Seravalli: Seravalli- Canucks had multiple major offers for JT Miller in January- "Very good chance it happens this summer instead"

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
On a radio hit with Sportsnet 650 about 15 min ago... FS mentions that Rutherford received multiple major offers for JT Miller in January and that Rutherford was ready to pull the trigger. However, Rutherford decided to tell the suitors to give him until the end of a then Canucks long road trip to further evaluate. He told the teams to connect with him after the trip.

Miller went on a heater, Canucks became competitive and Rutherford decided that the value for Miller then and for Miller in the summer isnt going to change much and that the gains the Canuck core would receive by being a playoff hunt was more important.

FS also mentions the following (paraphrasing)

- Teams will move bodies on their own roster for cap purposes if it means getting in on the Miller sweepstakes this summer
- He wouldnt be shocked if teams offered the same bounty on Miller as they were offering in January
- Canucks can give teams permission to negotiate an extension with Miller before finalizing a trade
- The bidding poole will be massive because Miller will be coveted by teams who want to sign him long term but also ALL-IN teams who may just want him for 1 year.
- Canucks can retain and make Miller at 2.6 AAV which is very very attractive to many teams

On an interview this week, this is what Rutherford said his priorities are just for reference on any Miller offers...

- Create cap space
- Get Younger, target players under 26 yrs old
- Get players with Size and Sandpaper but with skill
- Re-stock the prospect pool and get more draft picks

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Welcome to Colorado.
He would be a great 1 year rental.

But we wouldn't be signing him to an extension so teams that are looking to go that route will offer more.

No chance we move Newhook for a rental for example. 0%.

I think the Avs will be major players for Trocheck or Strome in UFA instead, or a Center with term like Yanni Gourde.

Reactions: Foppberg

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
He would be a great 1 year rental.

But we wouldn't be signing him to an extension so teams that are looking to go that route will offer more.

No chance we move Newhook for a rental for example. 0%.

I think the Avs will be major players for Trocheck or Strome in UFA instead, or a Center with term like Yanni Gourde.

I think it will depend what happens in the playoffs, if AVS cant win a cup i see them big game hunting with Miller more than those other players you mentioned.

Nylander for Miller Trade would be interesting

i guess if the price was right and Toronto adds alot.

Otherwise id rather not trade the biggest trade asset in franchise history for possibly 2 years of Nylander.

Canucks can just trade Miller and for after Forsberg.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think it will depend what happens in the playoffs, if AVS cant win a cup i see them big game hunting with Miller more than those other players you mentioned.

Of course you think that.

This is Joe Sakic we are talking about. The man hasn't overpaid for a player in his entire tenure as GM.

You won't like like return if the Avs end up getting Miller. Newhook will not be involved.

Reactions: CapSpace

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

This is Joe Sakic we are talking about. The man hasn't overpaid for a player in his entire tenure as GM.

You won't like like return if the Avs end up getting Miller. Newhook will not be involved.

I personally think Newhook is a good prospect but not the type of player we are looking for.

We already have skilled guys like Pettersson Horvat, Hoglander, Garland etc...

If trading Miller id much rather trade for a top end Dman prospect or higher 1st round picks than AVS.

I think Miller would be perfect in Colorado but i agree with you, i wouldnt put Colorado on top of the list of possible assets returned.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010

avs fans had been going on about how the canucks would only be able to get a 1st and barron because of sakic etc.. then he gives away a 2nd and barron for pending ufa Lehkonen.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If Aves get to negotiate a new contract Id be ok with taking something like Newhook, Byram and a 1st if we retain a bit on Millers final year, tho Id be hesitant on Byram with his head issues

Tho thered be better deals so Im sure Alvin and JR would keep their ears open to more enticing offers

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So will JR get more, less, or about the same this summer then he was (rumored to be) offered back in January?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
So will JR get more, less, or about the same this summer then he was (rumored to be) offered back in January?

Seravlli is speculating it will be a big price for Miller this summer and more or less same cost as if it was in January because there will be ALL in teams, and long term teams that will want Miller so it will be an auction

apollo18

Oct 20, 2018

thats true, but also going to be the reason they wont win the cup until he dishes out for some high impact rentals

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I got to laugh at anyone who thinks a 1 year rental is worth 2 years of Nylander, or many controlled years of Newhook.

The idea of Toronto or Colorado actually adding is absurd. Sakic in particular would hang up the phone and throw Vancouver on the blocked list.

Vancouver will get a ransom, no doubt. I think the Newhook/Nylander types of returns would have been more realistic in January, when you would still get two runs with JT. Maybe a better package will be available from a team that would actually want to re sign him, don't think Colorado or Toronto are those teams.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Welcome to Colorado.
Disagree and I’m an Avs fan. Avs can’t resign him and someone that can and would will offer more in trade compensation.

Avs don’t have the trade assets to compete.

JT Miller is a hell of a player and some team with designs to resign him will knock Vancouvers socks off.

It’s Boeser that’s going to be traded for what feels like pennies on the dollar.

JT Miller is gonna fetch a big haul.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Nylander for Miller is down right awful, and not an overpayment for Miller. Nylander is younger (a whopping 3 years), but not cheaper, and doesn't add anything the Canucks don't already have, while scoring less, playing less physical. Toronto doesn't have the pieces we'd want, as everyone is a downgrade or more expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad