Pre-Game Talk: SENS @ PENS, Saturday night, 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Elliot Friedman statement today on the Jeff Marek show... "I've been tracking a stat for a number of years.... If you are 4 or more points back as of Nov 1st, you have a 15% chance of making the playoffs"... Yikes!

The number of teams 4 points out at that point is very small and usually rebuilding teams

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If DJ goes Pierre will go with him. I can't see it not being a package deal.
You're probably right. Dorion was never going to last beyond the end of the season anyways, since Andlauer/Staios will want to bring in their own people.

I could see Chirelli in an interim role until they bring in the guy they really want (Darche?).

Reactions: KingAlfie11

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Yes, apologies, I've corrected it...

Here is what EF points out...

"Elliotte Friedman often mentions the Nov. 1 benchmark: Teams four points (or more) out of the playoffs at that point rarely overcome the deficit. Since 2005-06, 46 of 52 teams (88 per cent) that far out on Nov. 1 ended up missing the playoffs."

I quote this not from Marek today but from a more detailed sportsnet article that expands on his premise... "NHL Team Playoff Hopes Start to Die November"
7 games in and the season's already over? I love how it used to be by Thanksgiving, you needed to be in or around at least the wild card to have a chance. Now if you're 4pts out at the 8 game mark, you're f***ed. How small of a sample size will the next stat require before we can pretty much rule out teams from playoff contention?

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
If we lose this, DJ should go.
Why does it all hinge on one game? If the result of this one game is the difference it seems like the decision should already be obvious and it's just delaying the inevitable.

Can easily get someone else to stand behind the bench and roll out the lines tomorrow if the reasoning is that it's the only game between today and next Thursday.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
7 games in and the season's already over? I love how it used to be by Thanksgiving, you needed to be in or around at least the wild card to have a chance. Now if you're 4pts out at the 8 game mark, you're f***ed. How small of a sample size will the next stat require before we can pretty much rule out teams from playoff contention?
Statistics, damned statistics! The great thing about them is they represent likelihoods, not certainties. Big difference between declaring something impossible (not said) and observing that over time the odds are not great (12% in this case) for teams in this position. My hope is they adapt, make changes necessary to right the ship. The season is not over, unless they continue to deepen the hole.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well, we have to put someone on LTIR before we can call anyone up, so maybe that's the holdup?

Does anyone remember when a new day starts for roster moves? I want to say 5pm, if any moves happen would expect it will happen after then.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Call ups after 5pm, don't count towards today, could be that, and maybe waiting until Chabot goes on LTIR. So probably after tonight's game.
If we're putting Chabot on LTIR then whether we call them up now or after 5 doesn't matter for the cap, but maybe if we're calling up someone who was waived the 30 day count is what their worried about?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Does anyone remember when a new day starts for roster moves? I want to say 5pm, if any moves happen would expect it will happen after then.
scroll up one post, from yours.

If we're putting Chabot on LTIR then whether we call them up now or after 5 doesn't matter for the cap, but maybe if we're calling up someone who was waived the 30 day count is what their worried about?
Don't think we've hit the 30 day window yet.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
scroll up one post, from yours.

Don't think we've hit the 30 day window yet.
30 days starts when they are on an NHL team, so if we call them up and they stay on the roster for 30 days. we'll need to waive them again to send them back down. If we call them up today vs tomorrow, that's one day closer.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Elliot Friedman statement today on the Jeff Marek show... "I've been tracking a stat for a number of years.... If you are 4 or more points back as of Nov 1st, you have a 15% chance of making the playoffs"... Yikes!
The season seems like a case of deja-vu. Lots of crappy things happening these days, so I guess no surprise to add the fortunes or misfortune of the team I cheer for to the pile.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Wouldn't be a bad poll to put up here. Incidentally I picked under 6 .. 6-7 might be it
@Pens are a tough one with the recent lost personnel and games Sens Lose
LAK are going to be a tough matchup Sens Lose
TBL are playing better and will have Stamkos back Sens Lose
@TOR Sens Lose
VAN
CAL

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If they lose tonight - just can’t see how you sell this to the fans. Like what do you say at this point if they can’t beat mediocre teams?

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
So is Joseph playing D? Are they going with 11 forwards and 5 d?
Remember to think about the cap before making anxiety riddled posts like this. Obviously they are waiting for today to. Official make their callups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad