Shanahan's biggest gaffe shows he's out of touch: revisiting the "Discounts" quote

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Shanahan.quote.discount.png

‘This may not be for everyone’: Shanahan talks Maple Leafs and hometown discounts
The Maple Leafs face the difficult task of keeping their soon-to-be high-priced band together, and team president Brendan Shanahan hinted at young stars making financial sacrifices
KEN CAMPBELL
OCT 4, 2018
The Toronto Maple Leafs won their first game of the 2018-19 season because they have all-world talents such as Auston Matthews in their lineup. The Toronto Maple Leafs will win a lot of games this season because they have all-world talents such as Auston Matthews in their lineup.
But to listen to team president Brendan Shanahan, or at least read between the lines of what he’s saying, Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and William Nylander are going to have to take hometown discounts if they want to keep the band together on a long-term basis. Speaking to the media hours before his team skated to a 3-2 overtime victory on the strength of two goals by Matthews, Shanahan was talking about his team in general and the Nylander contract imbroglio in particular.
“We need players who want to be Maple Leafs,” Shanahan said when discussing his team in generalities. “This may not be for everyone.”

More at: (source)

What a screw up that was.
He ate 7 AAV for his loose lips.

Dubas Overpays:
Matthews 2, Marner 3, Tavares 1, Nylander 1.

Shanny should go for that. His lack of understanding of negotiations showed.

Someone else can oversee the team for a year and then decide if Dubas and Keefe should go.

There is zero risk in pink slipping Shanahan this year. It wont effect the on ice play next year.

Time to pink slip Shanahan.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think the guys really care about each other at all, just look at how they are playing on the ice. It's all "me, me, me". These guys just don't have "it". You can't teach "it". You have to be born with "it". The team is becoming thinner and thinner right infront of their eyes because of the contracts they took.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Why did the hockey mecca of the world hire a rookie to be the president?

Who let this rookie president hire a rookie gm?

How did this rookie gm get to hire a rookie coach?

What a perplexing time to be a leafs fan.

It is unreal. This organization has more resources than any in the entire NHL and this is what we end up with. You’re 100% spot on.

Shanahan has now been here for SEVEN years without a playoff win. He is nothing but a politician. Chris Chelios said this when Shanny was hired. He’s just a politician and shouldn’t be running an NHL organization. He has been proven right. It is imperative that Shanny gets fired ASAP.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
View attachment 448486

‘This may not be for everyone’: Shanahan talks Maple Leafs and hometown discounts

More at: (source)

What a screw up that was.
He ate 7 AAV for his loose lips.

Dubas Overpays:
Matthews 2, Marner 3, Tavares 1, Nylander 1.

Shanny should go for that. His lack of understanding of negotiations showed.

Someone else can oversee the team for a year and then decide if Dubas and Keefe should go.

There is zero risk in pink slipping Shanahan this year. It wont effect the on ice play next year.

Time to pink slip Shanahan.

You genuinely think the Leafs' core is 7 mill overpaid combined... Some people seriously need a reality check.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
While I wouldn't necessarily state that those contracts are on Shanahan, the success - or lack thereof - of Dubas in the GM role seems inextricably linked to Shanahan.

Reactions: glue and rumman

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
While I wouldn't necessarily state that those contracts are on Shanahan, the success - or lack thereof - of Dubas in the GM role seems inextricably linked to Shanahan.

He treated a HOF GM like he is some dementia patient being put into a home. That old man went to Long Island, is up for GM of the year and has his club in the final 4 for the 2nd straight season.

That alone should get him blackballed from the league.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
He probably said that knowing what they were asking for and clearly the players didn't listen privately so he tried to make it public as a last resort which in hindsight didn't work either but he is not wrong if winning is a priority.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He probably said that knowing what they were asking for and clearly the players didn't listen privately so he tried to make it public as a last resort which in hindsight didn't work either but he is not wrong if winning is a priority.

Players who don't negotiate in good faith = bridge or sit.
every time

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I pretty much agree. Although Tavares was signed at market value for a UFA and I’m fine with Mathews price but the length should have been max for that price. Marner is too high and I guess Willy is sorta alright but it’s not like he brings a pile of other attributes with him. He was good this playoffs though. Tavares money may have been better spent elsewhere in hindsight.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He treated a HOF GM like he is some dementia patient being put into a home. That old man went to Long Island, is up for GM of the year and has his club in the final 4 for the 2nd straight season.

That alone should get him blackballed from the league.

Lamoriello being GM for just the duration of that contract was the intended plan. He's also the President with NYI. The success of NYI isn't necessarily intertwined with the lack of success of the Maple Leafs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A team like the Bruins have established a very strong organizational culture but it did come at a very high and painful price from a personnel point of view. You have to draft well and develop well to be able to trade out guys like Thornton, Kessel, Seguin and Hamilton who weren’t the right fit from a money or culture point of view. But the guys who do stick around will go through a wall for you.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Apparently Brendan Shanahan at some point in this process thought turning his players into exalted individual identities outside of being Toronto Maple Leafs was a really really bad idea. What happened?

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad