Serie A 2017/18

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
We can take that up in the closed politics forum if you want.

Based on...? Me being an atheist? LOL.
I was here the whole war, with my entire family. We lost relatives, we lost houses, we had to move.
Doesn't mean that 25 years later I have to live in some bulls*it world filled with resentment and anger, driven by fear of a made-up enemy and hate for anything and anyone that's different.
And you're proving part of my point with that sentence, religion ties in very closely with nationalism.
So religion and nationalism are both bad I see. Yup heard plenty of this garbage during the 80s. I am a proud Catholic who loves his country so I completely understand where your coming from.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
So religion and nationalism are both bad I see. Yup heard plenty of this garbage during the 80s. I am a proud Catholic who loves his country so I completely understand where your coming from.

Organized religion in my country goes hand in hand with right-wing (extremist) nationalism (and in other countries, lets not deny it).
I don't see anything good about nationalism in today's world, no.
I've lived through a war (here, in Croatia, with all my family and relatives) and I daily watch people consumed by hate ruin their lives and unable to enjoy life because of it, 25 years on - and whats worse, most of these weren't actually in the war, they're just fed hate on second hand accounts. Imaginary enemies, assigning blame for everything wrong in their lives to others, etc.

One is to be proud of your country, you don't have to go all right wing about it to be proud. Shockingly, you can be a liberal and love your country without hating on others or abusing human rights.
I want my country to be a bastion of human rights and to prosper economically.

Now, back to topic...
Most, if not all hooligans and ultras, are tied to right wing groups, which in turn are supported by the church. It's not a secret, it's not a mystery.
A lot of the hooligans and ultras, especially among the leaders, are petty criminals, or worse. It's not a secret, it's not a mystery. I mean, I know some of them lol...
As a rule, footballers are less educated and informed. Surrounded by more uneducated and credulous people.

All I was trying to do is to describe circumstances in which a young, uninformed footballer would get carried away by all that.
I'm not excusing Buffon, but just giving a possible explanation why he acted the way he did.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Yeah, nationalism we are seeing in Croatia right now is definitely bad. As for the Church, there are two kinds of believers, those who don't burden others with their beliefs and those who think everyone should bend to their view of the world. The funniest part being that the second group features one of the worst examples of crooks there is.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Organized religion in my country goes hand in hand with right-wing (extremist) nationalism (and in other countries, lets not deny it).
I've lived through a war (here, in Croatia, with all my family and relatives) and I daily watch people consumed by hate ruin their lives and unable to enjoy life because of it, 25 years on - and whats worse, most of these weren't actually in the war, they're just fed hate on second hand accounts. Imaginary enemies, assigning blame for everything wrong in their lives to others, etc.

One is to be proud of your country, you don't have to go all right wing about it to be proud. Shockingly, you can be a liberal and love your country without hating on others or abusing human rights.

Now, back to topic...
Most, if not all hooligans and ultras, are tied to right wing groups, which in turn are supported by the church. It's not a secret, it's not a mystery.
A lot of the hooligans and ultras, especially among the leaders, are petty criminals, or worse. It's not a secret, it's not a mystery. I mean, I know some of them lol...
As a rule, footballers are less educated and informed. Surrounded by more uneducated and credulous people.

All I was trying to do is to describe circumstances in which a young, uninformed footballer would get carried away by all that.
I'm not excusing Buffon, but just giving a possible explanation why he acted the way he did.

do you have source that hooligans and ultras is supported by the catholic church?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
do you have source that hooligans and ultras is supported by the catholic church?

I did not say that, nor did I imply it.
I said they are tied to right wing groups and parties, which in turn are supported by the church. Catholic church is VERY active in the political life in Croatia, and they're trying hard to be even more involved through different means.
I can't remember when a priest said something about spirituality or the like in public here, its all "homosexuals", "abortion", "Serbs" and some sort of nazi-puppet NDH state apologism.
Right this moment we have a few church-proxy parties trying to push through a referendum which in theory is about "preferential votes", but in practice is about lowering the threshold of votes needed to enter to the parliament (suiting smaller, "loony" parties) and would heavily limit the political rights of minorities (which is unconstitutional and hopefully will not pass).
It's not a healthy atmosphere in which you'd wanna raise your kids. Different freedoms and equalities are slowly becoming at risk. Democracy is hard work and needs to be preserved continually.

Source about the ultras?
Any serious journalistic piece about ultras in these parts, common sense and personal experience (its hard NOT to meet your neighborhood "top" ultras over the years, be it friendly circumstances or not).
Ofc I don't expect my personal experience to be a valid argument, so here's a link to an article, dozens of them readily available by googling:
Balkans' political football keeps hooligans close to heart of power

That's the last I'll say anything on this in this thread, its derailed enough already, can go on in the Politics forum if needed.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Yeah, nationalism we are seeing in Croatia right now is definitely bad. As for the Church, there are two kinds of believers, those who don't burden others with their beliefs and those who think everyone should bend to their view of the world. The funniest part being that the second group features one of the worst examples of crooks there is.
There are crooks in every walk of life. No need to bash the Catholic faith like Corto is doing in this thread.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

Now, back to topic...

Your obviously leftist liberal spreading your propaganda over here. Go do you Catholic bashing someplace else.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
There's nothing wrong with that, I'd wear that as a badge of honor in fact.

Let's end the politics at that.
You can be whatever you want i don't care just don't come here and spread your bull crap propaganda over here about the Catholic church. As a mod you should not be allowing this.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't enforce religious laws, but I also don't often go back to delete things that have already been said about those subjects. No more politics.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
If you guys want to talk about politics, there's a forum for it.

No kidding. This thread has gone wayyy off the rails.

Back to soccer; average attendance actually went up a decent amount this season and is the highest it's been since the 09/10 campaign. Maybe the league is on the upswing again after several underwhelming years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad