OT: Sens Lounge LXXVIII | The Big Bang Theory Is Objectively Terrible Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I figured when it came to marijuana, Canada more or less was already on the boat with the idea. Any real opponents are few and far between these days, especially since Colorado and Washington seem to be thriving under their new laws.

The conservatives are pretty hard against it and so are their hardcore supporters.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
It's really complex. I do not support the use of illegal drugs, but it would be fair to question what qualifies them as "illegal". I would not want to live in a society that condones the use of illegal drugs but then again it would be fair to criticize the states and say that I live in a society that condones invading other countries to further monetary gains. I just would not want to be around that type of participation.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The conservatives are pretty hard against it and so are their hardcore supporters.

Exactly. It shouldn't be a political issue but because of the money from law enforcement, prisons, drug companies, tobacco and alcohol, it is. This is about the conservatives blatantly ignoring the will of the people (And free market). They're not just against it, they federally funded polls to get the word from Canadian people on the issue, saw we were in favour of it and are now using our tax dollars to tell us our opinion is incorrect.

We should have done this year's ago but the CPC has set us back to the early 2000 US Bush era.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Didn't realize the NDP had lost so much ground. The last time I looked at the polls showed them in a close third.

Will be happy if the NDP can influence a Liberal government to beef up social spending. Would like to see medicare expanded to include pharmaceutical coverage, optometry, and dental.

Don't take this personally

GOD DAMN IT PEOPLE!

Health care coverage is provincial, the Federal Government does not decide what is and what isn't covered

Historically over the long haul maybe, but they've been pretty much a center-left party since losing to Mulrooney.

It's nit-picking, though. They've been as close to a true centrist party as there is forever. Until now, I guess? They're still centrist from an economic perspective, they're just leaning a little further left socially under Trudeau in order to get the youth vote out.

There wasn't much left-leaning under Chretien and Martin I'd argue

I figured when it came to marijuana, Canada more or less was already on the boat with the idea. Any real opponents are few and far between these days, especially since Colorado and Washington seem to be thriving under their new laws.

The CPC have completely ****ed up the Medical Marijuana program. People used to be allowed to grow for themselves but now they have to go through businesses who overcharge like crazy (because they can and because of all the added costs of going through the regulations and red tape).

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Don't take this personally

The CPC have completely ****ed up the Medical Marijuana program. People used to be allowed to grow for themselves but now they have to go through businesses who overcharge like crazy (because they can and because of all the added costs of going through the regulations and red tape).

Oh it gets much worse than that.

A lot of Doctors won't even prescribe it, not because of their beliefs or because they aren't educated enough to know the benefits, but because it automatically lands then on a list which essentially gives authority to probe into every aspect of their practices.

Some of my Doctor colleagues have said they fully believe in it but would never prescribe it just because they don't want to deal with the harassment it could open them up to and will just suggest that people get via other means, and may point them to certain websites. It's garbage policy, quiet Orwellian in my mind.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Oh it gets much worse than that.

A lot of Doctors won't even prescribe it, not because of their beliefs or because they aren't educated enough to know the benefits, but because it automatically lands then on a list which essentially gives authority to probe into every aspect of their practices.

Some of my Doctor colleagues have said they fully believe in it but would never prescribe it just because they don't want to deal with the harassment it could open them up to and will just suggest that people get via other means, and may point them to certain websites. It's garbage policy, quiet Orwellian in my mind.

Interesting

However the Federal Government doesn't really have authority over doctors, generally speaking....

I believe you but I'm curious about the inner workings of this: would it be Health Canada, whom I work for on a contract, that does it or the Province on behalf of the Federal Government?

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
It's really complex. I do not support the use of illegal drugs, but it would be fair to question what qualifies them as "illegal". I would not want to live in a society that condones the use of illegal drugs but then again it would be fair to criticize the states and say that I live in a society that condones invading other countries to further monetary gains. I just would not want to be around that type of participation.

I think everything should be looked at rationally and not emotionally. The people who are against drugs are against them for no other reason than someone (parents, religious figures, teachers) telling them it's bad.

I think a very standard question is: Why are drugs like alcohol and tabacco legal, but marijuana is not? We should set up a harmfulness chart, and base it on that and say " No substance with a rating higher than ______" should be legal... Or just let people make a personal decision of whether or not they want to smoke or drink.

For me, alcholol is just as bad as marijuana (or even worse. No such thing as a weed hangover or weed induced wife beating or sexual assault), so they should either be both legal or both illegal

Apaharn

Aug 12, 2008
I think everything should be looked at rationally and not emotionally. The people who are against drugs are against them for no other reason than someone (parents, religious figures, teachers) telling them it's bad.

I think a very standard question is: Why are drugs like alcohol and tabacco legal, but marijuana is not? We should set up a harmfulness chart, and base it on that and say " No substance with a rating higher than ______" should be legal... Or just let people make a personal decision of whether or not they want to smoke or drink.

For me, alcholol is just as bad as marijuana (or even worse. No such thing as a weed hangover or weed induced wife beating or sexual assault), so they should either be both legal or both illegal

Don't give them (the anti-pot crowd) any ideas...

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I'm such an ass.

In front of Cornwall City Hall today, a gangly tattooed fellow approaches me and asks if I know "where to get down." I have no clue what he's talking about, figure he's trying to be cute, so with much snark I respond with "your mother?". He clarifies: "getting down" means doing morphine. Ah. I see. No sir. I don't know that.

Am I really that bummy looking and emaciated? Maybe I should think of changing my wardrobe? Gaining weight?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs out there. It's hard to compare numbers due to the fact that alcohol is legal and other drugs aren't, but nobody can deny just how dangerous it is. Pot is not without it's own danger, while not physically addictive people can still become mentally hooked on it, and for those susceptible to addiction it can indeed be a gateway to harder drugs. Of course the two largest gateway drugs are alcohol and nicotine if we're going to be honest.

I don't touch the stuff anymore, but i think legalizing,regulating and taxing the stuff would do society much more good than harm.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Right about meow

The funk soul brother

:laugh:

Still trying to come up with a name for him... Brown tabby.

Future dog is being named Devo as mentioned before...

I kinda feel like going down the musician route but for some reason only Slash is sticking in my head.

Also. Totally forgot how much random crap you need for them. Took it all for granted with last pet cause the ex then was crazy pet lady and had everything you'd ever want for any given pet.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I kinda feel like going down the musician route but for some reason only Slash is sticking in my head.

Also. Totally forgot how much random crap you need for them. Took it all for granted with last pet cause the ex then was crazy pet lady and had everything you'd ever want for any given pet.

Ser Pounce if you're a game of thrones fan :P

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

James Brown Tabby.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Attachments

• 2014-09-19-1.jpg
    2014-09-19-1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events