Pre-Game Talk: Series Talk - Western Quarterfinal vs. St. Louis (Shaw suspended for game 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
If we're being realistic, Blues in 6.

If we're being optimistic, Hawks in 7.

No self-respecting real Hawks fan could make this type of statement.

has it been a "great" season? No

But this hawks team is built for the PO's and they could easily handle the Blues and everyone else in their way.

The fun thing is if they don't they will still be the odds on favorite next year.

Great time to be a hawk fan and I should know, have been one for 40+ years!

BRING ON THE BLUES!!!!!

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I wish I was confident. I don't love this matchup. 2 being out first game is a big deal.

I absolutely hate the Hawks D right now. If Crow isn't lights out, I see STL winning. That's not being pessimistic, it's just looking at reality and gut feeling.

Toews has been good of late but someone besides 72 and 88 has to score a damn goal every now and then

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
No self-respecting real Hawks fan could make this type of statement.

has it been a "great" season? No

But this hawks team is built for the PO's and they could easily handle the Blues and everyone else in their way.

The fun thing is if they don't they will still be the odds on favorite next year.

Great time to be a hawk fan and I should know, have been one for 40+ years!

BRING ON THE BLUES!!!!!

Why not? It's completely realistic. The Blues are a very good team. The Hawks are but not as 'built for the playoffs' as you think. They lack depth at the blue line. The goalie, who has carried the team all season, is coming off a head injury and looked shaky.

I don't even know what the 'self-respecting' thing even means. The same team doesn't win it every year. The reality is that the Hawks will out likely not win it all That's just the reality of today's NHL

Being realistic is acknowledging the matchups. It's about acknowledging the strengths AND the weaknesses. Frankly, I think the defensive issues - the biggest weakness on this team - will be amplified in the post season and will be the reason the Hawks don't buck trend and repeat.

Wish I was wrong but just acknowledging reality. Teams that are 'built for the post season, aren't sending out TVR as their #4 blue liner

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Knowing Q we may not see CE in the po's barring an injury, we'll see.

Yes, CE wasn't very good last night but Q has not given him enough ice time. I get that Ehrhoff will be a depth guy in the post season but he has been set up to fail. If it weren't for Crawford's injury, Darling would have been ill prepared as well, and Weise has been sitting too much also. These are the type of decisions that drive me nuts

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Why not? It's completely realistic. The Blues are a very good team. The Hawks are but not as 'built for the playoffs' as you think. They lack depth at the blue line. The goalie, who has carried the team all season, is coming off a head injury and looked shaky.

I don't even know what the 'self-respecting' thing even means. The same team doesn't win it every year. The reality is that the Hawks will out likely not win it all That's just the reality of today's NHL

Being realistic is acknowledging the matchups. It's about acknowledging the strengths AND the weaknesses. Frankly, I think the defensive issues - the biggest weakness on this team - will be amplified in the post season and will be the reason the Hawks don't buck trend and repeat.

Wish I was wrong but just acknowledging reality. Teams that are 'built for the post season, aren't sending out TVR as their #4 blue liner

The blues manged to "beat" the hawks 3 times this past season when they were just so damn much better than us. Funny thing is they could not do it even ONE TIME in regulation, needed 3 on 3 or SO's to win even a single time in 5 attempts!

Well my friend, THERE IS NO 3 on 3 OT NOW! So I like my hawks chances anywhere where vs this team.

Hell I was hoping it was going to be the blues and am glad it is!

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don't know the numbers in the RS, but it seems to me that the Blues have been very effective in smothering 72/88. I wonder how long it will take before Q is forced to split the two up?

Dam, I hope I'm wrong.

I suppose reuniting Toews to that line may also be an option.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I don't know the numbers in the RS, but it seems to me that the Blues have been very effective in smothering 72/88. I wonder how long it will take before Q is forced to split the two up?

Dam, I hope I'm wrong.

I suppose reuniting Toews to that line may also be an option.

72= 2g/1a

88=2g/ 3a

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Stl is probably ideal to play with our defense. I don't know who scores for them besides Tarasenko. Brouwer is a playoff nobody, as is basically the rest of their forward group. Play LTH against Tarasenko's line, play that to even, and I think the Hawks win the series.

emeyezee

Jul 1, 2015
It's times like these (and many others lol) that I hate living in Missouri. It's quite stressful to proudly wear Hawks stuff but be surrounded by Blues fans.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Stl is probably ideal to play with our defense. I don't know who scores for them besides Tarasenko. Brouwer is a playoff nobody, as is basically the rest of their forward group. Play LTH against Tarasenko's line, play that to even, and I think the Hawks win the series.
I'd even be comfortable with playing Ladd-AA-Hossa against Tarasenko and letting Panarin-Toews-Kane torch whoever they decide to play against them. The Blues' biggest weakness in comparison to us is that they can't match our high-end talent. If our best players are our best players, we'll win the series. It's how we wound up beating them last time too.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Our second line is MILES better than anything we've had in recent years. Our toughest series in this run have been when Toews' line gets "cancelled out" and Handzus or whoever dragged down Kane. (Detroit 2013, Kings 2014, Ducks series for a while last year, etc.).

This year the second line can't really be silenced that easily. So if the rest of the roster plays at parity to the last few cup runs we should be fine.

Remember that the second line center in 2014 against the blues was BEN SMITH for large chunks of the series, and Bickell was on the top line.

The Blues are better than in 2014, but as long as Crawford/Elliott play to historical norms, and our bottom 3 D don't have an epic meltdown, we should be better positioned against them this year than in 2014.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

People can say what they like about Oduya but the Hawks blue line is significantly deeper than last spring. Heck, the entire team is deeper.

Obviously Oduya is better than TVR but depth wise the Hawks are in a better position... At least we have depth going into the payoffs.... Remember last spring when the Hawks basically won with only 4 defensemen?

Of course our top 4 will get the majority of the workload, however at least we have have a few guys that can step in and take some of the load off...

The playoffs are a sprint not a race so our depth will be extremely important.

PrairieDayz

Mar 22, 2015
Dallas
Missed the Hawks CBJ game last nite...

Followed the line score at the Stars game and when the Blues' loss was going to be in the bag, the sellout crowd went nuts....Stars will run deep in playoffs but not so confident about my hometown faves, the Hawks....was Crawford as bad as some posts claim?...he looked very somber in post gamer...Hawks again can't hold a lead...and if Crows not sharp, short playoff run for Hawks....watch for Blues to crash the nets to disable Crow...but what the hay, Hawks in 6....why not...

emeyezee

Jul 1, 2015
Remember that the second line center in 2014 against the blues was BEN SMITH for large chunks of the series, and Bickell was on the top line.

Smith had a huge goal in game 5 on the road, though. He's definitely a second line center ;)

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Followed the line score at the Stars game and when the Blues' loss was going to be in the bag, the sellout crowd went nuts....Stars will run deep in playoffs but not so confident about my hometown faves, the Hawks....was Crawford as bad as some posts claim?...he looked very somber in post gamer...Hawks again can't hold a lead...and if Crows not sharp, short playoff run for Hawks....watch for Blues to crash the nets to disable Crow...but what the hay, Hawks in 6....why not...

Crawford is always like that. Except at Stanley Cup parades.

It's cute how confident Stars fans are lately after their one good regular season. But we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad