Seravalli: Seravalli- Canucks had multiple major offers for JT Miller in January- "Very good chance it happens this summer instead"

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I got to laugh at anyone who thinks a 1 year rental is worth 2 years of Nylander, or many controlled years of Newhook.

The idea of Toronto or Colorado actually adding is absurd. Sakic in particular would hang up the phone and throw Vancouver on the blocked list.

Vancouver will get a ransom, no doubt. I think the Newhook/Nylander types of returns would have been more realistic in January, when you would still get two runs with JT. Maybe a better package will be available from a team that would actually want to re sign him, don't think Colorado or Toronto are those teams.
What about the one who said he’d, “be ok with” Newhook, Bryam, and a 1st. TF?? 2 blue chippers and a 1st. This isn’t Chris Pronger. Lmao

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Why do so many people keep referring to Miller as a “rental”? Since when are players traded in the offseason with a year left on their contract equated to that of an actual “rental” player at the deadline? For many teams, acquiring Miller at the draft could mean the difference between that team being in the playoff mix come the deadline or being on the outside looking in. He basically dragged a terrible first half team into respectability this season.

Depends on the team he's going to. If it's a team with contract and/or cap issues for the 23-24 season, then rental could very well fit. I know back in 2015, many Kings fans questioned the Lucic trade, in part because he was very likely only going to be around for 1 year. Called him a rental from the day of the trade.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Depends on the team he's going to. If it's a team with contract and/or cap issues for the 23-24 season, then rental could very well fit. I know back in 2015, many Kings fans questioned the Lucic trade, in part because he was very likely only going to be around for 1 year. Called him a rental from the day of the trade.

And that rental in Lucic landed the Bruins 2 1sts, a young defenseman and another player that played almost 300 games for them. My point is that people saying Miller is just a “rental” and will only fetch accordingly, are out to lunch.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
And that rental in Lucic landed the Bruins 2 1sts, a young defenseman and another player that played almost 300 games for them. My point is that people saying Miller is just a “rental” and will only fetch accordingly, are out to lunch.

We're not talking prime assets though. The mid-1st from the Kings could've been an exceptional pick, but that's on the Bruins. Miller was likely never going to be more than a depth d-man. The pick from SJ was in 2016, not 2015, and it turned out to be a very late 1st in 2016 because SJ was still good(the same could not be said of a future pick sent to Ottawa for Karlsson). Kuraly, again, was likely never going to be more than a depth guy.

In the abstract, that sounds like a great get. Fill in the details, and it's a 4th line F(originally a 5th rd pick), a bottom pair D(originally a 5th rd pick), and mid and late 1st rd picks(which haven't turned into much, but you can't really judge traded picks based on unknowns).

However, Lucic had one of his worst years as a Bruin before he got traded. Miller, on the other hand, just had his best career season, and finished 9th overall in scoring. Miller isn't a deadline rental, but he's also not signed for 3 more years at a great hit either. He should get more than Lucic, but likely not franchise altering value.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
A poll involving the largest fanbase on this board? Seems unbiased and in good faith.
And one designed to get the response they wanted, so it was based on years of control. If Miller gets traded, it's highly likely that there is an extension involved, making that poll absolutely meaningless.

If you were to make a poll on strictly player effectiveness, Miller wins by a landslide. A 1-dimensional player, vs a multi-dimensional one... that is also superior at that 1 dimension

Last edited:
Reactions: Cogburn

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I would assume a Miller deal would look something like:

- a young (25 or under) roster player
- a prospect (preferably an RD)
- a pick (likely a 1st, but depends on quality of player/prospect)

Do you think LA can put together a solid package that resembles my imaginary criteria?
Listen you act like he's gonna be a rental here................you would think that wherever he is going is going to have a contract negotiated with him before they trade for him. He's not gonna be a rental for any team that trades for him this summer.

I would take Faber, a first and a decent 3rd line roster player. That's about his value although Vancouver fans will probably want Turcotte as well which would be pretty steep imo (and I would take however I think we will only get one top end prospect plus a pick and a roster player - that makes the most sense to me).
The 25-or-under roster player, especially if it's a forward, is probably going to be tough. The options are basically Lizotte, Andersson, or Grundstrom. We could extend that out to guys like Vilardi, Turcotte, or Kupari, but if the package is something like Turcotte and Faber, I don't think LA's first (or really any pick at all) would be included. That's a pretty great package for one year of JT Miller.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
From what management has been saying, they are interested in competing sooner rather than later, so it wouldn't surprise me if the pick wasn't as important. We could really use an RD, and management has also said they wanted to add "sandpaper". Grundstrom and Faber sounds like a good fit for Van. Maybe something around that would work.

I'm also certain that any team trading for Miller, speaks to him first and works out an extension.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Should have traded him at the deadline... This mgmt group is as clueless as the last group

And lol at "competing sooner rather than later" just lol

Reactions: common12

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Why does Nylander's name keep getting kicked around? Regardless of what the value is, the Canucks don't need Nylander. It's a non-starter.

Canucks needs...

- Young top 4 RD
- Prospects, particularly at center and D
- Picks
- Solid 3C
- Cap relief (meaning taking Dickinson, Poolman or OEL's contracts off our hands)

That's what the Canucks need. Make your offers.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Why does Nylander's name keep getting kicked around? Regardless of what the value is, the Canucks don't need Nylander. It's a non-starter.

Canucks needs...

- Young top 4 RD
- Prospects, particularly at center and D
- Picks
- Solid 3C
- Cap relief (meaning taking Dickinson, Poolman or OEL's contracts off our hands)

That's what the Canucks need. Make your offers.
Can add Myers to the mix too…

Reactions: nergish

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Eh, he only has 2 years left and he's not terrible. Just overpaid by about 2 mill. If we have to treat him like a cap dump I'd rather just keep him until the contract is over. I think someone might bite on him at the deadline though.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I dont follow the team closely but something doesnt add up here.

On one hand we have Seravalli saying they had offers on the table (but didnt pull the trigger) indicating they weren't getting the value they need.

On the other hand we have Friedman saying the offers will be too good to pass on.

So Im left wondering what has changed since January - where the offers weren't good enough - and now where offers are too good to pass up?

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010

On one hand we have Seravalli saying they had offers on the table (but didnt pull the trigger) indicating they weren't getting the value they need.

On the other hand we have Friedman saying the offers will be too good to pass on.

So Im left wondering what has changed since January - where the offers weren't good enough - and now where offers are too good to pass up?
More teams with a lot more flexibility in the off-season driving up the price would be the logical guess.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Cap space is king and a lot of teams will have it in the offseason. Plus they can move pieces off their roster without have potential replacements for them. That is especially important for contenders

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

teams mid season needed retention and Vancouver take back saLarry. Vancouver ask was higher As if team was going to resign him.

teams didn’t mind him as a 1+ yr rental at 50% but Vancouver likely asked for the moon

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
More teams with a lot more flexibility in the off-season driving up the price would be the logical guess.

Cap space is king and a lot of teams will have it in the offseason. Plus they can move pieces off their roster without have potential replacements for them. That is especially important for contenders

teams mid season needed retention and Vancouver take back saLarry. Vancouver ask was higher As if team was going to resign him.

teams didn’t mind him as a 1+ yr rental at 50% but Vancouver likely asked for the moon

Sure. But on the other hand teams would be acquiring him for one playoff run instead of two. I’d give up less this summer than I would have at the TDL.

To some extent (I’m not sure what extent exactly)50% less playoff runs cancels out with a larger base of suitors.

Colour me skeptical of this all.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Sure. But on the other hand teams would be acquiring him for one playoff run instead of two.
You know there is the thing called resigning a player. Seems like a lot of people seem to have never heard of that before

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
You know there is the thing called resigning a player. Seems like a lot of people seem to have never heard of that before
We can speculate for days about what miller with an extension is worth but just cause he can be theoretically resigned doesn’t mean he will be traded with extension/resigned by the acquiring team.

We could speculate what Hughes is worth after a 100 point season but until he does it, what’s the point?

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
A poll involving the largest fanbase on this board? Seems unbiased and in good faith.
Usually polls involved Leaf players always have them losing. For example, the Pettersson vs Matthews one having Pettersson win just last season.

You can't have it both ways - there are more Leaf haters than there are fans.

Regardless, I agree that an extended JT Miller is more valuable than a Nylander. Miller is better without considering contracts at all - but the gap isn't as big as you make it seem

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Usually polls involved Leaf players always have them losing. For example, the Pettersson vs Matthews one having Pettersson win just last season.

You can't have it both ways - there are more Leaf haters than there are fans.

Regardless, I agree that an extended JT Miller is more valuable than a Nylander. Miller is better without considering contracts at all - but the gap isn't as big as you make it seem
Ah yes, I forgot, the Maple Leafs are the plucky underdogs, akin to the Coyotes, on this site, not the overwhelmingly largest and most vocal fanbase. Everyone unjustly hates the Maple Leafs, it's all it's impossible for anyone just not care about your team, and will do anything to see them fail of they aren't foaming blue and white at the mouth.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Ah yes, I forgot, the Maple Leafs are the plucky underdogs, akin to the Coyotes, on this site, not the overwhelmingly largest and most vocal fanbase. Everyone unjustly hates the Maple Leafs, it's all it's impossible for anyone just not care about your team, and will do anything to see them fail of they aren't foaming blue and white at the mouth.
Everyone loves to dump on the Leafs its quite the hobby for a lot of posters here on hf. I will say though before the Leafs got eliminated this year there were many more people then usual rooting for them that normally wouldn't.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
As an outsider.. JT Miller seems really solid? Why are they wanting to trade this guy??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad