Confirmed with Link: Sens name Kurt Kleinendorst head coach of AHL affiliate in Binghamton

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm all for having KK back, but his last year here wasn't exactly a success.

The teams record was worse than this past season under Richardson, and had Hoffman, Locke, Petersson, DaCosta, Parrish, Lehner, Wiercioch, Boro, Gryba,

Everybody remembers the successful season by KK, but forget the failure. Hope this second stint with the team is more like his first season and not like his second.

It all comes down to the players though, doesn't it? Will KK have a good number of players that have the potential to make a very good team? I'm not so sure of that this coming yr, this is one of the few yrs that I can recall where I'm not sure what kind of a team they will have & whether they will be any good.

Wasn't the next yr after KK won a championship the yr a lot of the better players got promoted to the big club? Could be the reason they were not very good that yr. I don't really remember but weren't the guys you mentioned mostly in their first yr? It's a sad thing when you can't remember things as well as you once did but c'est la vie. :shakehead

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It all comes down to the players though, doesn't it? Will KK have a good number of players that have the potential to make a very good team? I'm not so sure of that this coming yr, this is one of the few yrs that I can recall where I'm not sure what kind of a team they will have & whether they will be any good.

Wasn't the next yr after KK won a championship the yr a lot of the better players got promoted to the big club? Could be the reason they were not very good that yr. I don't really remember but weren't the guys you mentioned mostly in their first yr? It's a sad thing when you can't remember things as well as you once did but c'est la vie. :shakehead

Yeah, Bingo lost some good players like Condra, Greening, Buttler and Benoit, but the same can be said about Richardson who lost Petersson, Stone, Hoffman, Wideman, Dacosta, Boro, and Prince.

The point is, we might not want to be so quick to praise KK and blast Richardson. A coach can only go as far as his team can take him. That doesn't excuse the poor decisions Richardson made, but the results were actually pretty similar to what KK achieved when they each had similar quality rosters.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I wouldn't expect Binghamton to be very good this season either.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Bottom line is that KK is a proven winner at the AHL level if hes given the right talent.

I seem to remember a lot of praise being thrown his way by the players graduating from his team, and that he's very good at the communication side of things with younger people. Seems like a great fit for the farm team.

StatesideSensFan

Jun 29, 2003
Atlanta
He coached at U-Alabama Huntsville, but I don't know if he was lured away from Bingo because of it, or if he just sort of fell into the job after leaving Bingo.

He resigned from UAH after only one season because he missed pro hockey. Not sure if that gives any insight on whether or not me was lured away, though.

UAH would not have given him a big sack of money to come coach. Hell, the program is chronically short of funds and had to do a pledge drive to save the program either last year or the year before. He likely got jaded by this and left after one year to go back to juniors.

Either way, great to have him and SS back on board at Bingo

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Awesome move

Will be great to finally have a capable head coach in Binghamton after years of underachieving under Richardson

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Darn you Denis...........

neat.

I thought this was a necro bump at first :laugh:

"DrunkUncleDenis":

Darn you I had no idea what you were talking about so I had to look it up.....................

"necro. (verb) to comment on an internet thread long after the conversation has concluded, often using information that did not exist at the time of the original ..."

It does make sense, but damn I had no clue what you were talking about.......:amazed::amazed::amazed:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Good, I think he does a really good job and am happy to see him back.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
"DrunkUncleDenis":

Darn you I had no idea what you were talking about so I had to look it up.....................

"necro. (verb) to comment on an internet thread long after the conversation has concluded, often using information that did not exist at the time of the original ..."

It does make sense, but damn I had no clue what you were talking about.......:amazed::amazed::amazed:

Zeke, in your opinion, who was the better coach.

Richardson or Kleinendorst?

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Zeke, in your opinion, who was the better coach.

Richardson or Kleinendorst?

"Samsquanch":

Without a doubt Kleinendorst (KK) is by far the better hockey coach......

I never got on Luke for his coaching ability in fact I have only blasted 2 coaches down here since 1973 and they deserved it........

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Awesome move

Will be great to finally have a capable head coach in Binghamton after years of underachieving under Richardson

What is this?

Richardson was a fantastic coach for Binghamton. Many players developed under him and he consistently always had guys ready for their call ups.

No need to trash Luke now that he's gone. He did his job here very well.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Not sure how to feel about this.
Bingo was never that great under KK. In their Cup year they finished as 7th or 8th seed and the playoff run was kinda a fluke to be honest.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What is this?

Richardson was a fantastic coach for Binghamton. Many players developed under him and he consistently always had guys ready for their call ups.

No need to trash Luke now that he's gone. He did his job here very well.

He had one winning season in 2013/14, which got everyone on board the Richardson-to-Ottawa train, and followed up with two pathetic years, despite having a good roster to work with.

I don't consider a guy that coached a strong roster outside of the playoffs for two straight years to be a good coach. Binghamton underachieved significantly under his tenure, especially this season. I'm glad he's gone. Quite excited to see what Bingo can do with KK behind the bench again.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
"Samsquanch":

Without a doubt Kleinendorst (KK) is by far the better hockey coach......

I never got on Luke for his coaching ability in fact I have only blasted 2 coaches down here since 1973 and they deserved it........

Just as I suspected a bingo fan would say. Thanks Zeke.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, and despite Luke being a swell guy, I'm relieved that he didn't even get the chance to interview for the HC gig in Ottawa.

He was not a great coach imo.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
It wasn't a fluke. Lehner played awesome in the playoffs and Potulny killed while there was also a decent line up.

Like Locke, Greening, Butler, Cowen, O'Brien, Beniot, Weircoich, Smith, Gryba, Condra.

Hoffman played for that team too.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
Just as I suspected a bingo fan would say. Thanks Zeke.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, and despite Luke being a swell guy, I'm relieved that he didn't even get the chance to interview for the HC gig in Ottawa.

He was not a great coach imo.

"Samsquanch":

Well being honest I am biased to Coach KK who in Binghamton would Not be biased towards him??????

He was the Magic Man that Cup winning season down here everything he did was right.......

He brought me a Calder Cup after 38 yrs of suffering down here KK, and all the players that season hold a very special place in our hearts in Binghamton......

He gave me my Cup that no one can ever take away from me it is mine forever...................

Coach KK gave me this........

Cody-Duty.jpg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He had one winning season in 2013/14, which got everyone on board the Richardson-to-Ottawa train, and followed up with two pathetic years, despite having a good roster to work with.

I don't consider a guy that coached a strong roster outside of the playoffs for two straight years to be a good coach. Binghamton underachieved significantly under his tenure, especially this season. I'm glad he's gone. Quite excited to see what Bingo can do with KK behind the bench again.

His team had the exact same record in 2012-13 as it did in 2013-14, so that would be two winning seasons, no?

His last two seasons had a very similar quality roster to what KK had his final season here. You could argue that KK had the better roster. Guess which team had the better record.

I'm not saying Richardson was perfect by any means, he was a bit old school in that he seemed to want skilled players to work their way up from the grind lines to the scoring lines. But, I think, as per usual, people are quick to cast everything in a negative light when the season doesn't go as planed.

I'm not a big Richardson fan, however, I also don't blame the teams lack of success entirely on him. Goaltending just wasn't good and I never cared for the D. He didn't help things with how he deployed his lines, but from what I saw (which was limited, admittedly) he wasn't the sole reason this team did poorly.

Anyways, I always liked KK, and hope he can thrive. A new injection of talent will be needed for the team to do well though.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Good varied background, including previous Calder cup with Bingo.

As a young player he had pretty decent ECAC numbers .. wonder why he never made it.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2747

I wonder if his being involved with the NCAA and USNDP will help Colin White decide to come sooner than later. BC is going to have rough time vs BU this year IMO.

BC will be fine against BU this year. Keller and Bellows are likely to go to the OHL. Keller is similar to Bracco and may struggle against the strength, age and size of NCAA. I think their is a high chance he goes OHL.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
BC will be fine against BU this year. Keller and Bellows are likely to go to the OHL. Keller is similar to Bracco and may struggle against the strength, age and size of NCAA. I think their is a high chance he goes OHL.

wouldn't it be good for a guy like Keller to stay in the NCAA and have more time in the year to work in the gym and gains more strength that way? That's one of the good thing i heard about NCAA route. Player don't play has much, but they have a lot of time to hit the gym and gain strength.

Same thing for White ( NCAA vs AHL ).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad