GDT: Sens in Florida Tues. 7:30 pm on TSN (XMAS Edition)

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Personally I think this team picks it up big time after Christmas. We have a lot of rookies and sophomores who aren't really playing up to their ability. We also have some injured veterans. We get back some healthy players, as well as Stone and others starting to pick up the slack a little bit and things will start to roll. Murray should make a trade for a true NHL 4 to 6 d-man though.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Karlsson decided to add blocking shots to his arsenal. I wonder why seemingly out of nowhere he decided to do it.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Watching the game tonight I don't remember seeing DD turn the puck over any where near as often as Hoffman & certainly didn't give up the scoring chances against that Hoffman did. I think DD plays a pretty safe game & it looks like he is doing his best to play what the coaches call the right way, he has to, he is a fringe player & can't afford not to or they send him back. Hoffman is a great goal scorer as is Karlsson & Ryan but all three dangle too much, make too many risky plays & give up too many turnovers & scoring chances because of it & Hoffman proved that again tonight. They gave up a 3 on none tonight which could have ended it in overtime. But it's understandable that everybody loves to see them dangle when it works in our favour, people on here rave about it, except when it results in a goal against. At the least tonight they did not lose it in regulation nor in overtime but in the skill competition where we can't blame any of the skaters.

So I guess you missed the pretty bad turnover in the first period by DD where FLA got 2 or 3 good shots on the net. He popped it from the boards into the middle in our own zone. Maybe there was a tall large guy outside your window that you got distracted with and missed this event. DD got benched for that after.

The difference is that Hoffman is actually trying to generate something in the offensive zone, which will create turnover sometimes. But 8 out 10 will result in something other than a turnover. With DD you get a dump in on a 3 on 2.

This was a bad game, by a bad team. The coach isn't helping at all.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It does. Mostly the problems are injuries.

This is a parity league though. Most teams are "average". Top 6 teams in our division are pretty much equal right now... Despite our poor record of late.... 3 points out of first place in the division.

Fans can be unhappy. But the reality is that about 20 hockey teams are right there with Ottawa. Good or bad. An injury to any team could ruin their record. Like Price this year. Or LA missing the playoffs last season.

We are contenders as much as most teams in the East. In fact none of Tampa, Montreal, Rangers, Caps scare me much.

I just hope we get healthy soon amd stop this slide.

My only disagreement with you is how badly we've gotten outshot for most of the year. I still think that's a pretty big warning flag about the state of our team

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is as disinterested as I've ever been in a Sens season.

I think it has to do with me being so into the Jays run and then the Sens being so mediocre, that my care meter is low.

Not to mention I wholly dislike Cameron.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
That was one of the most pitiful efforts I have ever seen out of the Senators.

8 shots in the 1st
4 shots in the 2nd
2 shots in the 3rd
2 shots in OT

Took 5 minors + the chiasson high sticking that wasn't called.

lmao we managed 8 shots in the final 45 minutes of play! 8!!

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is as disinterested as I've ever been in a Sens season.

I think it has to do with me being so into the Jays run and then the Sens being so mediocre, that my care meter is low.

Completely agree. I've already missed more games so far this year than I usually do in the entire season.

Multiple times I've turned the game off after a couple periods, or when I do have it on I'm doing other things as well.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

I am starting to lose interest as well. Same thing game after game. Giving up tons of shots game after game and generally just bad defense. It is just not entertaining at all watching the sens get dominated when it comes to puck possession.

Do we even have a system? It feels like this team never controls the puck in the offensive zone like other teams do. They either score off of rushes or defensive mistakes by the other team.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa

macarthur eventually returning and adding a D at trade deadline is my light at the end of the tunnel

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
With Smith in your top 6 and on your 1st powerplay while Cowen, Boro and Wier inhabiting 3 of the top 6 spots on d... are we really surprised why we

1) Are falling
2) Are so outshot constantly?

Not to mention having atrocious puck possession guys in bottom 6 like Neil, Dizzy, Chiasson

On a real contender... only Dizzy is on the bottom 6 and Boro/Wier on our D, the rest are better options.

SoCalSens

Mar 18, 2015
With Smith in your top 6 and on your 1st powerplay while Cowen, Boro and Wier inhabiting 3 of the top 6 spots on d... are we really surprised why we

1) Are falling
2) Are so outshot constantly?

Not to mention having atrocious puck possession guys in bottom 6 like Neil, Dizzy, Chiasson

On a real contender... only Dizzy is on the bottom 6 and Boro/Wier on our D, the rest are better options.

We are what we are. Some players we hoped would breakout (zbad, lazar) didn't. We've also had some predictable injuries (Mcarthur and Milo). This is our team right now. The former two are not going to win us **** this year and the later two will come back worse . This is it until our GM does something. It's all Bmur (GM) from here. If he makes moves, we do stuff, if he doesn't we don't do stuff.

Murray, melnick. Get your **** together and get a cup before you are both gone

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You know the effort level was poor and we got absolutely dominated for most of the game, but I'm having a hard time being negative towards the team right now. Just so many injuries to key contributors - Ryan, MacArthur, Ceci, Michalek and Lazar are all out, and we've had recent injuries to Turris, Zibanejad and Boro. Any team would have trouble winning games with that many injured players, let alone a top-heavy team like the Sens that was projected to be on the bubble this year.

Smith - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Dziurzynski - Pageau - Neil
Prince - Dzingel - ???

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wideman
Wiercioch - Borowiecki

Anderson

If that was the on-paper roster we started the season with we'd be projected to be a bottom 5 team in the league, and rightfully so. No matter how coach Cameron configures the lines, that roster is not capable of making the playoffs.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Its been said before

This team is carried by a few players and good goal tending. We have very little quality depth and leaky defense. Our top guys can score that's the plus. If we get injuries in our top 5 forwards like we do now it makes it tough to compete. We need to score more on less shots to win on most nights.

DC is going to have to let the young guys play through their mistakes. They are the ones that can improve and make a difference at some point.

That's exactly how the winning streak happened at the end of last season. Neil, Phillips, Smith all on the shelf, and Cameron had no choice but to play the kids.

We're seeing right now the streak wasn't about the coaching change at all...but the pattern of injuries last year. If Neil, Smith and Phillips were healthy and good to go, they would have led us to a lottery pick instead of the playoffs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You know the effort level was poor and we got absolutely dominated for most of the game, but I'm having a hard time being negative towards the team right now. Just so many injuries to key contributors - Ryan, MacArthur, Ceci, Michalek and Lazar are all out, and we've had recent injuries to Turris, Zibanejad and Boro. Any team would have trouble winning games with that many injured players, let alone a top-heavy team like the Sens that was projected to be on the bubble this year.

Smith - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Dziurzynski - Pageau - Neil
Prince - Dzingel - ???

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Wideman
Wiercioch - Borowiecki

Anderson

If that was the on-paper roster we started the season with we'd be projected to be a bottom 5 team in the league, and rightfully so. No matter how coach Cameron configures the lines, that roster is not capable of making the playoffs.

I guess at the end of the day, the frustration is with a couple issues;

1. The team often appears to lack the effort required to win when you don't have the skill in the lineup. Other teams like Toronto have low skill rosters, but manage to look better in loses because the compete level is very high. That doesn't always translate to wins, but at least the optics are good.

2. In the past, when injuries hit, we've had success elevating the roles of younger players. This year, we're elevating the bottom 6 vets. On a site that appeals to prospect junkies, that's going to get some ire.

3. Shots against has been a problem for a while. Roster makeup is part of the problem, but do Carolina, NJD, Buffalo, have such better defensive teams that they should be allowing 5-8 fewer shots a night? Heck, Columbus, Edmonton and Philly allow fewer shots than us.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
With the injuries our team has, I can't fault them too much for the way they have been playing, but yeah that was bad last night, definitely lucky to leave there with a point.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

This is the most Sens games I've missed watching this year perhaps ever, some of it is due to life some of it is due to the NHL in general and some is do to this team.

We are just so boring, it makes it very hard to watch night in and night out. When I do watch the games it's strictly because I'm a huge fan and it feels like a chore this season.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Team looked very tired last night, Andy played well as usual and we were very lucky to snag a point. The shots against/for and the fact we gave up the lead for the 9th-10th straight game is concerning. Hopefully the time off will re-energize the squad!

Merry Christmas to all!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We were so bad in the faceoff dot ,yet we continue to use out best left handed center as winger :shakehead,dont really understand why you call up skilled kids then put in positions,to fail .Just play our damn kids ,its not like we have much to lose:rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad