Value of: Shai Buium

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
It would be his rights.

Detroit has a lot of young defenseman coming up, so maybe he wants to look elsewhere.
What are you thinking for a ball park value?

I could see the Blues potentially being interested.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ya have a bad feeling he wont want to sign f*** . hes from San Diego

Trade him to Anaheim for sam colangelo who's playing in Michigan and might not sign as well from what I seen
If colangelo doesnt want to sign, i suppose that could work.

tho im still hoping hell sign in anaheim.... his skillset would be ideal.... also have Moore out of harvard that might be along shot to sign.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
draft picks are obviously extremely important building blox to franchises . but with idiots running the league teams can lose those draft pix and get nothing in return

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Lots of teams would be interested in Buium, but good chance he’s playing in Grand Rapids next season. He’s taken major steps this season. Could they trade him? Sure. He’s had a good relationship with Detroit though.

Reactions: saintunspecified

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Ya have a bad feeling he wont want to sign f*** . hes from San Diego

Trade him to Anaheim for sam colangelo who's playing in Michigan and might not sign as well from what I seen
Problem is Anaheim has Mintyukov, Zellweger, LaCombe, Vaakanainen, and Hinds on the left already, all but Hinds have shown they can play at the NHL level.

Now if you have a defensive RHD Ducks will deal Colangelo for him. Ducks have a hole at 2nd line RW so Colangelo should sign because he could be exactly what the Ducks need (big body, RHS RW).

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Hmmm wondering If he will really sign ? Free agency where his brother goes probably what's blowing in the wind .

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I highly doubt the Wings trade Buium. The logjam will clear up around when (if) he’s ready for the NHL. He’s progressing nicely, I doubt anything worthwhile gets offered to him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is there any smoke to him not wanting to sign with Detroit? Or is it just the general worry that he might go back for his senior year to play another year with his brother?

Because of the CBA, Buium wouldn't necessarily be delaying his free agency clock if he were to sign next month (3 year ELC) vs. April 2025 (2 year). But if he'd delay it by a year if he waited until August 2025.

Recently Jack McBain and Henry Thrun declined to sign with their drafting teams and both fetched 2nd and 3rd rounders respectively.

Reactions: bernmeister

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Is there any smoke to him not wanting to sign with Detroit? Or is it just the general worry that he might go back for his senior year to play another year with his brother?

Because of the CBA, Buium wouldn't necessarily be delaying his free agency clock if he were to sign next month (3 year ELC) vs. April 2025 (2 year). But if he'd delay it by a year if he waited until August 2025.

Recently Jack McBain and Henry Thrun declined to sign with their drafting teams and both fetched 2nd and 3rd rounders respectively.
He’s had a good relationship with Detroit. Nothing suggests he’s going to play any games signing his ELC.

That’s more just fans on sites like these, trying to invent scenarios where the brothers play together in the NHL. There’s actually more of a chance that happens in Detroit, than anywhere else.

The entire Anaheim, “he’s from SoCal” thing is a meaningless invention really. If people understood the SoCal minor hockey scene, they’d understand these elite So-Cal kids, end up playing in places like Detroit, much more than they ever play in LA/Orange County growing up. All the way back to the original 88’ Westminster Wave team that made the initial SoCal splash into the North American AAA scene, people would be amazed how much money parents spent on travel, and ultimately, their kid leaving home to play minor hockey.. It’s very normal for parents to pay $25-$50k a year for their kids to play at 12, 13, 14 years old.

So the kids end up at a Shattuck St Mary’s in Minnesota, or playing for one of the Honeybaked, Belle Tire, Compuware Detroit teams, living with a billet family. We’ve even seen many families move to Detroit.

The So-Cal kids end up playing away from home so much, it’s not like Detroit, Minnesota, Buffalo, Boston, or fill in the blank Canadian town kids, who grow up playing in their hometowns. So we see very little of the “I wanna play in my hometown thing from SoCal kids.

By the time they’ve been drafted, they can barely remember where they’re from.

He’ll get together with Detroit in the next few weeks, and decide his immediate future.

He’s up for “Dman of the Year”, and both Offensive Dman, and Defensive Dman of the year awards this year. Against his brother in 2 of those 3 categories. He really has accomplished what he came to college to do, from a hockey standpoint. He’s won a NC, turned into a top 2-way prospect, and if they don’t win again this year (playing with his brother) it would literally be his only reason for returning to DU next year. To win a NC with his brother.

To be fair to the discussion, Detroit does have some issues to resolve though. Not only is Grand Rapids already carrying 5 young D prospects, they have two more that need to come over next year, as well as Buium. So they do have some shuffling of prospects to do.

Can he end up traded? Absolutely. In fact, many think Detroit will trade a couple of their D prospects this summer, to upgrade the NHL roster. So it is an option, but it’s not something being forced in any way, from Shai’s standpoint. At least not yet, and nothing suggests that’s coming.

My guess is, he signs with Detroit after DU’s season. I’d give it a 10% chance they sit down and decide returning for another year in college is best for his development.

That log-jam I mentioned, shouldn’t keep a kid from progressing in his development. From a pure hockey standpoint, its time he turns pro.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
A short bio would've been nice.... I'm not aware of every 2nd round pick from 3 years ago.

Shocking, I know.

If only there were some type of website where you could search for anything and everything to find out more information about it.

If we had that kind of website, it'd probably have taken you less time than it did to type this post.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
If only there were some type of website where you could search for anything and everything to find out more information about it.

If we had that kind of website, it'd probably have taken you less time than it did to type this post.

I was just going to say the same, although not nearly as 'nice' as you did....

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I highly doubt the Wings trade Buium. The logjam will clear up around when (if) he’s ready for the NHL. He’s progressing nicely, I doubt anything worthwhile gets offered to him.

That echoing is the sound of near 24 year old Jonatan Berggren laughing from the press box after his 3rd straight healthy scratch.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

You realize everyone who wants to react has to go read up on the guy, it takes up time, and you could save 20 people 5 minutes each by typing up the basic information as to who the guy is, why he might be dealt, etc.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
You realize everyone who wants to react has to go read up on the guy, it takes up time, and you could save 20 people 5 minutes each by typing up the basic information as to who the guy is, why he might be dealt, etc.

There normally isn't a bio in these type of posts. Also most browsers have tabs. If you're that lazy that you can't read up on a prospect yourself then simply don't read or get involved in the thread. Simplez

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad