OT: Sens Lounge LXX: Return of bad titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
People just shut off their brains while driving as soon snow hits the ground. I just went out to grab a slice of za and 2 people almost crashed into me, one of them just hit another car. ****, people are dumb.

It was absolutely ridiculous though. No snowplows anywhere in sight. It was pure ice on the highway.

I took some videos. There were 2 BMWs that weren't able to drive up the 174 exit towards Orleans (off the 417). Cars were sliding down the highway near the aviation parkway exit. It was brutal. Over 70 accidents reported in Ottawa

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I find it ridiculous that even though the Xbox One is out, it would still cost me $50 to replace my dying 360 controller.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Snow tires aren't even necessary if you have half a brain. But yeah people are ridiculous. I don't even know how half the people on the road get their licenses.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Snow tires aren't even necessary if you have half a brain. But yeah people are ridiculous. I don't even know how half the people on the road get their licenses.

Oh, come on. Get some facts. It's been definitively and scientifically proven that snow tires in winter are way more safe than summer or all-seasons. Sure, theoretically if you have half a brain you don't need a bike helmet when you're riding a bike, either. But you can't account for what others around you are doing. Putting the odds on your side is what anyone with half a brain should do.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Where did I say facts point to anything? I said they weren't necessary not that they weren't safer. Just drive slower and don't push snow tires down my throat. Tired of hearing about them all-seasons work just fine.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Where did I say facts point to anything? I said they weren't necessary not that they weren't safer. Just drive slower and don't push snow tires down my throat. Tired of hearing about them all-seasons work just fine.

Yeah no. Live 30 minutes east of Ottawa. I absolutely need snow tires. There's a huge difference between Winter and All-season especially on black ice.

Here's today for example. BMW with all-season (I know because we passed right besides her after I shot the video) was sliding down the 174 exit on the highway around 2pm today.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
OK you might need them but I've been driving for nearly 10 years through south mountain and surrounding areas. I've never had an issue. Showing me examples of people losing control especially without context is silly. A lot of the time if not all of the time these things are avoidable by knowing how to react and driving slower.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Driver training > Snow tires.

People put on snow tires and they think they can drive like they do in the middle of July.

Slow down, anticipate that the people around you are idiots and understand how to control a skid and you will be fine.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Like HAWT said you can't control what other people around you are doing. There is no good reason not to get snow tires

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

People put on snow tires and they think they can drive like they do in the middle of July.

Slow down, anticipate that the people around you are idiots and understand how to control a skid and you will be fine.

This is how I feel. As with almost anything in life it's the indian not the arrow.

Though I do currently have snow tires on my car I don't feel like they are necessary at all.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Sorry for the aggressive tone. I knew a couple of people who died due to winter driving incidents. Any time I see people unwilling to make a change to make themselves safer, it just bums me out I guess.
OK you might need them but I've been driving for nearly 10 years through south mountain and surrounding areas. I've never had an issue. Showing me examples of people losing control especially without context is silly. A lot of the time if not all of the time these things are avoidable by knowing how to react and driving slower.
...and this is exactly the issue at hand. A good chunk of people don't bother getting them because the rationale is, since it has never happened to them before, it never will in the future. All it takes is one dumb driver making one dumb decision and you may not have a "next time" to get snow tires for.

Wholeheartedly agreed on the first point -- nothing beats proper education. But I disagree on the second issue. Not every situation is clear-cut black and white. Even when you're anticipating people being idiots, that bit of extra grip could make a difference.
Yes there is. Money. If you are allowed to ***** about people not spending $500+ on snow tires, I am allowed to ***** about people buying fake jerseys.
...and I can totally sympathize with this point. It sucks that there's a dollar tag on something that could maybe possibly one day save your life, but that's the ****** reality of life I guess.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
drive slower and get snow tires, so simple even a caveman can do it

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
If you're willing to drive slower, why don't you get snow tires to be even safer. All-seasons become ineffective on ice once you it -5 temperatures. Winter tires should be mandatory like in Quebec, it can save lives.

Fake jerseys aren't even close to the same thing. Does buying a real vs. fake jersey have the potential to save the life of someone? I'll buy Winter tires for the same reasons I buy a good bike helmet when I'm biking.

It makes a big difference to avoid a stupid drive that cuts you off or loses control in front of you.

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
Deku is the jersey in your avy yours? I was gonna get that exact jersey, but the Sens store had none so I opted for Turris.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
You can be the best driver in the world and still end up in the ditch on icy roads. Snow tires help a lot and it's foolish to think they're not worth investing in.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Deku is the jersey in your avy yours? I was gonna get that exact jersey, but the Sens store had none so I opted for Turris.

No it's from Google Images :laugh:

Soon I will probably need a new jersey though, with my current one being Michalek :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad