OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I actually do like swamp...at least, northern style woodlands/wetlands. Not the southern "bog" swamps.

Going hiking around Ontario wetlands is awesome.

Sure. If you like BUGS.

(I mean, I actually agree, but when I was a kid I couldn't stand it.)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Glen Cairn is the worst. It's toilet water.

Fun fact*, when everyone not in Glen Cairn goes to the bathroom, they say, "If you need me, i'll be sitting on the Glen."

*the validity of this fact may or may not be questionable.
I read this quickly and thought you were talking about Scotch! :laugh:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Was at a private event last night at Preston Hardware as they had a Weber traveling road show with Grillmaster Michael Clive. He made (well, we made) an upside down pineapple cake on the BBQ, it was incredible! Also, cedar planked salmon, something that I have always wanted to make but having made it last night will try at home. With some apple wood chips the smokiness was just right. Last a thumping NY strip, grilled to perfection. He seasones it with salt, pepper and olive oil. I never put salt before cooking but he says so long as it goes on the grill imminently it is ok. Quite the night and education.

had a Weber for years but when putting in an outside kitchen in my backyard , had to switch to Napoleon, which is excellent too, but I do miss my Weber. Thinking of buying a small charcoal Weber for fun, it did a heck of a job and how easy it lit with these parafi cubes was amazing!

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Was at a private event last night at Preston Hardware as they had a Weber traveling road show with Grillmaster Michael Clive. He made (well, we made) an upside down pineapple cake on the BBQ, it was incredible! Also, cedar planked salmon, something that I have always wanted to make but having made it last night will try at home. With some apple wood chips the smokiness was just right. Last a thumping NY strip, grilled to perfection. He seasones it with salt, pepper and olive oil. I never put salt before cooking but he says so long as it goes on the grill imminently it is ok. Quite the night and education.

had a Weber for years but when putting in an outside kitchen in my backyard , had to switch to Napoleon, which is excellent too, but I do miss my Weber. Thinking of buying a small charcoal Weber for fun, it did a heck of a job and how easy it lit with these parafi cubes was amazing!

My buddy swears by his big green egg, but you can get knockoffs that are much cheaper and still pretty darn good.

Reactions: coladin

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
My buddy swears by his big green egg, but you can get knockoffs that are much cheaper and still pretty darn good.

I'm running on a Napoleon right now.

It's a decent little rig. Happy with the performance I'm getting out of it when weighed against what I paid for it. Not an top-line grill, but the heat is consistent and cook times are predictable, and the grill itself is sturdy and seems to be built for longevity, which is all you can really ask of a BBQ.

It's clealry not meant for large-capacity smoking or anything, juat a reliable grill that does the job it was built to do, which sadly isn't always a guarantee these days.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

The salt thing is interesting.

I salt steaks liberally and let them rest in the fridge (uncovered) for 4 days. The sear you get is incredible.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The salt thing is interesting.

I salt steaks liberally and let them rest in the fridge (uncovered) for 4 days. The sear you get is incredible.

I've salted my steaks (the salt + pepper + olive oil way that coladin mentions) forever. Always come out delicious, and always better if you can use a bigger rock of salt like sea salt.

Salt/pepper/olive oil is your base for a good chicken rub as well. With chicken, I'll usually add some paprika and cumin to the mix.

With pork, it's a much greasier meat (assuming you bought good cuts of pork, and not the fatless, tasteless cuts that Superstore loves to sell :mad:), so to avoind BBQ wildfires, I usually marinade them in an olive oil/ canola oil/ orange juice marinade - the OJ cuts the oil so it's not a grease fire waiting to happen. Salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, fresh cilantro, lemon juice and OJ... Marinade for the day, get that on the grill, and baby, you got yourself some cuban pork for dinner.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I always cook with coarse kosher salt. Easier to control how much you add and to eyeball seasoning.

I always finish steaks with Maldon. Mostly for show lol.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
For grilling I just love charcoal grills way too much to ever switch. It’s charcoal or bust for me.

Between a charcoal grill and my crockpot I feel like I don’t need anything else. Oh and my cast iron skillet.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I've salted my steaks (the salt + pepper + olive oil way that coladin mentions) forever. Always come out delicious, and always better if you can use a bigger rock of salt like sea salt.

Salt/pepper/olive oil is your base for a good chicken rub as well. With chicken, I'll usually add some paprika and cumin to the mix.

With pork, it's a much greasier meat (assuming you bought good cuts of pork, and not the fatless, tasteless cuts that Superstore loves to sell :mad:), so to avoind BBQ wildfires, I usually marinade them in an olive oil/ canola oil/ orange juice marinade - the OJ cuts the oil so it's not a grease fire waiting to happen. Salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, fresh cilantro, lemon juice and OJ... Marinade for the day, get that on the grill, and baby, you got yourself some cuban pork for dinner.

If you want an alternate rub for pork, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, turmeric plus your standard onion,garlic,salt and pepper to taste. Use OJ or Lime for the acid, and consider avocado oil instead of olive oil.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I kinda want to take cooking lessons at some point. Or grill specific cooking lessons if they exist. I really have no idea what spices go together or what meats they go with. I usually just google something like "steak marinade" or "pork rub"

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Regarding pork though:

Asian cooking>>>>Western cooking

But for beef it is the opposite. And chicken is pretty much equal.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I know most of you don't really care, but I stopped by a charity book fair today. One of the things I found:

zzh7fQb.jpg

The one hardcover is mildly irritating, but other than that, I'm looking forward to reliving my childhood over the next several days.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I kinda want to take cooking lessons at some point. Or grill specific cooking lessons if they exist. I really have no idea what spices go together or what meats they go with. I usually just google something like "steak marinade" or "pork rub"

I just taught myself how to cook. Went to the internet for recipes and bought what I needed.

If you cook based off recipes for a while u start to get a taste for certain herbs and spices and can experiment.

Pasta is a good place to start. Find a good tomatoe sauce recipe, and you can do anything with it.

Some Mexican dishes are pretty simple too. Brown some ground beef, add some chopped garlic and onions then sprinkle in cumin, oregano, chilli powder and salt and pepper. Delicious tacos. Add some beans and rice to make burritos.

Add those herbs and spices with some olive oil and lime juice to marinade chicken or steak then grill or pan fry and you have fajitas.

Allrecipes.ca is your friend

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Also remember that generally you'll want an acid and an oil. Then when it comes to seasonings I find there are some standard combinations that seem to be the effect of something earthy (to me this is stuff like cumin, thyme) combined with something green in about equal parts (so your rosemary and oregano and parsley and basils), then you add one or two something uniques (ie ginger, fennel, cinnamon, turmeric, mustard) in smaller amounts to provide the character you're looking for.

I've never really actually read up on it, so I'm sure someone with a better base can describe what I'm trying to say better. But basically look around at different marinades, notice the patterns, adjust accordingly to what you find tasty.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Also remember that generally you'll want an acid and an oil. Then when it comes to seasonings I find there are some standard combinations that seem to be the effect of something earthy (to me this is stuff like cumin, thyme) combined with something green in about equal parts (so your rosemary and oregano and parsley and basils), then you add one or two something uniques (ie ginger, fennel, cinnamon, turmeric, mustard) in smaller amounts to provide the character you're looking for.

I've never really actually read up on it, so I'm sure someone with a better base can describe what I'm trying to say better. But basically look around at different marinades, notice the patterns, adjust accordingly to what you find tasty.

Somid advice. The acid and oil is key for marinades.

Is easy to experiment with tomatoe sauces, stews and curry. Lots of wiggle room, no wrong way to do it.

Everytime I make curry it's slightly different. Depends on what pastes and spices and herbs I have on hand.

Souvlaki is an easy thing to make too. Similar marinade that I use for Mexican dishes, just no cumin. Chicken marinades in olive oil, lemon juice, oregano salt and pepper for 24 hours and grilled is divine.

I usually skewer it with peppers and red onions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad