Proposal: Seth Jones to Flyers

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Context matters.

But don't let that stop ya.

I think the issue is that "we'll trade him in the offseason if he won't sign" is, at least superficially, very different from what happened in the other situation.

In one situation the issue is "we'll trade him in the offseason if he won't sign" while in the other situation that 's really not at all what happened. So the situations seem to be being addressed differently, and are not the same, and therefore dilute your point that they are in fact the same and will be treated the same.

Now, if "we'll trade him in the offseason if he won't sign" is the same as what happened in the other situation, it would require an explanation of how they are the same, keeping in mind the stated intent of "we'll trade him in the offseason if he won't sign" is not the same as what happened in the other situation.

Also, this situation is different than what happened previously because of the issue that "we'll trade him in the offseason if he won't sign", which is different.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Posting a stat that has McCann as #7 and Brendan Smith #16 in an attempt to show how good someone is, is a flawed stat.
He must be one of those analytics blokes. I judge from what I see. No other team in the NHL fears facing the Flyers and they haven't been feared on the offensive side for many,many years. It's a flawed team/organization, and players like Giroux and Couturier shine like fresh brass when they need to shine like gold in the league.

Reactions: hmc1987

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Posting a stat that has McCann as #7 and Brendan Smith #16 in an attempt to show how good someone is, is a flawed stat.
Not one for advanced stats showing the whole picture, but maybe do a slight amount of research on a player before using his name being on a list as a point to reinforce your negative opinion of the list.

Case in point, McCann has been awesome this year. This season, in the entire NHL, he's been hanging around top 25 in pts per 60mins (currently top 20) top 10 in goals per 60 (was top 5 a week ago) and number 2 in PP Goals per 60 (all stats w/ minimum mins played of course). That's just to name a few things showing his elevation to another level this season. And there are quite a few more besides the eye test (which judging from your post you haven't seen much of him so the eye test won't matter).

Agree with your premise and again I don't put nearly as much stock in metrics as many seem to these days (even as I use stats to reinforce my point yet they aren't of the "fancy stats" variety & are based on what I put more stock in; results).
Even with the disclaimer, he's really taken his game to a different level this year and McCann's earned at the very least a valid argument for his name being where it is on that list.

As a Pens fan though, I'd LOVE seeing Coots traded out of the division. Dude is the exact definition of an all around great player. Does everything, does it very well and at a high level. You don't move guys like that unless you have to or the offer is an overpayment. I don't know what his contract situation is or what the rumblings out of Philly are about an extension however which of course would definitely affect his trade potential IMO.
And as much as I like Jones, and as much potential he showed a couple seasons ago as a future perennial Norris finalist, he's seemed to plateau at a level below that mark.
Still a valuable player and an impact player but not worth Couturier...especially with Coots 4.3mill cap hit

Reactions: Starat327

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad