Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If we were structurally sound, who was in the net would be less important. Since we're not, we need someone to bail us out. I've said before this is a team game and, right now, our record (and 5 on 5 play) is more of a product of Bob's play than playing well in front of him.

In all likelihood we will go into the next deal desperate. We can debate it all we want, but Bob is probably going to have all the leverage and we're probably going to give into his demands.

I hope it works out for us. It's not all the uncommon for teams looking at aging goalies with concern. If you are paying 9 million, you better be sure he's the guy that can take you to the Cup or you have some young kid that can cover for him, if needed, making almost nothing.

The dude is coming up on 30 and he's be 31 when his next deal kicks in.

Fair enough. So what would be your strategy. Don't have to name players just the strategy of how to construct the team moving forward without Bob.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Desperation is a great look for any franchise. You realize you repeated what I've already said right? As far as Korp, you aren't going to see anything if you sit him after "bad" games and overwork Bob. It's crappy asset management and could have contributed to Bob's sub-par play in the playoffs last season.

As far as "patting myself on the back" I was illustrating our less-than-stellar asset management decisions and questionable scouting. That feeds right into what we're doing on the goal tending front. We should be planning for the day that Bob starts declining, he is 30 after all. We're no closer to having a backup or replacement for Bob than when he signed the contract. If we continue down this path, we are going to lose more players because of signing questionable deals and not evaluating our own players properly. As a franchise, I don't think we make terrible good decisions. I have no idea what Korp's ceiling is, but it's higher than we our fan base that posts here thinks it is.
I wouldn’t call re-signing a multi-Vezina winner that WE KNOW can get us to the playoffs when a better option has not presented itself desperation. It’s not even making the best of a bad situation. Because it’s not a bad thing. It works. Will I hate the money or term of the contract? Yeah probably. But I can say that about most contracts that are signed (usually with regards to term). But the man is a stellar goalie. He has had 2 poor outings in the post-season with us. (I give zero craps about what happened back in Philly because he has reinvented his game since coming here and working with Ian Clark. Which, by the way, shows that he can improve himself). I’ve said before that I wouldn’t label anyone anything after only 2 years, be it a choker OR a hero. If it were 5 or 6 years of shitting the bed then maybe I’d be hitting the eject button. I’m not. He knows his weaknesses, he has vowed to work on them. Ok. We’ll see.

He’s going to get the contract he’s going to get. I’m prepared not to like it. If you know of a #1 who is available and cheaper then by all means tell us but they don’t grow on trees. Hey Price is rumored to be avail... oh yeah he makes a ton of money too.

As to the bolded I agree.

I’ve said my piece on Korpi. You disagree. That’s fine. I really don’t know what else there is to say on the subject.

And really I don’t know how else to argue any of this with you. I get where you’re coming from, I just disagree. And that’s cool but I just don’t feel like going around in any more circles on the subject.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
If Sergi Bobrovsky wins his 3rd Vezina Trophy this season, do the brain trust of the Philadelphia Flyers;
A. Go on a month-long bender in Atlantic City
B. Drive to the middle of the Ben Franklin Bridge, stop the car then jump into the Delaware River
C. Go into “revisionist history” mode and just pretend he never played there.​

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
If Sergi Bobrovsky wins his 3rd Vezina Trophy this season, do the brain trust of the Philadelphia Flyers;
A. Go on a month-long bender in Atlantic City
B. Drive to the middle of the Ben Franklin Bridge, stop the car then jump into the Delaware River
C. Go into “revisionist history” mode and just pretend he never played there.​
All distinct possibilities, but I'm going to say D. gorge themselves on Pat's Cheesesteaks until they pass out from a Cheeze Wiz overdose (I was more of a Tony Luke's fan when I lived in Philly back in the 90's, but everyone's heard of Pat's).

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think the quality of defenseman and team defense of the CBJ is quite downplayed when it comes to the idea of Bob being a "multiple Vezina winner". He's a good goalie, and he can be VERY good at times. I've (We've) also seen enough "bad" out of him at very "bad" times, that I question his composure. It might not be as pronounced as when, say, Mason is "rattled" or "not feeling it", until its too late and 3 goals have gone past him in the last 4 minutes or he's looking around frantically wondering how a slow tipped puck trickled in short side with 1:30 left, but there are still definite question marks.

He's been very valuable to the "success" of the team recently. $7-8 million cap hit worth, I really don't know. What I do know is, the way the team has been built, the skill and quality that has been acquired (both O and D), and the subsequent current cap situation the team is in, I do not think his worth to the CBJ is in line with what he should, could, or will get paid on his next contract.

My main 2 factors in feeling this way are, 1st, that Panarin was just brought in to be "the guy". I absolutely expect the team to be willing and planning on paying him $7/8+ mil a yr for a while going forward. My other main factor is Korpisalo. I am VERY BIG on him. I hate that people are so big on guys when they are hot, then low on them when they are cold. Like Bob (and many other goalies) Korpisalo clearly seems to excel when given playing time to establish a rhythm.

At the moment, Bob probably is better overall and gives the team a better chance to win. The question is, going forward is it worth signing Bob to a big contract (that WILL have a big effect on the CBJ cap "structure") or go forward with a very capable young guy in Korisalo, that has proven he can "win games" in this league, along with the 5-7+ million in cap money for the next near future?

I know my answer, and it might be the only real "realistic" option at acquiring and affording that REAL 1C in Tavares or Barkov.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
At the moment, Bob probably is better overall and gives the team a better chance to win. The question is, going forward is it worth signing Bob to a big contract (that WILL have a big effect on the CBJ cap "structure") or go forward with a very capable young guy in Korisalo, that has proven he can "win games" in this league, along with the 5-7+ million in cap money for the next near future?
I think this is an accurate assessment. In my opinion, Bobrovsky is the #1 goalie in the league. Korpisalo, based on play, is probably somewhere between a league average starter and a high-end backup right now. He's young and could grow into something better. You put Korpi on 10-15 teams right now and he probably sees upwards of 50 starts.

But the question is - do we shell out for a player who is the best at his position (and that position is goalie) or do we go with someone we deem to be capable and use the money elsewhere?

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I'm an eternal optimist. I couldn't agree with your lead statement any more, Bus. In fact, I think we are going to get to late February and this team will be humming and winning games 6-1 while giving up 18 shots per game. I think the defense is just that good, and going to get better. In fact, the Hockey News agrees with you Bus. A recent edition was devoted to team defense and ranked the D-core of every team. CBJ was 5th. Nashville was 1st, followed by Calgary, Carolina, and Anaheim. There was a multi-page spread featuring Jones and Werenski.

So to bring this back to Bob (it is his thread after all). This is the year he delivers in the playoffs, thanks to stellar, solid defense played in front of him. He will not have to stop a shot that is never taken.

Reactions: Lumbus

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think the quality of defenseman and team defense of the CBJ is quite downplayed when it comes to the idea of Bob being a "multiple Vezina winner". He's a good goalie, and he can be VERY good at times. I've (We've) also seen enough "bad" out of him at very "bad" times, that I question his composure. It might not be as pronounced as when, say, Mason is "rattled" or "not feeling it", until its too late and 3 goals have gone past him in the last 4 minutes or he's looking around frantically wondering how a slow tipped puck trickled in short side with 1:30 left, but there are still definite question marks.

He's been very valuable to the "success" of the team recently. $7-8 million cap hit worth, I really don't know. What I do know is, the way the team has been built, the skill and quality that has been acquired (both O and D), and the subsequent current cap situation the team is in, I do not think his worth to the CBJ is in line with what he should, could, or will get paid on his next contract.

My main 2 factors in feeling this way are, 1st, that Panarin was just brought in to be "the guy". I absolutely expect the team to be willing and planning on paying him $7/8+ mil a yr for a while going forward. My other main factor is Korpisalo. I am VERY BIG on him. I hate that people are so big on guys when they are hot, then low on them when they are cold. Like Bob (and many other goalies) Korpisalo clearly seems to excel when given playing time to establish a rhythm.

I know my answer, and it might be the only real "realistic" option at acquiring and affording that REAL 1C in Tavares or Barkov.
Yes, there’s a lot to think about in Bobs next contract, but What I do know is a combo of Barkov with Korpisalo in net will produce fewer wins than having just Bob. Bob’s OT and SO performances are confirmation for me. He’s been our best player AINEC

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yes, there’s a lot to think about in Bobs next contract, but What I do know is a combo of Barkov with Korpisalo in net will produce fewer wins than having just Bob.

I don't know about that.

I mean we could be a little better, a little worse, or be about the same, but at this point I would take Barkov over Bob. Having Barkov would absolutely make up for the difference between Korpisalo and Bob IMO.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I don't know about that.

I mean we could be a little better, a little worse, or be about the same, but at this point I would take Barkov over Bob. Having Barkov would absolutely make up for the difference between Korpisalo and Bob IMO.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

This team wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the Metro without Bobrovsky in net, even if we added a bonafide 1C.

Reactions: Viqsi

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I'm just wondering how are you suppose to use Bobrovsky to get Barkov or Tavares? Trade him? you can't, full NMC, wait when his UFA and let him walk and use those money for Barkov? - can't again, Barkov will be still under contract at that time, and Tavares is signed already.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm just wondering how are you suppose to use Bobrovsky to get Barkov or Tavares? Trade him? you can't, full NMC, wait when his UFA and let him walk and use those money for Barkov? - can't again, Barkov will be still under contract at that time, and Tavares is signed already.
I think his point was another dynamic scorer to go aside Panarin, for a team that struggles to score goals . No way I resign bob unless he takes Similiar money to what he’s making now , and even then , it’s a shorter term contract . Korpi , Elvis, Tarasov are all potential successors . And the more Korpi has played , the better he has looked

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
No way I resign bob unless he takes Similiar money to what he’s making now , and even then , it’s a shorter term contract .
No way i would give Cam a 7 year term but here we are. And goalies last longer, see Rinne, Hank, Crawford, Luongo. and especially those who relies on puck tracking and move less and move less distance style like Bob.
Anyway it's either term or money with him, and you're offering neither. And this team has yet to prove that it can go anywhere without him.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Well, didn't expect to need a 35-save shutout to beat Arizona, but Bob provided it anyway. Another #1 star effort.

:squint:

This was most certainly a "team defense" win.

Bob DID NOT win the game for the CBJ.

:shakehead

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
:squint:

This was most certainly a "team defense" win.

Bob DID NOT win the game for the CBJ.

:shakehead

I'm not saying the D played bad, because I think our transition game is very good, but we repeatedly give up odd man rush after odd man rush or breakaway after breakaway. We're giving up at least one breakaway per game. Bob has stood tall in alot of these. No, he didn't win us this game, but our defense is far from perfect.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yes, Bob is a large part of why we won against Arizona. Which is a good thing, because we were up against a hot goaltender playing very very well in Raanta.

Sometimes the other team gets the benefit of good goaltending as well, y'know.

EDIT: wrong Antti. Whoops.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think you're confusing two Antti here :)
Yep. Sure did. I blame the fact that I just woke up not too long ago.
stupidme2.gif

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'd let him go to another team if that is what he wants. I just don't think it is wise to give him that many years or that much money (even if he is worth it right now).

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Bob/Panarin contracts have the potential to create a huge negative synergy as time goes on. It's going to be a very difficult test for management to minimize the effects of this ongoing situation.

To sign/not sign Bob is going to be a brutally difficult decision. Its impact upon the Panarin side of the equation is probably enormous. I hope the offices at Nationwide have a well stocked bar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad