Proposal: Seth Jones to Flyers

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Jones for Cotourier

Both 1 year UFA. Both teams can talk w/ prior to trade. Flyers have too many Centers and need a Top 4 RHD and Jones is a Top 2 RHD. Coots is a Top 10 C in the league...Selke in 2020 and is dominating again, 3rd or 4th year going.

The Flyers don't need Jones anywhere near as much as they do Couturier.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This should be pinned in everyones mind for the forseeable future:

Seth Jones is not available. And the only way he will be is if he rejects a contract extension this summer. Check back then.

Troygambletheforgot

Sep 20, 2020
I saw this on capfriendly trade proposals

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-18_20-6-53.png
    upload_2021-4-18_20-6-53.png
    576.2 KB · Views: 18

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
If you’re looking at GAR/xGAR then Jones isn’t even a top 50 D-man over the last 3 seasons.

I want absolutely nothing to do with him. He’s been horrific this season and was overrated before that, too

Oh I agree, Jones has definitely been quite overrated throughout his prime and has completely fallen off the cliff these past couple of seasons. I didn't mean he is considered by me a top 15 dman. Should've elaborated that I hinted about him being a media darling for some reason, sorry about that.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Worried about giving Couts an 8 yr extension though. Hes injury plagued already and will be 29-30 when new contract kicks in

We have noone in the organization that can replace him. The drop from Couturier to Hayes is much wider than the gap from Jones to Ghost.

In fairness, we don't have anyone like Jones either, but i feel better with who we do have to play defense by committee than I do playing center by committee.

Reactions: BHD

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
We have noone in the organization that can replace him. The drop from Couturier to Hayes is much wider than the gap from Jones to Ghost.

In fairness, we don't have anyone like Jones either, but i feel better with who we do have to play defense by committee than I do playing center by committee.

We disagree. Couts is that good BUT hes already injury plagued at 29 and Jones is younger with a healthier track record. This team isnt competing any time soon so retaining Couts is pointless unless we're gonna move him later anyways. Need to unload Voracek, among others, when able

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
This should be pinned in everyones mind for the forseeable future:

Seth Jones is not available. And the only way he will be is if he rejects a contract extension this summer. Check back then.
well isn’t this usually how GM’s operate? Lay the groundwork for a player and take it from there if he doesn’t intend to stay. All big names that are moved pretty get moved in this matter. So based off that I would think that the discussion in this thread would be if he hypothetically rejected an offer and indicated he is not going to sign?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Worried about giving Couts an 8 yr extension though. Hes injury plagued already and will be 29-30 when new contract kicks in
Since Jones entered the league in 2103:

Couturier has missed 48 games
Jones has missed 44 games

Last 4 years:
Couturier has missed 13 games
Jones has missed 35

And Jones will be 28 when his next contract starts...just 1 year younger.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Lol yeah man just a selke winner and top 5 C in the league
I know that Couturier was awarded that trophy last season, but has he been consistent this season? No, he hasn't.
Flyers fans on this forum are so defensive about the team they support that they only seem to see their team through orange tinted lenses. The team is bad, very bad. You could get vintage Scotty Bowman to coach this team and they'd still be bad and inconsistent. That's why I am not blaming Alain Vigneault and his staff. It's time for the players to be blamed for their shortcomings. Couturier is arguably the best player on the Flyers currently, even though most people who support the Flyers will say that Giroux still holds that title, he doesn't.
Should the Flyers trade Couturier? No, they shouldn't, but I don't put him on the "best in the NHL" plinth either. By the way, he won't win it this year. No Flyers player should be considered for any award after this horrible season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
well isn’t this usually how GM’s operate? Lay the groundwork for a player and take it from there if he doesn’t intend to stay. All big names that are moved pretty get moved in this matter. So based off that I would think that the discussion in this thread would be if he hypothetically rejected an offer and indicated he is not going to sign?

I mean you (and others) can do that, but as a jackets fan why would I want to deal with that hypothetical unless I had to?

Im sure jarmo has a plan in place if Jones says no. However I am not him. And I’m sure plans A-Y is to sign Jones.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I know that Couturier was awarded that trophy last season, but has he been consistent this season? No, he hasn't.
Flyers fans on this forum are so defensive about the team they support that they only seem to see their team through orange tinted lenses. The team is bad, very bad. You could get vintage Scotty Bowman to coach this team and they'd still be bad and inconsistent. That's why I am not blaming Alain Vigneault and his staff. It's time for the players to be blamed for their shortcomings. Couturier is arguably the best player on the Flyers currently, even though most people who support the Flyers will say that Giroux still holds that title, he doesn't.
Should the Flyers trade Couturier? No, they shouldn't, but I don't put him on the "best in the NHL" plinth either. By the way, he won't win it this year. No Flyers player should be considered for any award after this horrible season.

Giroux has been better than Couturier this season, yes. But Giroux has also been a top 10 player this season, perhaps even top 5, so that's not saying much. They've been pretty close the previous three seasons before this. They're both elite despite Couturier's down season (by his standards).

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think 2 things have to happen.

The team getting him get to discuss next contract. 1 year left and trading a lot is a no go.

If he wants out the team will want a new contract and trade and signs happen.

I think that Jackets #1 goal is to keep and pay the man. I hope they get to keep him and he doesn't walk.
I really do

I think a 1C is the ask.

Reactions: WidgitRibbit

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
That would imply the CBJ would choose not to trade him at all. That's not going to happen. He's either extended or moved before the season and the return would be quite significant.

Read it wrong. Read it as CBJ would just wait till next years deadline.

Reactions: Xoggz22

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
I think 2 things have to happen.

The team getting him get to discuss next contract. 1 year left and trading a lot is a no go.

If he wants out the team will want a new contract and trade and signs happen.

I think that Jackets #1 goal is to keep and pay the man. I hope they get to keep him and he doesn't walk.
I really do

I think a 1C is the ask.

The team trading for him would need permission talking to Jones regarding an extensions before offering a 1C.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Giroux has been better than Couturier this season, yes. But Giroux has also been a top 10 player this season, perhaps even top 5, so that's not saying much. They've been pretty close the previous three seasons before this. They're both elite despite Couturier's down season (by his standards).

Giroux has been Top 5 in the league ?

Are we watching the same games?

Reactions: Limeyjim

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Advanced stats mean little when the result is being 20+ points behind the top players. At some point, results matter.

Giroux has played great. But he has not played top 10...certainly not top 5 in the league good.

Harder to be as good as he has with all the crap around him:

Attachments

• 074B0714-2FD8-43CE-AC2F-318D6A981D0C.png
    074B0714-2FD8-43CE-AC2F-318D6A981D0C.png
    273.4 KB · Views: 9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad