GDT: Sens in Florida Tues. 7:30 pm on TSN (XMAS Edition)

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
What a stinker. Lucky andy got is a point, i dont understand how we give up so many shots...do we need adjust our system? I think so. Also as i stated at the start we had a bad line up and needed to outwork not out skill florida. But we obviously didnt do giving away 40 shots to 16

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The way they play D is reminiscent of the way they played under MacLean. The players didn't all decide to play that way in the D-zone on their own. They play too tight a box and give up too much on the outside and behind the net which leads to many chances against and low puck possession.

There is lots wrong with this passive strategy. They won't be successful until they fix that. They need a better coach to handle those duties.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The way they play D is reminiscent of the way they played under MacLean. The players didn't all decide to play that way in the D-zone on their own. They play too tight a box and give up too much on the outside and behind the net which leads to many chances against and low puck possession.

There is lots wrong with this passive strategy. They won't be successful until they fix that. They need a better coach to handle those duties.
I agree ,but part of this has to do with personnel as well.The left side of our defense is devoid of skill,add in the lack of posession type forwards in the bottom 6 and it spells disaster

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I agree ,but part of this has to do with personnel as well.The left side of our defense is devoid of skill,add in the lack of posession type forwards in the bottom 6 and it spells disaster

Some of it is definitely a lack of skill....but I think a lot of it is a general lack of hockey IQ on the blueline (not including Karlsson, of course). It's like they have to play that tight box because they don't have the ability to read the play and anticipate that well, and need that extra half second of distance and visual range to be able to process what is happening in front of them. Very robotic with a lot of guys how they play...you can tell they don't play on instincts or feel of the game.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is as disinterested as I've ever been in a Sens season.

I think it has to do with me being so into the Jays run and then the Sens being so mediocre, that my care meter is low.

Not to mention I wholly dislike Cameron.

Me too. I just don't seem to really care what happens with this team and am not worried for the season but for the franchise overall. We just seem to be spinning our tires in mediocrity and I don't see anything changing that other than a change in ownership where we are able to take a few risks. Every team that has won has had cap issues that they knew would be risky ventures but needed to be done in order to put them over the top, ala Dallas this year. They paid the same guys that we decided weren't worth it and had a solid core of D along with franchise players up front.

If Bianco isn't spending hours bashing Cowen after a game he has played, probably means he played pretty well

Or he is just tired and growing apathetic to raging against him.

For the record I still think he works as a #5/6 guy with 8 minutes a night with some PK time.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
That was one of the most pitiful efforts I have ever seen out of the Senators.

8 shots in the 1st
4 shots in the 2nd
2 shots in the 3rd
2 shots in OT

Took 5 minors + the chiasson high sticking that wasn't called.

lmao we managed 8 shots in the final 45 minutes of play! 8!!

The more I think about it,the more embarrassing it really is. I'm not sure how you can't be ashamed of an effort like that. Man, if only we had the $ and had a guy like Babcock as our coach, imagine last nights effort with him behind the bench. *******s would be torn to bits.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Opposing thread was good for a laugh.....things being thrown around like "Sens have no fan base" etc....there's a handful of teams that have no business commenting on other fanbases etc.... Florida is right at the top of this list....get a little taste of being decent for a minute and all of a sudden the experts pop up!

In retrospect the point is essentially a win considering the 4-5 pieces missing from the current roster....take 3 out of top 6 forwards and a top 4 dman out of any team and there gonna have a really tough time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Team looked very tired last night, Andy played well as usual and we were very lucky to snag a point. The shots against/for and the fact we gave up the lead for the 9th-10th straight game is concerning. Hopefully the time off will re-energize the squad!

Merry Christmas to all!

Lazar got hurt early in the game, and the coach reacted by barely playing Dzingle or Prince combined with Neil and Dzuirinzki's usual limited mins and the result is we're essentially playing with 2 and a half lines all night.

Further complicating matters is the 5 penalties we took (which probaby should have been more).

I get that you don't always want to have green rookies playing big mins in close games, but there are only so many players you can have playing ~10 mins or less a night and still be effective. We can't have 3 forwards playing under 8 mins, espessially when none of those guys are Neil or Dzuirinzki.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Opposing thread was good for a laugh.....things being thrown around like "Sens have no fan base" etc....there's a handful of teams that have no business commenting on other fanbases etc.... Florida is right at the top of this list....get a little taste of being decent for a minute and all of a sudden the experts pop up!

In retrospect the point is essentially a win considering the 4-5 pieces missing from the current roster....take 3 out of top 6 forwards and a top 4 dman out of any team and there gonna have a really tough time.

It's alright, the only thing Florida is known for is being a punchline for the rest of us in the USA. All of the crazies live there. They helped ruin a presidential election because they couldnt figure out which hole to punch on their voting card.

46eb807bdf23f63e1952a182c808dbf8.gif

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Shortening the bench is sort of Cameron's go-to move. He did it in the world junior when Canada was getting pummeled late by Russia. Which led to Canada not being able to keep up with he Russians. And he still reused to play all the lines.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Shortening the bench is sort of Cameron's go-to move. He did it in the world junior when Canada was getting pummeled late by Russia. Which led to Canada not being able to keep up with he Russians. And he still reused to play all the lines.

It's quite simple really. His teaching tool is benching. mistake = bench. That's a tough way to play if you are a young guy.

Another I noticed is that to me it seems like other teams are way better with their sticks. Seems like shots and passes have a hard time going though other teams, while it's so easy against us. I think this team collapses too much. This "system" is not that much different than what Maclean had. Simply a small box around the net. But the shots are still getting through, so...

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Holy ****. Those were perfectly good teeth before coming in contact with Chiasson's stick last night.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

To be fair, lots of coaches would have shortened the bench in this situation. We weren't in a back to back, we have a big break coming up, we have lots of green players in the lineup, we had an early injury.

The problem is we don't have the horses. If our top 6 forwards and top 4 D were intact, no problem with giving lines one and two 22 mins each, and distributine ~50 mins among the top 4 D, but when you have to give guys like Smith and Chiasson 20 mins, it's not going to look pretty. We had two fourth liners in our top 6, that's a big problem for any team. I'd rather have a strong 4th line and some inexperience with skill in the top 6, because at least with the 4th line you trust, you can try and get better matchups for the top 6, and give them the odd break.

In the end though, it doesn't matter how the lines were shuffled, or the icetime distributed, we had the vastly inferior lineup due to injuries, and with the game being on the road, it's hard to stack all your top guys on one line and keep them away from the checking line. Something like the lines below might look ok on paper, but when the opposition matches it's checking lines every time Turris hits the ice, it leaves some pretty questionable options.

Hoff-Turris-Stone
Prince-Zibanejad-Dzingle
Lazar-Pageau-Chiasson
Dzuirinski-Smith-Neil

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
It's quite simple really. His teaching tool is benching. mistake = bench. That's a tough way to play if you are a young guy.

Another I noticed is that to me it seems like other teams are way better with their sticks. Seems like shots and passes have a hard time going though other teams, while it's so easy against us. I think this team collapses too much. This "system" is not that much different than what Maclean had. Simply a small box around the net. But the shots are still getting through, so...

I think the lack of stick skills relates more to the collapsing system we play. Just simple physics tells you that the puck will slow down as it travels so as our players are very close to the net and collapsing, when a puck is on its way to the point or back to a player on the opposing team, our players try and knock it down or clear it when it is going at a much faster pace than when it reaches the other teams player, so they have an easier time controlling the puck.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
You know who would be amazing for this team right now.

Jacques Martin. The guy was a defensive wizard of a coach

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I just saw the Florida goal for the first time. Uhh I thought dziurzinski was suppose to be strong defensively lmao.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think most vet coaches love their vet players. Babcock does. Hitch does.

Yeah, it makes sense they trust them and I can't really argue too much with Babcock. When you're a team like Ottawa I wonder why play it safe though at this point? You're getting embarrassed on the ice in half the games we've played. The SA compared to our SF in a lot of games is just downright embarrassing.

I wish Time on Attack was actually kept by the NHL, that would be funny to see as well.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Pretty happy they stole a point on a road game they didn't play well in & got lucky with the reffing tonight for a change. I can see why DC isn't too happy with Hoffman at times he takes too many risks, dangles too much & loses the puck & loses possession of the puck a lot. A few of these guys need to play a lot smarter & safer with the puck to drive possession & take less risks as the commentator called it stop globetrotting. Hopefully now they rest, get a few guys back, regroup & make up some lost ground before the end of the yr.

At least he tries something and hes exciting

Neil chiasson and lazar its true they play safe

But they will never get half the points Hoffman is putting COMBINED!!

Ill take Hoffman anytime over those 3 even if its riskier

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Some of it is definitely a lack of skill....but I think a lot of it is a general lack of hockey IQ on the blueline (not including Karlsson, of course). It's like they have to play that tight box because they don't have the ability to read the play and anticipate that well, and need that extra half second of distance and visual range to be able to process what is happening in front of them. Very robotic with a lot of guys how they play...you can tell they don't play on instincts or feel of the game.

The more I think about it,the more embarrassing it really is. I'm not sure how you can't be ashamed of an effort like that. Man, if only we had the $ and had a guy like Babcock as our coach, imagine last nights effort with him behind the bench. *******s would be torn to bits.

Lazar got hurt early in the game, and the coach reacted by barely playing Dzingle or Prince combined with Neil and Dzuirinzki's usual limited mins and the result is we're essentially playing with 2 and a half lines all night.

Further complicating matters is the 5 penalties we took (which probaby should have been more).

I get that you don't always want to have green rookies playing big mins in close games, but there are only so many players you can have playing ~10 mins or less a night and still be effective. We can't have 3 forwards playing under 8 mins, espessially when none of those guys are Neil or Dzuirinzki.

I think a healthy group and another good defender in the 2nd pairing would go a long way. Senators do a good job of drafting and finding & developing talent, but they are also a budget team unfortunately. I think one key addition plus a healthy team would mean a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad