Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Detroit, Sat. 2:00 pm on HNIC

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
We're talking about Detroit here, right?

You can only make so much lemonade when the lemons life gave you are rotten and moldy.

Hey hey now. It’s home of some of the best food I’ve been had, the Arabian food is amazing. Some of the best best architecture I’ve ever seen (old gothic) and some of the coolest places and people I’ve ever been to for music venues and bars.

I’m of the opinion if you put in a little effort no matter what city you go you can have a great time.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's 20.

I wish we could be patient as a fanbase about these sorts of things.

I don't think he's a bust mind you.

Just that I don't have high expectations based on what I have seen of him at the NHL.

I have been wrong before, I was wholly unimpressed by Hoffman at first. However, based of what I have seen of White I do have high expectations for him.

I also thought Claesson would rise up the challenge this year. That most definitely did not happen but I still think he has what it takes to be a good player in the NHL.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I have a feeling that Bobby Ryan will turn around his game soon. He’s had a tough couple of years with injuries, his mom passing, etc. Add to that becoming a first time parent and that is a lot for a person to deal with.
I dunno, I just feel like he’s talented enough to get back to 50 pts and being a good veteran presence in the playoffs. That’s my hope anyway. I think he can do it.
Don't forget his neighbour sometimes put snow in his driveway so he has to take care of that too
He's pretty busy even if he's a professional hockey player paid more then 7MM$ a year

Floating around and having to get up after falling 34 times game is tiring too

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah im not running Chlappy out of town or losing patience either, im just not seeing anything yet that warrants penciling him into the top 9 next year already. But he's got time to grow, still unsure into what though.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I have a feeling that Bobby Ryan will turn around his game soon. He’s had a tough couple of years with injuries, his mom passing, etc. Add to that becoming a first time parent and that is a lot for a person to deal with.
I dunno, I just feel like he’s talented enough to get back to 50 pts and being a good veteran presence in the playoffs. That’s my hope anyway. I think he can do it.

He's done.

If Dorion manages to get rid of him without losing EK, it might go a long way in fixing this franchise(but it won't happen).

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
Oh and this was one of the worst live games I’ve ever seen. The effort by both teams was zero. It was pathetic.

Agreed just brutal in person .. pre season level intensity.

Other then Pageau no other forward seemed to even give a noticeable effort without the puck.

Down two and they pass up open shots for low percentage passes that get broken up or picked off.

Glad the end result is a positive for the lottery but wholy f*** have some pride.

Patience with the young guys they all need to hit the weight room and come to camp stronger for sure.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Its good we are losing,we need a high pick...But next season the laziness and sloppy play must end....We need a coach that can teach this team how to play hard every shift

And on the entire ice surface rather than only 2/3 of it.

Even then, the defensive strategy and ability of this team sucks.

The PP sucks. The PK sucks. The ES sucks.

Reactions: topshelf15

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hey hey now. It’s home of some of the best food I’ve been had, the Arabian food is amazing. Some of the best best architecture I’ve ever seen (old gothic) and some of the coolest places and people I’ve ever been to for music venues and bars.

I’m of the opinion if you put in a little effort no matter what city you go you can have a great time.

You got that right about the food.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Hey, I've been to Detroit. There's definitely hidden gems and wonderful parts to the city, I'm not denying that.

The issue is available developmental land in the downtown core, and the demographic spread of wealth that left the city center 50 years ago and has never returned. If you want to build in downtown Detroit, there are significant challenges, beginning with some of the poorest residential neighborhoods in the country. The area that Little Caesars Arena was built in has some of the cheapest rents in the entire state, some of the highest vacancy & abandoned property rates in the country, and is in the 99.9th percentile (no, I'm not making that number up) for poorest neighborhoods in the entire country.

Detroit has some charming spots, but it is otherwise a bankrupt, corrupt, barely functioning city. To deny the major hurdles that any developer needs to overcome within the city center seems ludicrous. I'm not putting Detroit down as a city you can't have a good time in, I'm simply pointing out the obvious issues that plague any major development within city limits.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

Harry's, a block away from the arena, is fantastic. And the Masonic Temple is awe-inspiring, and hosted roller derby one night I was there, and Judas Priest is there tonight. I really want to catch a show there. Once that whole are is revitalized, it will be fantastic. For now, it has the cache of being in a dangerous area.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It is hard to look at Detroit these days. Hundreds of beautiful turn of the century gorgeous brick homes rotting away. So many abandoned lots and small businesses. Everywhere you look there is so much renovation potential, yet a big chunk of the city is left to rot.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Hey, I've been to Detroit. There's definitely hidden gems and wonderful parts to the city, I'm not denying that.

The issue is available developmental land in the downtown core, and the demographic spread of wealth that left the city center 50 years ago and has never returned. If you want to build in downtown Detroit, there are significant challenges, beginning with some of the poorest residential neighborhoods in the country. The area that Little Caesars Arena was built in has some of the cheapest rents in the entire state, some of the highest vacancy & abandoned property rates in the country, and is in the 99.9th percentile (no, I'm not making that number up) for poorest neighborhoods in the entire country.

Detroit has some charming spots, but it is otherwise a bankrupt, corrupt, barely functioning city. To deny the major hurdles that any developer needs to overcome within the city center seems ludicrous. I'm not putting Detroit down as a city you can't have a good time in, I'm simply pointing out the obvious issues that plague any major development within city limits.

Yeah I remember you making posts about your time in the city and I have a lot of responses to what you said as far as ideas of how to get the city back on track but I drank way too much tonight to even talk about the potential ways to revitalize many areas. :laugh:

But I still think it’s an exciting time for that area (I don’t even consider myself a resident of that area nowadays but I I wish them the best) and once global warming really hits Detroit will be the new San Diego anyway :nod:

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Harry's, a block away from the arena, is fantastic. And the Masonic Temple is awe-inspiring, and hosted roller derby one night I was there, and Judas Priest is there tonight. I really want to catch a show there. Once that whole are is revitalized, it will be fantastic. For now, it has the cache of being in a dangerous area.

I was just at Temple Bar and then went to see Nick Cave at the Masonic earlier this year. Such an amazing show.

Reactions: Flamingo

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah I remember you making posts about your time in the city and I have a lot of responses to what you said as far as ideas of how to get the city back on track but I drank way too much tonight to even talk about the potential ways to revitalize many areas. :laugh:

But I still think it’s an exciting time for that area (I don’t even consider myself a resident of that area nowadays but I I wish them the best) and once global warming really hits Detroit will be the new San Diego anyway :nod:

The time to invest in Detroit is now.

It's gonna take a long, long time but I am confident Detroit will eventually become a model city for the US: how to go bankrupt and rise from the ashes.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I dream of eating Middle Eastern food in Deer Park/Detroit.

I miss Tel Aviv...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The time to invest in Detroit is now.

It's gonna take a long, long time but I am confident Detroit will eventually become a model city for the US: how to go bankrupt and rise from the ashes.

Detroit needs a new "anchor tenant". Some huge company willing to relocate there because they can knock down 20 square blocks of dilapidated infrastructure and set up a national HQ, which raises property values within close distances to that HQ, which spurs in-fill redevelopment in the surrounding areas, etc.... or some similar mass-development deal.

Detroit is going to have to give a sweetheart deal to someone willing to make a huge investment in the city.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Detroit needs a new "anchor tenant". Some huge company willing to relocate there because they can knock down 20 square blocks of dilapidated infrastructure and set up a national HQ, which raises property values within close distances to that HQ, which spurs in-fill redevelopment in the surrounding areas, etc.... or some similar mass-development deal.

Detroit is going to have to give a sweetheart deal to someone willing to make a huge investment in the city.

The Transformers Animated cartoon series from about 10 years ago (which is actually pretty good) took this idea. Robotics revitalized Detroit.

Having grown up halfway between Detroit and Toronto, I’m sad to see the city deteriorate the way it has. One of my favourite memories is going to Tiger Staium.

Even 35 years ago, the scariest part of driving south was making sure you didn’t take a wrong turn getting from the bridge/tunnel to the I75. Better just to cross at Sarnia/Port Huron and stay on the highway.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I share your lack of enthusiasm in regards to Chlapik.

I don't see much upside to him.

Did anyone else notice how many times Bob Cole called him Hoffman? They both have 8s on their backs, so they must be the same guy, right?

While I'm at it, did anyone else watch Dumb Cherry last night?

What was this "The worst trade of all" comment he made (right about the 3:30 mark) concerning Mark Methot about, it just shows how "in touch" he is these days.

Should we ask him "who came back in that worst trade of all"?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Did anyone else notice how many times Bob Cole called him Hoffman? They both have 8s on their backs, so they must be the same guy, right?

While I'm at it, did anyone else watch Dumb Cherry last night?

What was this "The worst trade of all" comment he made (right about the 3:30 mark) concerning Mark Methot about, it just shows how "in touch" he is these days.

Should we ask him "who came back in that worst trade of all"?

Not nearly as clueless as Don's take the previous week!

Reactions: Deku

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The Transformers Animated cartoon series from about 10 years ago (which is actually pretty good) took this idea. Robotics revitalized Detroit.

Man, that's not even a fictional good idea, that's just flat out a good idea.

Robotics is going to be a huge industry. Any city with an eye to the future should be begging for companies to invest into their communities by setting up robotics infrastructure there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad