Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Bad mistake in not locking him up last contract. Losing him and Bread will be a huge step backwards
Well, JK expected him to regress due to injuries and he bet on wrong guys - Fligs and Dubi. But still sucks, those guys got 6 years and Bob only 4. Should have been other way around.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm sure most of their fans did and with Ovi & Co everyone knew they had a solid team, albeit with a checkered playoff past.

I guess I just find the comparison interesting - prior to this season, the Caps were the poster child for disappointing playoff performers. They found regular season success (kinda like the Jackets), but always hit a massive wall in the playoffs (kinda like the Jackets). Now obviously they've been a higher performing team, but I do find parallels there.

There's a reason many predicted the Jackets to beat them in the POs, many of their own fans even... Much the same, there are going to constantly be doubters of the Jackets, regardless of the quality of the team, until the second they win the cup.

I find myself in the "just get into the POs, anything can happen" camp rather than the "we need to rebuild now" camp. There have long been "trade Ovechkin" folks, even fans of the Caps...

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I still think there is a big difference between caps and cbj.

Caps have done a lot in regular season, and over last 10 seasons (before this past season) had won 6 first round series. So more often than not they got in, and won a series, then got beat.

CBJ outside of 2 seasons at go slid into one of final two spots and never advanced out of first round. Three of four times we got in we finished 4th in our division and other time third (so never finished first or second or had home ice).
CBJ on average don't get in and if they did got beat.

I've always believed teams learn from their failures. I hoped this past season would have brought more than it did. This season will be telling. Will we keep the band together to try to make a run or do we break it apart and trade Bread and/or Bob.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Assuming this is true, Jackets are in big trouble after next year. To me this adds urgency to trading Bread. Might as well get the rebuild started sooner than later.

But if we don't we're going to be a lottery team for a season or two (especially with Bread).

A reminder that the team had 108 points, without Panarin and Dubois.

Bobrovsky is THAT important?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Man, I literally just picked the first one that came into my head. You were gonna disagree with whatever I put so what difference did it make?

Art Ross would have been a good answer. Hart, not so much.

Actually, looking at the DIFFERENT responses to my question, 1 could say that the awards/trophies AS A WHOLE, are overrated.

How much of Bob's 1st Vezina was based on the idea that the CBJ were a "bad" team?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I still think there is a big difference between caps and cbj.

Caps have done a lot in regular season, and over last 10 seasons (before this past season) had won 6 first round series. So more often than not they got in, and won a series, then got beat.

CBJ outside of 2 seasons at go slid into one of final two spots and never advanced out of first round. Three of four times we got in we finished 4th in our division and other time third (so never finished first or second or had home ice).
CBJ on average don't get in and if they did got beat.

I've always believed teams learn from their failures. I hoped this past season would have brought more than it did. This season will be telling. Will we keep the band together to try to make a run or do we break it apart and trade Bread and/or Bob.

I think the difference between CBJ and the Caps is primarily Ovechkin. But I do agree there's a difference.

My main point is I think the Jackets are very near to/about on par with where the Caps were at the start of the decade you referenced.

Reactions: thebus88

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
A reminder that the team had 108 points, without Panarin and Dubois.

Bobrovsky is THAT important?

So how many points did that team with Dubois and Panarin get like 150 ish? :) Bottom line the 108 points was luck. A long winning streak mainly.

Bob is that important. We have no other goalie in the system that is proven winner in the NHL. If he gets traded for two first round picks tomorrow then yes we are a lottery team. The team is supposedly a defensive team, but a defensive team that allows a ton of SOG and is at best an average offensive team. That's not a good combo to win unless you have a really goog goalie.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Sweet baby Jesus, the amount of odd man rushes and breakaways. Compare to his last Vezina year HL this year was brutal for him. And this is just small part of whole year.

I hope he leaves, to the team that actually can defend, and to fanbase that will appreciate him.

Its a highlight video.

You make it seem as if somebody couldn't put together a "playoff Bob" montage.

I hope he goes to a team with a lesser defense than the CBJ and reality is realized.

I member when Wiz was a top-5-10 offensive defenseman. Because of the "numbers"....

We got away from the '--insert player here-- AND the Bluejackets' mindset for a year. That all changed (and it SHOULD have) when Panarin was brought in. He's leaving, and it sucks. It'll be a BIG LOSS/change, not only of the pure skill lost, but because of how DIFFERENT the team/offense will (have to) change.

IMO this loss/change is NOT there when talking about Bob. They shouldn't be seen as the same thing.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Aren't you the fella who has been harping on how "safe is death" leads to all kinds of defensive breakdowns, 2v1s, cross-crease passes, etc... (maybe that wasn't you, sorry).

And now you're doing a lead-in to arguing that Bob's success is the product of his teammates.

I see it as we have a near-Hasek level goalie who's numbers are brought down to plain old elite level by the Jackets wild playstyle.

What I harp on is that we have people who claim that Torts and the coaching staff are holding back the offense because of their "tactics" and approved offensive play style. THEN we also have people like you who claim that its the "open" game that they employ that negatively affects Bobrovsky's numbers. Some, somehow, share BOTH ideas.

So which is it?

I've tried to explain that these "tactics" vary during the course of the year, based on ALL DIFFERENT TYPES OF *cough* *cough* VARIABLES.

I believe that the team helps Bob more than Bob helps the team. Especially NOW more so than 3-4 years ago.

This isn't the 98/99 Sabres, and you acknowledge that more than many people here.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Contract managent is not one of JK's strengths...actually its his worst

Probably doesn't help that he is the manager in a city like Columbus, right?

Do you people really NOT remember what the organizational depth chart USED to look like before Jarmo and JD?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I will try and have that be the first thing that pops into my head next time.

Ok, just letting you know that I wasn't gonna disagree with you "no matter what" like you claimed.

I think my "point" was proven by the other responses. The Vezina and the other "awards" are overrated. Also, many times, the winners aren't necessarily the "right" choice.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ok, just letting you know that I wasn't gonna disagree with you "no matter what" like you claimed.

I think my "point" was proven by the other responses. The Vezina and the other "awards" are overrated. Also, many times, the winners aren't necessarily the "right" choice.

And the marginalizing of accomplishments continues. I bet if Jones won the Norris things would be way different since he's one of your guys.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Perhaps awards are overrated in some respects, but the idea that "I" know better than this group of people who make those determinations is very "sports radio hot take."

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Probably doesn't help that he is the manager in a city like Columbus, right?

Do you people really NOT remember what the organizational depth chart USED to look like before Jarmo and JD?
I have no problem with Jarmos contract management , lately he has been excellent in nearly every player resigned . Most teams realize that most players physical skills diminish on the other side of 30, so when Bobs contract was up , based on the make up of the current core , it would be time to go to Korpi/ Elvis / Tarasov , or do a stop gap. He’s probably in the mindset of most gms that don’t want to tie up 10-11 mill on one goalie .

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Bottom line the 108 points was luck. A long winning streak mainly.

Bob is that important. We have no other goalie in the system that is proven winner in the NHL. If he gets traded for two first round picks tomorrow then yes we are a lottery team. The team is supposedly a defensive team, but a defensive team that allows a ton of SOG and is at best an average offensive team. That's not a good combo to win unless you have a really goog goalie.

We fundamentally disagree where this team is at currently and how much Bob impacts that. 20 games won (win streak) is still only 40 points.

How in the world could we HAVE a "proven winner" in the NHL. The ONLY time Korpisalo was "given" the net for an "extended period", he played extremely well. This was 2 years ago, he didn't get worse. Just because the CBJ have never had a "successful" young goalie transition doesn't mean this same type of situation hasn't happened a lot before. Look at TB with Vaselievsky and multiple-Vezina nominated Ben Bishop. And people should be able to SEE the difference between Korpisalo and a guy like Mason. But then again, remember what SOME people were saying about him. "Numbers" don't lie, right?

I don't think you should consider the CBJ an "offensive team" OR a "defensive team". What THEY ARE, is an all-around team, with good depth, with a unanimously top-10 defense than could be considered top-5. Nobody is saying Bob ISNT good, just that they don't think he's worth to the CBJ (or should be paid) what he could be worth (or paid) on another team.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Agreed. And I'm not ruling out Dubois yet either. Or Wennberg, for that matter. Or [insert young player here].
Bjorkstrand still has that potential too imo

Not to mention that guy this whole thread is about.

Reactions: Monk

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
We fundamentally disagree where this team is at currently and how much Bob impacts that. 20 games won (win streak) is still only 40 points.
82 games 108 points
66 games 76 points - once you take out the 16 game win streak.

Those 66 games extended over 82 is 96 points. Or basically what they did in 2017-18 (97 points).

That's my point what we have outside of a lucky winning streak is a 96-97 point team (which is good but not going to get home ice). Take Bob out of that it's mid 80s IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad