OT: Sens Lounge XCV: Music Mourning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Explosion outside an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester UK.

Apparently a nail bomb. 19 dead so far at least 50 injured.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Another device has been found. Will be detonated with a controlled explosion.

EDIT: Police determined it was not another device but rather abandoned clothes.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Looks like I might have bought my first car.

2010 Mazda 6 GS with a V6 @ 99k km for 7500. Pretty happy!

Way to go! Enjoy and that is pretty low clicks, 14k a year. My first car was a 1989 Mazda 626 Turbo. It was pretty new at the time, maybe 6 months old as my dad hated it! A five door sedan/hatchback for a 17yr old, that I worked on to make it a Mustang/Camaro worst nightmare!

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I have tried to get her to question it, but any skepticism towards the garbage just seems to make her double down on it. She almost always listens with headphones now. I think it is because she didn't want to hear my sister and I critisizing it.

Not to assume, but if you start belittling things she puts a lot of stock in, of course she's going to get defensive. If you want to have a constructive discussion about it, try to find some aspect of it that you can also acknowledge and maybe you'll find a path to an open dialogue. Research up, for example, on psychosomatic causes of illness, there is a lot of legitimate research on it. Try to keep an open mind and realise that you don't know everything. She has a lot more life experience than you do and I'm sure most parents find it offensive to have their kids belittling them about things they have had no opportunity to experience. Alternatively, just accept her for who she is and come to terms with the fact that her beliefs are different than yours. Poke fun at them occasionally if it makes your ego feel better, but be good-natured about it.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
She has a lot more life experience than you do and I'm sure most parents find it offensive to have their kids belittling them about things they have had no opportunity to experience.

Explain to me how "life experience" is a reason that pseudoscience is now valid or should be approved of? You're just posting an argument from age fallacy.
She is educating herself on non-facts, that is a reason for her kids to be concerned (otherwise they wouldn't have posted in this thread), as they should be.

Alternatively, just accept her for who she is and come to terms with the fact that her beliefs are different than yours. Poke fun at them occasionally if it makes your ego feel better, but be good-natured about it.

"Ego"

The person is trying to help their mother realize that what she is "learning" is completely fabricated and hogwash. The pseudoscience/homeopathy industry is riddled with crooks and fraud artists, stop defending them.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The person is trying to help their mother realize that what she is "learning" is completely fabricated and hogwash. The pseudoscience/homeopathy industry is riddled with crooks and fraud artists, stop defending them.

This is definitely a valid concern. There are a ton of fraudsters out there, and they look for older folks with homes/pensions/bank accounts/etc.

That's the big problem with the internet and social media. It is a wealth of information...but also a wealth of misinformation, disinformation and half-truths and agendas. The scariest thing is a person with a little bit of knowledge, because those people (basically all of us) just don't understand how much we don't know. It's so easy to be led down the wrong path.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It took me 6 hours to build an Ikea dresser yesterday. It's not that it was overly difficult or frustrating. It was just huge (8 drawers and 150 lbs, jesus) and tedious. Honestly though, with Netflix and some bud light (come at me), it was alright.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I dropped my realtor today and she kept trying to get me to comeback so I had to keep repeating myself. It was really weird. If I came back it would be really awkward at that point anyway.

She doesn't work weekends it was killing me when trying to find a house. Also she never once emailed me about a house I always initiated the talk. I was set up in the housing system to get emails but still. Throw me a boke somehow! Even if this market is crazy right now.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah. Realtors like that make me mad how they work on a % commission. Industry should be flat rate.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah. Realtors like that make me mad how they work on a % commission. Industry should be flat rate.

She pretty much just unlocked doors for me, but not on weekends. She was super nice though and I still feel bad sorta, but I'm never going to find a house that way.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'm not so sure that's the answer either, or at least, it doesn't solve all the problems that exist with the current system. Realtors are incentivised to sell quick, not sell for maximum return for their client. Flat fees don't really change that incentive, and could even exacerbate it.

Paying realtors on an 'a la carte' basis for the services rendered might be the best in terms of fairness, but it shifts a lot of risk onto the seller.

I mean, I've seen 500k houses sell within days of being listed; did the selling realtor really have time to earn their ~12.5k? Did the owner get his/her 25k worth out of that 5% commission? I guess you could argue that the value is in the quick turn around.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I'm in Halifax for work this week.

Any Sens bars here?

I'm not sure about Sens bars, but they should definitely have the game on, especially that they are playing Sid and the Pens..

I was actually quite surprised last summer with the amount of Sens fans I encountered in Halifax.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I find it kinda sad that whenever you hear about a new terrorist attack nowadays, your first reaction is a resigned, "Again? Where was it, and how many people died this time?" instead of shock and horror. We've become so desensitized to it because it happens so often.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
It took me 6 hours to build an Ikea dresser yesterday. It's not that it was overly difficult or frustrating. It was just huge (8 drawers and 150 lbs, jesus) and tedious. Honestly though, with Netflix and some bud light (come at me), it was alright.

That stuff is hard to do when you are on your own! I put my bed and couch together from ikea. While not hard, sometimes it is awkward to do on your own.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
She pretty much just unlocked doors for me, but not on weekends. She was super nice though and I still feel bad sorta, but I'm never going to find a house that way.

That was a BIG reason why I sold my house on my own. Not saying everyone is like that, but to have someone just come in my place and unlock doors for me and do nothing else; sorry you gotta do more than that to earn your 5%. If ever I'm in the situation again to sell and don't need to on a fixed time, I'll do it myself again. It was so simple.

That said, there are perks to real estate agents and I would likely always use one for buying. I do think in the area I live in, they are a bit skeezy however.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm not so sure that's the answer either, or at least, it doesn't solve all the problems that exist with the current system. Realtors are incentivised to sell quick, not sell for maximum return for their client. Flat fees don't really change that incentive, and could even exacerbate it.

Paying realtors on an 'a la carte' basis for the services rendered might be the best in terms of fairness, but it shifts a lot of risk onto the seller.

I mean, I've seen 500k houses sell within days of being listed; did the selling realtor really have time to earn their ~12.5k? Did the owner get his/her 25k worth out of that 5% commission? I guess you could argue that the value is in the quick turn around.

Well, if time is a factor... That'd be one of the rates to pay.
$x bonus for sale within a week or whatever.

I don't see how selling a house for 500k vs selling a house for 250k is that much different in terms of time/effort for a realtor.

They'll spend the same amount of time per room staging and taking photos, they'll spend the same amount of time per each open house held.

Just feels like all the current system does is help to drive up prices exponentially. Especially given that the realtor trying to help you buy a place gets a % cut, feels like a conflict of interest.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
very sad to hear. gonna be listening to audioslave all day now

Yeah, its been a rough few days here, but I think i'm finally coming outta my Cornell induced funk. I don't usually feel celebrity deaths like this, but this 1 hit me for a few reasons. The only 1 i'm willing to share, is the music. My wife doesn't get it, " you never met the man". She's not a REAL music lover. Music that speaks to you through sound , lyrics, voice, and that emotion, when you really feel it, you connect. Pearl Jam's been my #1 band for 20 years now, for the same reason. Soundgarden was probably my 3rd fave, and I must have seen at least 100 youtube vids of Chris Cornell, with bands or solo stuff, and interviews. Life goes on, however, for us anyways....

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I find it kinda sad that whenever you hear about a new terrorist attack nowadays, your first reaction is a resigned, "Again? Where was it, and how many people died this time?" instead of shock and horror. We've become so desensitized to it because it happens so often.

I can't help but wonder...what would society have looked like if (todays) internet and social media were around during the leadup and years during WWII. Or even WWI and the flu pandemic. Imagine the average person back then seeing absolutely every single atrocity that occurred, almost in real time....

We'd probably be extinct now from the ensuing panic.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
That was a BIG reason why I sold my house on my own. Not saying everyone is like that, but to have someone just come in my place and unlock doors for me and do nothing else; sorry you gotta do more than that to earn your 5%. If ever I'm in the situation again to sell and don't need to on a fixed time, I'll do it myself again. It was so simple.

That said, there are perks to real estate agents and I would likely always use one for buying. I do think in the area I live in, they are a bit skeezy however.

Well as a buyer the perks for me are I essentially pay nothing. The commission is split between realtors on the sale of the home.

I think that's the problem a lot of for sale by owner people have, why pay for a lawyer to do all of this when I get a free buyers agent? Good job selling on your own though that definitely gets you the most money!

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Well as a buyer the perks for me are I essentially pay nothing. The commission is split between realtors on the sale of the home.

I think that's the problem a lot of for sale by owner people have, why pay for a lawyer to do all of this when I get a free buyers agent? Good job selling on your own though that definitely gets you the most money!

Well you still have to pay a lawyer if I remember correctly.

But yeah I'd use a realtor on the buying end because it isn't an obscene amount of money (or any).

And when I sold my house my lawyer did all my paperwork and everything for me... so it was awesome. Saved $15000! Although I had a few realtors go through my place and give some really snarky comments because I didn't use a real estate agent (like I wouldn't sell because they wouldn't bring their business to be)... what they failed to realize was that I was willing to give them a percentage.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Buyer's agent though will typically only direct you to sales by other agents, as sale by owner commissions are less.

You can actually usually convince the seller's agent to reduce some of the 5% commission if you don't have an agent, as they no longer have to split with yours.

So a buyers agent does cost you something indirectly.

Of course in Ontario, they're still keeping all the sales history records secret so that is one advantage agents have over non agents (unless you have a friend who is one and can hook you up with comparables).

Also, even in this ridiculous market I think the seller is still paying closing costs. So it's not like you're paying the lawyer much more than 100 bucks for looking over a status certificate or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad