Pre-Game Talk: SENS in NJ, tonight 7:00 pm on TSN

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The lineup I provided with the question mark was one we would have with everybody healthy. But we know injuries happen, and currently we are missing Ryan, Smith, and White. So the additional top 6 guy is not only there to make my proposed lineup look pretty, but also to help with injuries. Guys like White, Dido etc will still get to play plenty, even with that additional top 6 guy. That's hockey for you.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
A Smith - Pageau - Dzingel could be a very nice 3rd line indeed.

Ryan - Brassard - Stone
Hoffman - Turris - ??? <- solve this and cruise into the playoffs
Smith - Pageau - Dzingel
Burrows - Thompson - Pyatt <- as a 4th line I like this

Add White as depth.

Yup. I'd go to war with that lineup against anyone, depending on that ??? I suppose.

If we can get one legit top 6 winger, and it doesn't have to be a Kane or a Kucherov, everyone else falls into place perfectly in this lineup.

Of course Boucher will put Hoffman with JG, and Smith with Turris, but regardless that would give us 3 great lines, and a very competent 4th.

Good enough to win with our D corp and goalies if we have everyone playing the system, and injury free.

Get it done Pierre, and trade anything not named Chabot to get the right deal for us.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
There aren't many top 6 options who will be available.

Evander Kane will likely be dealt...
If NYR doesn't turn it around, Grabner would be an ideal option imo.
Other than that there really isn't much.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
There aren't many top 6 options who will be available.

Evander Kane will likely be dealt...
If NYR doesn't turn it around, Grabner would be an ideal option imo.
Other than that there really isn't much.

yeah Grabner would be cool too. Not really a top 6 forward per se, but him and Pageau on the same line would be great. Actually Hoffman-Pageau-Grabner would have so much speed lol, wow.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree with this. I think if you add a top 6 W we have a legit top 6.

Not likely to happen via trade due to MacArthur’s salary still being paid on IR and the Senators operating on a budget below the cap.

Only hope is one of our drafted players advances quickly to top 6 level skill set.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Dido is a smart player, can clearly play with offensive players. Agreed that for now especially Hoff Pageau Dido should be tried so we can move Pyatt on to a line with Thompson thus even with the injuries we can roll 4. I liked Rodewalds game last night more than McCormick bigger faster and stronger hockey player. Id like to see them run these lines assuming Turris is back for the game Monday.

Chlapik Brassard Stone
Smith Turris Dzingel
Hoffman Pageau Didomenico
Burrows Thompson Pyatt

I liked Rodewald’s game too. He is pretty fast and looks big.

I was disappointed in Brassard who is pulling a Spezza in the Ozone quite often. He is lazy like Spezza and does not hustle back to provide back-side pressure and take a man. Very disappointed in his play.

I thought Pyatt screwed up his defensive coverage in the Dzone twice during the game that led to 2 goals against.

Reactions: Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, but you are missing the point. I'm not discrediting White. He may be what we wanted and more. What I'm criticizing is not having a backup plan. Just like you said we did have a backup plan for the D, but not the forwards. The management should have learned their lesson last year, when they banked on Lazar and lost miserably. It's not coincidence that they traded for Wingels. Also it's no coincidence that there are multiple stories that Dorion is working the phones looking for forwards.

What I'm suggesting is having a backup plan or security blanket, as we still don't know if White can play and contribute this year. He hasn't so far. And no Vandevelde was not that.

But what I'm saying is that MacArthur was part of the plan, ignoring him throws everything out of context. With MacArthur, you could look at Thompson as the backup plan for White not working out.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You can't afford to have backup plans everywhere. We have lots of depth at D and it has proven key.

I can't fault management for not having backup plans for every scenario.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
You can't afford to have backup plans everywhere. We have lots of depth at D and it has proven key.

I can't fault management for not having backup plans for every scenario.
Not for every scenario, you know just the one that happened last year. They should learn from their mistakes.

But what I'm saying is that MacArthur was part of the plan, ignoring him throws everything out of context. With MacArthur, you could look at Thompson as the backup plan for White not working out.

Even with MacArthur in the picture (while I could argue that management foresaw him failing his physical, but that's another argument), White was penciled into the 3 RW spot. Without any backup plan, and no I don't believe Thompson was it. Thompson was the Kelly replacement on the 4th line C. Very similar to what happened last year with Lazar, with Kelly playing the Thompson role.

MacArthur injury exacerbated the issue, which the management should have known was a vary real possibility. Enhancing the need to have another skilled forward.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not for every scenario, you know just the one that happened last year. They should learn from their mistakes.

Even with MacArthur in the picture (while I could argue that management foresaw him failing his physical, but that's another argument), White was penciled into the 3 RW spot. Without any backup plan, and no I don't believe Thompson was it. Thompson was the Kelly replacement on the 4th line C. Very similar to what happened last year with Lazar, with Kelly playing the Thompson role.

MacArthur injury exacerbated the issue, which the management should have known was a vary real possibility. Enhancing the need to have another skilled forward.

With MacArthur in the lineup, White was the extra piece that had to beat out a vet to get a spot. Isn't that exactly what you were asking for?

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Brassard-Stone
Hoffman-Pageau-Pyatt
Dzingel-Thompson-Burrows
extra: White/Paul/McCormick/Dido/Brown/whatever other rookie might surprise (it was Formenton)

Sorry, but MacArthur's failed medical didn't exacerbate the issue, his situation created it. You can argue they should have expected it, and that's fine, but lets be clear that this is about foreseeing Mac's situation, not expecting too much out of White.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Love this guy and I couldnt agree with his assesment more.

But seriously what a game from Dido, maybe he is the answer and the MacArthur replacement. He reminds me of a poor mans Mark Stone, he has some great vision and decent skill around the net. With Hoffman and Pageau both being fast players I think its ok to have a slower guy on the line, one that reads the play and can feed them because they are both more shooters than passers.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It seems clear I think that the backup plan is to use as many B-Ville players as required until they get a number of their injured regular lineup back & hope that it still keeps them in a playoff hunt. And so far it seems to be working & they continue to get pts. How long it can go on for is another question but as long as PD is not forced to make a deal that may be an overpayment he can afford to wait for the right deal to come along.

IMO if PD can sign Turris & I think he eventually will then what he really needs is a top six winger more than a centre, IF someone within doesn't win the job like a DiDomenico or White or someone else this yr. Landeskog, Duchene & Neal could all be available now or at the deadline & any one of them would help the team overall. Neal might be the cheapest option but Landeskog is much younger & would help more long term IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00