ignore that Marner has 2 million in endorsements because of playing for Toronto?....

According to Forbes, Ovechkin is set to make $5 million in endorsements during the 2019-20 season. That haul leads all NHLers, with Crosby and Connor McDavid a peg below at $4.5 million. Other top earners include Maple Leafs forwards Auston Matthews ($2.3M), Mitch Marner ($2M), and John Tavares ($1.7M). (Though Forbes' numbers are technically unofficial, industry insiders consider them to be fair estimates.)

In most cases, compensation is highly dependent on the team's market. Places such as Toronto, Boston, Vancouver, Philadelphia, and Montreal usually make up the top tier, whereas Carolina, Florida, San Jose, Tampa Bay, and Arizona tend to be considered bottom-tier markets. So, if a Canucks player is traded to the Panthers in the middle of an endorsement deal, he ultimately earns less; the post-trade checks would be only 50% or 75% of what he could have earned in Vancouver. Companies are all about return on investment, and they've determined that return is different in traditional and nontraditional hockey markets.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The biggest strategic error, in my opinion, was Kyle doubling down on the core and telling them they won't be traded under any circumstances.

He's put a pair of self inflicted handcuffs on himself.

I feel like the organization lacks killer instinct from the top down. From the outside it looks like a very positive work culture, everyone loves one another and they’ve accomplished a lot of great things together as a team and individuals. Objectively it seems like a great organization.

But it also lacks that in-house friction and turmoil and consequences you see with championship teams that grind upwards. Just think about how Scotty Bowman always used to press buttons in Montreal and Detroit and the animosity in house. There’s also so much job security: these core guys are so locked in. There just doesn’t seem to be that negative driving force that makes the Leafs want to hate-dominate-win in that old school toxic way. They just don’t have that inner drive to want to crush opponents.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I feel like the organization lacks killer instinct from the top down. From the outside it looks like a very positive work culture, everyone loves one another and they’ve accomplished a lot of great things together as a team and individuals. Objectively it seems like a great organization.

But it also lacks that in-house friction and turmoil and consequences you see with championship teams that grind upwards. Just think about how Scotty Bowman always used to press buttons in Montreal and Detroit and the animosity in house. There’s also so much job security: these core guys are so locked in. There just doesn’t seem to be that negative driving force that makes the Leafs want to hate-dominate-win in that old school toxic way. They just don’t have that inner drive to want to crush opponents.
Agreed.

Last offseason, much of the hockey community was focused on these two things:

1. Nate MacKinnon giving his teammates crap about poor dieting and the importance of eliminating sugar and garbage. He was mocked.

2. The Maple Leafs laxed their team dress code so the players could wear anything they want. They were celebrated.

This is part of what's wrong with the game in general today, and also puts a spotlight on the difference in priorities -- and as you pointed out, "killer instinct".

That said, the Leafs had a nice season and battled Tampa to the end. They deserve credit for that. But the clock is more than ticking on their window as Matthews looms closer to free agency.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Agreed.

1. Nate MacKinnon giving his teammates crap about poor dieting and the importance of eliminating sugar and garbage. He was mocked.

2. The Maple Leafs laxed their team dress code so the players could wear anything they want. They were celebrated.

This is part of what's wrong with the game in general today, and also puts a spotlight on the difference in priorities -- and as you pointed out, "killer instinct".

That said, the Leafs had a nice season and battled Tampa to the end. They deserve credit for that. But the clock is more than ticking on their window as Matthews looms closer to free agency.

Interesting, you should listen to what Kyper had to say this morning about Spezza and hitting the gym. Once he got it, it was too late and his days of chasing a cup are now over. Hopefully he will teach our youngsters what he learned.

Reactions: Boxscore

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Interesting, you should listen to what Kyper had to say this morning about Spezza and hitting the gym. Once he got it, it was too late and his days of chasing a cup are now over. Hopefully he will teach our youngsters what he learned.
No doubt. I believe this 100%.

Reactions: ToneDog

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Agreed.

Dubas has given them everything they want from.their pay to wearing a letter, staying together in certain situations (16 34)to,lax dress code and propping them up and defending at every opportunity. Until this last playoff series they didn't even play hard for him.
Loyalty gone way overboard

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Dubas has given them everything they want from.their pay to wearing a letter, staying together in certain situations (16 34)to,lax dress code and propping them up and defending at every opportunity. Until this last playoff series they didn't even play hard for him.
Loyalty gone way overboard
Very accurate take.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Agreed.

I don’t know, those two examples seem like apples and oranges to me. One (diet) is a key contributor to performance, the other (dress code) is arguably just conservative posturing.
Don’t forget, the Pat Quinn teams also had a country club reputation, but I’d say they had killer instinct, even if they were never quite good enough to get over the hump.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I don’t know, those two examples seem like apples and oranges to me. One (diet) is a key contributor to performance, the other (dress code) is arguably just conservative posturing.
Don’t forget, the Pat Quinn teams also had a country club reputation, but I’d say they had killer instinct, even if they were never quite good enough to get over the hump.
Agreed.

I guess my point was more about what each team focused on. To a man, the Avs were so upset with losing, their best player was focused on doing everything it takes to get to the next level. The Leafs, they were focused on dress code.

Just seems to me that the Leafs organization loves to coddle, while the Avs could be more focused on taking care of business.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

Quinn's teams ran on Sudafed and nicotine.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
To me, the dress code is more the mentality. Wearing suits is not about looking good, it is about being professional and being at work. Thats the mentality these players should have, they are not attending a party or a movie opening, they are going to work and the results is the CUP.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Big factor for Marner.

Still Dubas' fault - he should have bridged them
So many idiots keep pointing to Tkachuk and say that bridging is stupid because "Look at his qualifying offer now" ....well are we smarter because we paid full price for the last 3yrs instead of a discount? How does that make any sense? You bridge them until they have proven their worth while leaving them an RFA at the end of the deal so you're not a hostage like we are with AM and his NMC.

We will know when AM is up for renewal whether or not he really takes winning seriously. If he wants to be in McDavid territory for $$....he doesn't care about winning. Having so many guys that are basically replacement level play for this team should have shown him that he can't have all the money AND field a good team. Same goes for MM.

Reactions: ToneDog

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

Craig Button said it best. He said the Leafs play like their management "nicely"....They keep questioning why they don't have killer instinct when the management team exudes "Niceness and fairness"....they(MLSE) are the pot calling the kettle black IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad