Pre-Game Talk: Series Preview: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I feel like Zacha is built for the playoffs.
I think the same story from the regular season holds true.

Needs to be assertive. He has all the tools, I love his willingness to back check, in general plays a very good defensive game, but he can at times defer too much to his team mates. Or like that back neutral zone pass, be a little nonchalant.

Hopefully the playoffs encourage him to step his game up, it could be the spark which helps him take that next step.

DevilSaint

Mar 22, 2018
Down South
So amped for this game. Haven't been able to focus at work all morning! (been here for 2 hours already). Glad I run the dept...lol

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
While I do agree to an extent, the devils have beaten a bunch of good teams and it wasn't with their team defense. I don't think they are good enough to be conservative, chip it out, and start over.

I think in the end we only win if we push them on their heals at times and that's where severson can help. I understand the benching, but I'm concerned that Lovejoy is not capable of being the rock back there he needs to be to cancel out the lack of transition.

I think to win as underdogs we need to be smart but aggressive. Severson is a gamble but Lovejoy has his own struggles back there that keep the play alive in our end . That or he makes a play that brings the offense right back in. Tough decision . Personally I'm taking the more aggressive approach as the underdog with a team that I don't think can bunker in and win.
We do lack top end defenders, but Greene is the epitome of a team defense defender. Vat's is certainly capable in his own end. Lovejoy is a old school defense first d-man.

Also should be noted, and perhaps more importantly, that our forwards do a great job getting back on D. I mean Nico, Zacha, Zajac are all good to very good defensively. The Zajac line is turning into an legit shut down line. Hall, Grab's Boyle Gibbons. It's an underrated aspect of our fwds.

We certainly like to push the puck, we want to play fast, and yeah, maybe our d-men as a group pale in comparison to some other teams. But team defense? I think we are pretty good in that regard.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
My fear is a couple of our defensemen, especially Moore and a few others. Watching Pitt last night play defense of the slot area was pretty impressive, especially in the first period. That’s what we need to do. Cover the slot area and not backup to much and allow shots from the dot. Good luck guys. You earned this chance.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Woah, game two is actually on ****ing channel 4?

Wow, guess this is what happens when the boys play exciting hockey for a change. :sarcasm:
Having a Hart Trophy candidate and #1 overall rookie certainly helps.

Hope the young hockey fans around NJ are planning their Saturday afternoon around this game.

Unfortunately I work till 6 on Saturday, so this 3 O'clock does not work in my favor.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
This team finished five points off the 2011-12 team despite all the adversity from the end of December through mid-February.

Anything can happen.

Why the f*** not?

With that said I expect Tampa to elevate their game from what we saw from them in three regular season meetings. If they don't, then I have a great feeling about this series.

Devils in 6; handshake line in Newark. I want to believe.

Reactions: Bleedred

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
its reminding me of 1994-1995... and i think they are gonna actually come out and dominate a series or two.. i think we are gonna crap all over TB

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
i just feel good about the playoffs for this team... can't say why

its reminding me of 1994-1995... and i think they are gonna actually come out and dominate a series or two.. i think we are gonna crap all over TB

When you're playing exclusively with house money and you've been dealt a good hand, time to go all in.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
We do lack top end defenders, but Greene is the epitome of a team defense defender. Vat's is certainly capable in his own end. Lovejoy is a old school defense first d-man.

Also should be noted, and perhaps more importantly, that our forwards do a great job getting back on D. I mean Nico, Zacha, Zajac are all good to very good defensively. The Zajac line is turning into an legit shut down line. Hall, Grab's Boyle Gibbons. It's an underrated aspect of our fwds.

We certainly like to push the puck, we want to play fast, and yeah, maybe our d-men as a group pale in comparison to some other teams. But team defense? I think we are pretty good in that regard.

What I really meant is that we aren't built to bar the door shut for 7 games. I don't think altering what we did during the regular season is going to help us in this series. If our transition game and speed are changed to protect the D zone I don't think we are good enough to survive.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I remember Pens' fans saying that Lovejoy elevated his game come playoff time for them. That better be true for us too aha

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia