Value of: Shai Buium

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You realize everyone who wants to react has to go read up on the guy, it takes up time, and you could save 20 people 5 minutes each by typing up the basic information as to who the guy is, why he might be dealt, etc.

Weird. There have been several replies and you're the only one complaining, but for some reason think you're speaking for the people.

Reactions: Kaizen

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
From the Coyotes, I'd offer Florida's '24 2nd round pick. I think it's similar to the McBain trade.

If proximity to SoCal is important to Buium, AZ is a pretty good spot. Coyotes' 3rd round pick Miko Matikka is a teammate at Denver. And as far as opportunity, the Coyotes have a pretty wide-open lane to an NHL roster spot - there's literally no one signed for the D corps next year. (In actuality, there's Moser and Valimaki on the left side)

Reactions: Holden Caufield

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There normally isn't a bio in these type of posts. Also most browsers have tabs. If you're that lazy that you can't read up on a prospect yourself then simply don't read or get involved in the thread. Simplez
I somewhat agree, but do tend to include a brief synopsis of the player when I create a thread like this.

I like the elder Buium. If he was signed he'd be worth a 2nd, but since he isn't... I dunno, a 4th?

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I’d much rather lose Buium next year for nothing than get a 2nd or later pick for him now. Makes zero sense to trade him now.

Makes sense if were aware he doesn't want to come . Much rather get a prospect like colangelo or someone similar rather than the pick and waiting 5 years for that pick

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ya have a bad feeling he wont want to sign f*** . hes from San Diego

Trade him to Anaheim for sam colangelo who's playing in Michigan and might not sign as well from what I seen
Looks like Colangelo is going to sign today at some point.

So what else you need lol

Reactions: Mrfenn92

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I don't see Shai being traded for picks if he isn't willing to sign. I'd see him being traded for a similar aged forward prospect or being included in a bigger deal.

The reason I could see Shai not wanting to sign in Detroit is due to the Wings depth at D. He doesn't need another year in the NCAA and I don't think the whole brother bit would be a determining factor.

Right now the Wings have Seider, Ed, and Aljo definitely in front of him. Two of those guys are on the team and 1 is out of waiver options next year so he will likely be up. That's 3 of 6 slots being taken by young home grown dmen. Then he would be competing with Wallinder, Tuomisto, ASP, Johansson for the remaining spots and lets be real NHL teams rarely have a top 6 defense that is all home grown and young. So he might be competing with 4 other guys for 1 spot in the near future, and one of those guys is a 1st rounder with a high end pedigree in ASP.

This isn't to say that he couldn't come in and outperform all of the above listed guys but the odds are not stacked in his favor for making the NHL anytime soon if he signs with the Wings. So it may make sense to hang out with his brother for another year, take a run at an NCAA championship and sign someplace where he has a better chance of making the NHL sometime soon.

With Ed and Aljo likely graduating, he should at least have a clear AHL spot if he does sign with the Wings.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I don't see Shai being traded for picks if he isn't willing to sign. I'd see him being traded for a similar aged forward prospect or being included in a bigger deal.

The reason I could see Shai not wanting to sign in Detroit is due to the Wings depth at D. He doesn't need another year in the NCAA and I don't think the whole brother bit would be a determining factor.

Right now the Wings have Seider, Ed, and Aljo definitely in front of him. Two of those guys are on the team and 1 is out of waiver options next year so he will likely be up. That's 3 of 6 slots being taken by young home grown dmen. Then he would be competing with Wallinder, Tuomisto, ASP, Johansson for the remaining spots and lets be real NHL teams rarely have a top 6 defense that is all home grown and young. So he might be competing with 4 other guys for 1 spot in the near future, and one of those guys is a 1st rounder with a high end pedigree in ASP.

This isn't to say that he couldn't come in and outperform all of the above listed guys but the odds are not stacked in his favor for making the NHL anytime soon if he signs with the Wings. So it may make sense to hang out with his brother for another year, take a run at an NCAA championship and sign someplace where he has a better chance of making the NHL sometime soon.

With Ed and Aljo likely graduating, he should at least have a clear AHL spot if he does sign with the Wings.

He should 100% have a spot in grand rapids next season . As for a future nhl spot on the wings asp tuomisto Gibson seider are all righties

Love Johansson and he should be up next season with the wings but he still has no nhl experience. Like wallinder but same and who knows what will become of him

Buium can still have a spot on the wings in a few years. With a salary cap in place walman might have to be moved and replaced with a buium down the road. Think he has as good a shot at making the wings as anywhere else

That's up to him though, I wouldnt feel comfortable with him going into ncaa another season with no contract and would deal him immediately cause I'd suspect hed be a goner for sure

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

It’s really not how competitive athletes think though. They want to compete. In fact most young dmen would see this as a better opportunity because they’re getting a chance to compete against other young players, and not necessarily veterans with long term contracts.

Detroit is going to have to thin out their defensive prospect pool with a trade or two. If Buium is one of those players traded, than that’s how it’ll play out, but compete wise, so many things can go wrong if he “chooses” to stay in college. He’s definitely on track. No reason to sidetrack yourself.

There’s just as good of a chance Detroit trades Johansson. If he joins GR to end this season and he’s just better than those other players, he will pass them on the depth chart immediately. Look how Tuomisto changed his status this year. His ice time in Grand Rapids shows, if you come in, and are better than your teammates, you’re getting opportunities.

It all comes down to, if you’re good enough, you’ll be playing in the NHL.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
It’s really not how competitive athletes think though. They want to compete. In fact most young dmen would see this as a better opportunity because they’re getting a chance to compete against other young players, and not necessarily veterans with long term contracts.

Detroit is going to have to thin out their defensive prospect pool with a trade or two. If Buium is one of those players traded, than that’s how it’ll play out, but compete wise, so many things can go wrong if he “chooses” to stay in college. He’s definitely on track. No reason to sidetrack yourself.

There’s just as good of a chance Detroit trades Johansson. If he joins GR to end this season and he’s just better than those other players, he will pass them on the depth chart immediately. Look how Tuomisto changed his status this year. His ice time in Grand Rapids shows, if you come in, and are better than your teammates, you’re getting opportunities.

It all comes down to, if you’re good enough, you’ll be playing in the NHL.

I disagree to some extent. While I agree that these guys are very competitive, I also think they are looking out for themselves to figure out what their best chance at becoming an NHLer. We are talking about millions of dollars potentially being on the line. It's one thing if you are a bluechip prospect that looks like a for sure top 4 guy. You are likely to be favored for ice time or given extra time to work out your game kinks. If you aren't looked at as a sure bet though it is easy to get lost in the jumble if there are a lot of guys vying for only a couple of spots.

Finding a team with less D prospect depth likely means more playing and development time at the AHL level, more potential special teams playing time, and more eventual roster spots available at the NHL level. Thats potentially huge for a non blue chip guy, and as a UFA he could choose that best spot. A team beginning to tank or just coming out that has less depth and has roster spots.

I also think its likely that the D line is thinned out a bit this season. I see Aljo and Buium probably as the two guys perhaps being dealt. Having too many good young dmen is a good position to be in.

Reactions: Blueston

iago

Apr 2, 2024
A short bio would've been nice.... I'm not aware of every 2nd round pick from 3 years ago.

Shocking, I know.
There is a sight called Elite Prospects. I type in Detroit Red Wings Elite Prospects in the search, then click on the "In the System" tab. It will show you every prospect a team has control over, their current contract status, stats from this season...and if you click on any players name, you get their bio and Stat history. Other tabs get you the big clubs roster, stats, and contract info. In short, everything you need. You can look at it this way for every team in the league.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I disagree to some extent. While I agree that these guys are very competitive, I also think they are looking out for themselves to figure out what their best chance at becoming an NHLer. We are talking about millions of dollars potentially being on the line. It's one thing if you are a bluechip prospect that looks like a for sure top 4 guy. You are likely to be favored for ice time or given extra time to work out your game kinks. If you aren't looked at as a sure bet though it is easy to get lost in the jumble if there are a lot of guys vying for only a couple of spots.

Finding a team with less D prospect depth likely means more playing and development time at the AHL level, more potential special teams playing time, and more eventual roster spots available at the NHL level. Thats potentially huge for a non blue chip guy, and as a UFA he could choose that best spot. A team beginning to tank or just coming out that has less depth and has roster spots.

I also think its likely that the D line is thinned out a bit this season. I see Aljo and Buium probably as the two guys perhaps being dealt. Having too many good young dmen is a good position to be in.
Obviously there’s always gonna be a particular situation that gives a kid a better chance to play in the NHL earlier, but it really isn’t how “Drafted” players think about things. Not to the extent they’d sit out a year of paid, pro hockey, for a “maybe” situation. Who’s to say whatever team, doesn’t acquire 2-3 veterans right after he signed next summer? Then he’s in a worse situation.

Like I said, these guys are super competitive. They just don’t think that way. Obviously a UDFA can try to pick and choose, but history shows, it really doesn’t work. You’re either good enough to play in the NHL or you’re not.

He actually has a much better chance to get earlier NHL paychecks, signing with a team who’s more heavy with players on ELCs than veterans with guaranteed money. He only has to beat out other prospects, rather than players who’ve earned NHL contracts because they’ve proven they’re NHL players already. Detroit, like every team, will send a player down, who’s on an ELC, much quicker than an NHL contract player. The more NHL contracts, the harder it is to get an NHL paycheck for an ELC player.

Detroit only has a couple of veterans with 2+ years, and they’re not all-stars. It’s a very good situation for him.

Once again, nobody’s gonna hand anyone an NHL job because of where they were drafted. They may get more opportunities in the AHL earlier, but that’s literally like training camp time. Tuomisto signed his ELC knowing he might play in the ECHL this year, and now he’s a top pairing AHL dman, with a good chance to play NHL games next year. The Wings like Buium. He’s gonna get just as many opportunities as any other prospect, but he’s gonna have to earn ice time in GR, just as he’s going to have to earn NHL time, no matter the situation. That will also apply to ASP when he comes over. He’ll have to earn it, and if Buium is better, he’ll be ahead of him on the depth chart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad