Injury Report: Seth Jones out 3 weeks-broken foot

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Despite being a -1 tonight (plus, minus blah blah blah).. Jones played 23 minutes TOI.. had 4 SOG. Displayed tremendous puck handling skills to keep the puck in the zone multiple times. Honestly thought he had one of his best games of the season in his return tonight. Didn't miss a beat.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Despite being a -1 tonight (plus, minus blah blah blah).. Jones played 23 minutes TOI.. had 4 SOG. Displayed tremendous puck handling skills to keep the puck in the zone multiple times. Honestly thought he had one of his best games of the season in his return tonight. Didn't miss a beat.

Agreed, thought he was solid.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He was positively flying out there. And he was a big reason the Jackets had most of the possession in periods 1 and 3. Maybe a bit too excited -- he didn't always back up when the Avs were starting to rush, he'd attack them, and left Werenski hanging on a 2 on 1 (maybe a couple of them?). I really liked it, I think he needs to play with more fire like that. Maybe tonight was a bit over the edge, but I think he'll ultimately come closer to realizing his full abilities if he plays a riskier game.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
He was positively flying out there. And he was a big reason the Jackets had most of the possession in periods 1 and 3. Maybe a bit too excited -- he didn't always back up when the Avs were starting to rush, he'd attack them, and left Werenski hanging on a 2 on 1 (maybe a couple of them?). I really liked it, I think he needs to play with more fire like that. Maybe tonight was a bit over the edge, but I think he'll ultimately come closer to realizing his full abilities if he plays a riskier game.

"riskier game"... I agree. I think Seth plays best when he is jumping into the play and not sitting back. It seems like he thrives when the game is faster paced.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I think he.narrowly missed one too off the left post I think it was in the 2nd if I'm not mistaken. Kid didn't seem to have.missed a beat. Maybe a little to aggressive but that is probably him just wanting to get out there after missing about 10 games. For someone his size he absolutely Flys. Honestly I see our top pair being the USA top line for the next decade of international tournaments. Both guys are exceptional on both ends of the ice and I see them as a huge factor in us being a wild card or better team this year. Let's see how they do tonight.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I think he.narrowly missed one too off the left post I think it was in the 2nd if I'm not mistaken. Kid didn't seem to have.missed a beat. Maybe a little to aggressive but that is probably him just wanting to get out there after missing about 10 games. For someone his size he absolutely Flys. Honestly I see our top pair being the USA top line for the next decade of international tournaments. Both guys are exceptional on both ends of the ice and I see them as a huge factor in us being a wild card or better team this year. Let's see how they do tonight.

Honestly, With how they make out Team USA/who gets invites, and who wants to come, I doubt they will be playing for Team USA for the next decade. They won't play for the IIHF World's because that usually goes to players that aren't in the playoffs, a couple veterans, rising college players, a lot of no name's to casual fans. Team USA usually fields a weak group, and I usually don't care too highly about it.

The Olympics are once every four years, and it doesn't seem like the NHL owner's will allow them to compete this next time. World Cup of Hockey bypassed some of the top Americans for Brandon Dubinsky, Jack Johnson, Palmieri, Abdelkader and tried to make it about "grit, toughness". It can be more political in my honest opinion.

But, I do think they could/should play for Team USA.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
I didn't really know where else to ask this but this involves Seth Jones so I came here.

I'm a Flames fan and live in Calgary. How late do players usually stay out before game day? A friend of mine posted a snapchat story of Seth Jones at Cowboys (a club) at 1:30am tonight.

I'm not saying that in a bad way or anything because I'm sure lots of athletes stay out late the night before game days but it got me wondering what time most athletes usually stay out till. Anyone have a clue?

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I didn't really know where else to ask this but this involves Seth Jones so I came here.

I'm a Flames fan and live in Calgary. How late do players usually stay out before game day? A friend of mine posted a snapchat story of Seth Jones at Cowboys (a club) at 1:30am tonight.

I'm not saying that in a bad way or anything because I'm sure lots of athletes stay out late the night before game days but it got me wondering what time most athletes usually stay out till. Anyone have a clue?

Coach Tortorella is on record of saying that the team does not have a curfew. In addition, there is no morning skate.

I can't comment on other teams or pro athletes in general.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I'm not sure, but in our case it may be later than usual since Tortorella doesn't believe in morning skates. :dunno:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

That's nothing. Not saying I agree with it, but it isn't a big deal, especially since they don't have s game in the morning.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

If he does it every night and his play suffers it would be an issue.
I know in early days of CBJ when I lived downtown you would often see the guys out. Wasn't a big deal in most cases. Now a guy like Zherdev who did it every night that became an issue and a distraction.
But they are grown men, with a lot of disposable income. You can't put them on a leash. You treat them like men and let the room get anyone back in line who goes to far.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
I saw the thread title and thought he was injured again. Don't do that.

The dispatch guys were talking about the morning skates and lackthereof on their podcast. I've always thought it was silly to make the guys come in, put on all of their gear, have a light practice, take off all the gear, shower, leave, go back home or hotel, have a few hours to nap, come back to the arena, put on all the gear again, and then play later that day. It seemed like it only happened to discourage players from staying out all night the night before a game and then every other team had to start doing it because they didn't want to risk being at a disadvantage because they weren't practicing as much as other teams.

I like the experiment of not having morning skates on game days. It's an 82 game season, you practice on off days, why add any unnecessary work to the bodies in a grind like this? There's also the mental health side. Let them relax away from the rink, get the right amount of sleep, etc. Plus, it gives the added benefit of treating your players like adults and professionals and in turn they trust the coach more. I know the team is young, but there's enough hard working veterans in the room to keep guys in line if they're going out too much.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I'm sure the biological clocks of athletes are pretty wacky. They ramp to insane levels at 7 - 10pm. Probably can't sleep until 1 to 2 on a typical day.

The only thing worth noting here is that with such a young roster, you might like a little more structure, but so long as the guys are accountable to each other that's what is most important.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
That's right! I totally forgot about the whole morning skate situation in Columbus! That makes much more sense to me now.

Also, didn't mean to give you guys a scare or try to make Jones look bad! He's one of my favorite youngsters in the NHL (along with Werenski) and was just curious! Thanks for the answers rather than bashing me haha.

I wish you guys nothing but the worst tonight though :)

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Eh I think it depends on the player. I have buddies at OSU that said they would see Johansen out pretty late on campus but it doesn't worry me. They are kids and they can do whatever they want to really, unless it effects their on ice play.

Probably would have pissed me off if this post was made last season, but now I love the Jones trade. Jones is turning into/ is a great d man, aJohansen can't seem to find that next level (hoping he signs as a UFA wouldn't that be funny ;) ) but call me a homer I love the fact that Jones is an American too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad