Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I've never seen such a previously universally loved player in Bob be dismissed as quick as some of our fans on here. I mean, I get it, the Price contract is a poison pill and a bad deal for Montreal. But I would have expected the fanbase here to be close to 50/50 with what he has proven here and how he has won two Vezina's and got our first playoff wins as the backbone of the team, when in reality there is like 4-5 people who would be open to keeping Bob. It's shocking.

And I'm not saying the people want to move on are wrong, but I am just surprised its almost unanimous that the base here is ready to go with Joonas Korpisalo/Elvis Merzlikins so quickly when they've proven little/nothing in the NHL.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What MAJOR "individual" trophy in the NHL is affected the most by a winners entire team/teammates?

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
@CBJWennberg10 I've advocated for years now to give Korpisalo more regular starts so he continues to build his confidence, as I think he can carry more of the load than Torts and company let him.

I rather sign Pekka Rinne to a 3 year 18 million deal next summer with Elvis as his backup than give Bob 8 years at any price, especially a $9-10M average.

This Bob contract situation really is a no-win scenario for us.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Not many people are fans of repeating the horrible mistake that Montreal made with Price. Same with the rangers and Hank. 10 million per season at the goalie position for one starter , is just asinine . Even at his current salary it’s pretty dicey , based off his playoff performances . So. I’m not suprised in the slightest , although I’ve been saying for the last 2 years Bob wouldn’t be re signed . Teams that want to keep their core together , especially a team where the core’s average age is 23 , are never going to spend 10-11 mill on a starting goalie , that will be on the other side of 30 when the next contract starts .

Reactions: CBJFan827

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Did you mean "Art Ross"? Because the 'Hart' is supposed to be for the "most valuable player". Most valuable TO a team.

Almost all of them? Bobrovsky won the Vezina on a playoff-less CBJ squad in the lockout year.

Way to ( as usual) NOT answer the question. Affected the most.

All that means (Bobrovsky Vezina on a "playoff-less" team) is that they didn't allow many goals OR score many goals. How bout this theory...they didn't make the playoffs because they didn't score enough goals by playing overly defensive hockey which allowed Bobrovsky to have very good numbers.

Its better than your theory that the team is barely borderline and Bobrovsky is the only thing that keeps them "respectable" (if you have low standards, right?) or was SO GOOD in spite of the team that he can win a Vezina.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Did you mean "Art Ross"? Because the 'Hart' is supposed to be for the "most valuable player". Most valuable TO a team.

All that means (Bobrovsky Vezina on a "playoff-less" team) is that they didn't allow many goals OR score many goals. How bout this theory...they didn't make the playoffs because they didn't score enough goals by playing overly defensive hockey which allowed Bobrovsky to have very good numbers.

Its better than your theory that the team is barely borderline and Bobrovsky is the only thing that keeps them "respectable" (if you have low standards, right?) or was SO GOOD in spite of the team that he can win a Vezina.
This is a theory?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Kevin Woodley from Ingoal Mag was on TSN radio yesterday and said "talking with people that know Bob and around him" he really expect him to go to test the market on July 1st.

So, no bother, Bus and BreadMan, Bob won't take your money. :D

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The Bob/Panarin contracts have the potential to create a huge negative synergy as time goes on. It's going to be a very difficult test for management to minimize the effects of this ongoing situation.

To sign/not sign Bob is going to be a brutally difficult decision. Its impact upon the Panarin side of the equation is probably enormous. I hope the offices at Nationwide have a well stocked bar.

It better be. I've said all of this before so I'll keep it short. I'll respect the view that you can't make that long of a commitment with how inconsistent goalies are. I disagree because I think Bob is different, but I can understand it. I can't understand the people that are already saying "sayonara".

Do those folks have any idea what kind of athlete they've been watching? You can say goodbye but you ought to be pulling your hair out about this. It's such a big gamble for the franchise either way.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What MAJOR "individual" trophy in the NHL is affected the most by a winners entire team/teammates?

Aren't you the fella who has been harping on how "safe is death" leads to all kinds of defensive breakdowns, 2v1s, cross-crease passes, etc... (maybe that wasn't you, sorry).

And now you're doing a lead-in to arguing that Bob's success is the product of his teammates.

I see it as we have a near-Hasek level goalie who's numbers are brought down to plain old elite level by the Jackets wild playstyle.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not many people are fans of repeating the horrible mistake that Montreal made with Price. Same with the rangers and Hank.

I don't think Rangers fans think Hank was a mistake. They won, what, 10 playoff series with Hank? And it's too early to tell with Price, though he obviously wouldn't get that deal at this point. The idea that it's crippled Montreal, though, is wrong. They're bad because they don't have elite players to pay, not because they can't afford to pay their elite players. Look at the cap space.

Reactions: Monk

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

I did answer the question. I said all of them. The award you are referring to is the Jennings trophy, Vezina is best goalie. Not least amount of goals against. But since you insist on one trophy, I'll go with Jennings since it requires the whole team.

We've both watched the games. Bobrovsky earned both Vezina's. In 2013 the defense was pretty sorry. In 2016 the team was incredibly young and played very well and he played very well. I can argue he played better this season due to the amount of breakaways and odd man rushes he faced. The regular stats, advanced stats, and the eye test back this up, But once again, you go out of your way to vilify him yet again, and are now resorting to undermining his achievements. Yet if I do that with the team in general, saying they made the playoffs twice as a bubble team due to two unbelievable win streaks, I am wrong about the team and out of line. Your theory kind of goes out the window when, you know, he won the Vezina on a playoff team when they had insane GF and GA. He did it with a decent team, and did it with an above average team.

I can see you and Breadmans point on not paying him. I'm not throwing hot water all over your idea to trade him/let him walk like you are with my opinion that he should be kept if he isn't absurd with his asking price.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Kevin Woodley from Ingoal Mag was on TSN radio yesterday and said "talking with people that know Bob and around him" he really expect him to go to test the market on July 1st.

So, no bother, Bus and BreadMan, Bob won't take your money. :D

Assuming this is true, Jackets are in big trouble after next year. To me this adds urgency to trading Bread. Might as well get the rebuild started sooner than later.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Assuming this is true, Jackets are in big trouble after next year. To me this adds urgency to trading Bread. Might as well get the rebuild started sooner than later.

This is funny to me. If anything from a cup run to a disaster season is possible, then you go for it. Starting a rebuild early is an incredible waste. I mean what's the point here?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I rather sign Pekka Rinne to a 3 year 18 million deal next summer with Elvis as his backup than give Bob 8 years at any price, especially a $9-10M average.

This Bob contract situation really is a no-win scenario for us.

Agree 100% on both.
This team is good when Bob is good. This team is bad when Bob is bad.
But no way do I want to offer him a lifetime contract. But if we don't we're going to be a lottery team for a season or two (especially with Bread).
CBJ have never handled their goalies like other teams - since Marc Denis we've always had a work horse then a guy who sometimes plays on back to back games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The Bread Man

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I don't think Rangers fans think Hank was a mistake. They won, what, 10 playoff series with Hank? And it's too early to tell with Price, though he obviously wouldn't get that deal at this point. The idea that it's crippled Montreal, though, is wrong. They're bad because they don't have elite players to pay, not because they can't afford to pay their elite players. Look at the cap space.
They also have the league's worst GM by a mile, though Vancouver's Benning is always trying to be #1.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Sweet baby Jesus, the amount of odd man rushes and breakaways. Compare to his last Vezina year HL this year was brutal for him. And this is just small part of whole year.

I hope he leaves, to the team that actually can defend, and to fanbase that will appreciate him.

Reactions: major major

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This is funny to me. If anything from a cup run to a disaster season is possible, then you go for it. Starting a rebuild early is an incredible waste. I mean what's the point here?

IF I thought a serious Cup run was in the offing, I see your point. Not seeing that though I'd rather try to maximize the return for Bread, which I believe will be better before the season than at the trade deadline. IF we got a Huberdau or a Kadri ++ or a similar deal now I'm all in.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
IF I thought a serious Cup run was in the offing, I see your point. Not seeing that though I'd rather try to maximize the return for Bread, which I believe will be better before the season than at the trade deadline. IF we got a Huberdau or a Kadri ++ or a similar deal now I'm all in.

I mean, did many people think the Caps were going to have a serious cup run?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I mean, did many people think the Caps were going to have a serious cup run?

I'm sure most of their fans did and with Ovi & Co everyone knew they had a solid team, albeit with a checkered playoff past.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Sweet baby Jesus, the amount of odd man rushes and breakaways. Compare to his last Vezina year HL this year was brutal for him. And this is just small part of whole year.

I hope he leaves, to the team that actually can defend, and to fanbase that will appreciate him.

I want to win, that means scoring more goals than your opponent, not just preventing SOG.

If Bob leaves I hope he gets paid. He deserves it. More times than not if you pay someone for what they have done, rather than what they will do it doesn't work out. But I'm sure some team will give him 7 years $70M+. I just hope it's not the CBJ.

Reactions: thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad