GDT: SENS in California (San Jose), Sat. 10:00pm on SportsNet

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
I like the thought of playoffs, but also the thought of adding a nice prospect for the future.
With that being said Sens will finish 17th

Reactions: Cosmix

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You can look at it through a pessimistic viewpoint and think it's impossible, or you can look at it through a positive viewpoint. What I said isn't false, it's a fact that they're 5 points out of a playoff spot. There's 55 games left to be played. You really think 5 points can't be made up in 55 games?

I don't think you understand that it's not just the 5 points, it's much more.

The Senators are in a race, for the third spot in the Atlantic, and they have to pass four teams to get into third place, in the Atlantic........... the problem is that the other four teams are also in the race, and are not going to let up and allow the Senators to get past them, without a fight for the same spot.

Last season, on the 9th of December, Tampa bay was "only" 4 points behind Ottawa in the standing. Using your logic, with each team having played only 27 games in the season, with 55 games remaining, the Lightning should have been able to catch, pass and hold onto a playoff spot, in the Division ......... right?

Well guess what, Ottawa did not stand still, and neither did any of the other teams in the Division, and Tampa ended the season, still 4 points behind the Senators after the remaining (for both teams) 55 games were played.

You don't seem to understand that it is not as easy as it looks, to pass teams, get into a playoff spot, and hold onto to that playoff spot until the end of the season.

Ottawa finished the season with 98 points. To do the same this season, they would have to play at a 0.664 (P%) rate, for the remainder of the season, beginning tonight. So far this season, they've played at a .655 (P%) rate...... and I'm going to ask you what do you see, that makes you believe they can go from a .463 to a .664???

That's like going from the way they've played so far this season (0.463), to better than the Jets have played (.655 P%) so far this season... and maintain that for the rest of the season.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
At this point, I don't want the Sens to push for a playoff spot at all. I'd much rather have a top 5 pick this season than finish 4-6 points out of the playoffs and lose our draft pick to Colorado, while getting no high-end help for next season.

Reactions: Cosmix

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

The Senators are in a race, for the third spot in the Atlantic, and they have to pass four teams to get into third place, in the Atlantic........... the problem is that the other four teams are also in the race, and are not going to let up and allow the Senators to get past them, without a fight for the same spot.

Last season, on the 9th of December, Tampa bay was "only" 4 points behind Ottawa in the standing. Using your logic, with each team having played only 27 games in the season, with 55 games remaining, the Lightning should have been able to catch, pass and hold onto a playoff spot, in the Division ......... right?

Well guess what, Ottawa did not stand still, and neither did any of the other teams in the Division, and Tampa ended the season, still 4 points behind the Senators after the remaining (for both teams) 55 games were played.

You don't seem to understand that it is not as easy as it looks, to pass teams, get into a playoff spot, and hold onto to that playoff spot until the end of the season.

Ottawa finished the season with 98 points. To do the same this season, they would have to play at a 0.664 (P%) rate, for the remainder of the season, beginning tonight. So far this season, they've played at a .655 (P%) rate...... and I'm going to ask you what do you see, that makes you believe they can go from a .463 to a .664???

That's like going from the way they've played so far this season (0.463), to better than the Jets have played (.655 P%) so far this season... and maintain that for the rest of the season.

I'm all about optimism and having a positive outlook, but realism is also important and this post does a great job summing up why the Senators have a very tough road ahead of them if they want to make the playoffs.

At this point, I've realized we are probably not getting in the playoffs this year, and if we end up there, it'll be a nice pleasant surprise. This run of losses has most likely killed our season. It is what it is.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I'm all about optimism and having a positive outlook, but realism is also important and this post does a great job summing up why the Senators have a very tough road ahead of them if they want to make the playoffs.

At this point, I've realized we are probably not getting in the playoffs this year, and if we end up there, it'll be a nice pleasant surprise. This run of losses has most likely killed our season. It is what it is.

I think the outdoor game vs the Canadiens on the 16th, plus the two games vs the Bruins coming up on the 27th and the 30th, will go a long way to clarify in the minds of most fans, how the rest of the season will unfold.

Today it looks like a long uphill battle at best, but if the Senators fail to get points in those three games, they will most likley become "sellers" at the trade deadline, with not that much to sell.

It's pretty much looking like a date with the Lottery, so here it is.... NHL Lottery Simulator - NHL Draft Odds

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago

DQazufhUQAAlADs.jpg:large

Reactions: Back in Black

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
At this point, I don't want the Sens to push for a playoff spot at all. I'd much rather have a top 5 pick this season than finish 4-6 points out of the playoffs and lose our draft pick to Colorado, while getting no high-end help for next season.

I don’t want Dorion to make any more trades. He has done enough damage to the future of this team. I fear he will become so desperate to make the playoffs that he will sell top prospects and draft picks to get older over the hill players to try to get there.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I don’t want Dorion to make any more trades. He has done enough damage to the future of this team. I fear he will become so desperate to make the playoffs that he will sell top prospects and draft picks to get older over the hill players to try to get there.

I really don't think the future has been "damaged" that badly. Sometimes you have to take your shot, and it almost got us a Stanley Cup.

Now, at this point I am not really sure he should take his shot again, we look poor this season I would just roll with what we have.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

You conveniently left Toronto out of this scenario, you know the team that was 28th in the league and 8th in the division on that same day. Obviously the road ahead is going to be difficult but you can find one team each year that did the same thing, at the moment theres no reason to believe they would, though things can change quickly. The thing that should keep some hope alive, is the layout of the schedule. It's not by accident that the later half of the schedule has been heavy on divisional opponents.

Reactions: Back in Black

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

Wow when you put it this way it's incredibly overwhelming...

My only hope is that we at least take some more chances offensively so we can get some entertaining games to close out the season

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Dorion probably missed the window to rid ourselves of Ryan's contract. This past off season was the perfect time with him coming off that playoff run and the expansion draft. We should have made a deal with Vegas to send him to Nevada so we could keep Methot. We're probably stuck with that albatross until the next go at expansion

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Thank god we are going back to Anderson and keeping Oduya in there, can't afford to climb the standings.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
Unfortunately, this is exactly what’s going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad