GDT: SENS in Calgary, Friday night 9:00 pm on TSN

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I just find it so odd that a guy like Hoffman who in game can beat a goalie clean with just his shot, can't do the same in a shootout situation, while Turris seems to be perfectly able to beat goalies with his shot in shootouts.

It's also worth pointing out that shootout records can flip pretty quickly with a streak; for most guys three straight shootout goals would skyrocket their overall record.
If I had to bet the farm on Hoffman vs Burrows, Neil, or even Pyatt on the shootout I would go with Hoffman... but I would have let Gretz shoot in Nagano too

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Could still go with 7d even if Oduya is back.

I like our coaching compared to Cameron, that was really quite bad and difficult to watch.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am adamant that a deke is better than a shot and then Turris and Stone win the game off of shots, so what the hell do I know?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I just find it so odd that a guy like Hoffman who in game can beat a goalie clean with just his shot, can't do the same in a shootout situation, while Turris seems to be perfectly able to beat goalies with his shot in shootouts.

It's also worth pointing out that shootout records can flip pretty quickly with a streak; for most guys three straight shootout goals would skyrocket their overall record.
Hoffman is mostly a perimeter shooter

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am adamant that a deke is better than a shot and then Turris and Stone win the game off of shots, so what the hell do I know?

I go if the goalie is out at the top of his crease deke, and if he's back in the net shoot

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Disagree. For example Mike Hoffman is bad at shootouts and so are guys like Ovechkin. Their bread and butter is not one on one with a goalie. I'm not saying they can't score, I am saying anyone could score a shootout goal.

I hate shootouts regardless.

Your posts consistently astound me.

Ovechkin literally just scored in the shootout against the sens.

More talented players that score more in regular games consistently are better at shootouts. What you are saying is every player is equal at scoring in shootouts which is outrageous.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He over coaches. Putting guys on their off side, forcing a 'system' no matter what, not just putting his best players out in crucial situations (see the power play and the shootout).

I see this as another example of this. He's looking ahead to Saturday. Not a fan of the move. It doesn't really matter anyways, it only slightly changes the odds.

I see Boucher's ego being a problem in the long run.

C'mon, all the players bought into the System last season, and they came one goal short of advancing to a sure win vs Nashville, for a Cup ........... no one is being forced into a system, they're all on board.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

There a HUGE difference between following the puck around in the defensive zone, being screened by opposition players and your own D man, and Hoffmann one timing a puck though all the distractions .......... vs, watching him, and focusing on him and him alone as he picks up the puck at Center ice on a shootout. Think about traveling through the GTA on the 401 during rush hour, vs driving on a clear open freeway, with no other cars for miles.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Guy has a system for reason, it works. Stop crying about Chabot having to play his offside, which he apparently isn't even doing this game. The kid is doing just fine, and might even be earning a roster spot as we speak.

Oh and we played some of our best shootout guys, Hoff isn't one of them.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There a HUGE difference between following the puck around in the defensive zone, being screened by opposition players and your own D man, and Hoffmann one timing a puck though all the distractions .......... vs, watching him, and focusing on him and him alone as he picks up the puck at Center ice on a shootout. Think about traveling through the GTA on the 401 during rush hour, vs driving on a clear open freeway, with no other cars for miles.

But that's not what I'm taking about. Hoffman has shown the ability to beat goalies that are in position and out to challenge him with no screens. He's also shown the ability to score on breakaways. He can deke, shoot, whatever. The skillset is there, the execution just isn't.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Man, watch Lazar go off with Jagr tonight *touch wood*.

In all seriousness, should be a great game and a great night of sports. Calgary giving up a lot of shots so far so hopefully the Sens can get in front of the net for some of them. A tough game, but I feel a winnable one. So much sports to watch tonight. Stamps/TiCats, Sens/Flames, REDBLACKS/Riders. Go Sens!

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The most intriguing part of this game is seeing how Claesson is deployed after playing so much against Vancouver. Was that just a 1 time thing based on him having a great game? We had 7D dressed, and he still played 26 minutes which might have been a career high for him.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
C'mon, all the players bought into the System last season, and they came one goal short of advancing to a sure win vs Nashville, for a Cup ........... no one is being forced into a system, they're all on board.

I appreciate Boucher for putting in place a defensive system on a team that was one of the worst in GAA before he took over. That makes sense to me. It was a good call.

However, the run the Sens went on had a lot more to do with the individual performance of Erik Karlsson. He carried the Sens as hard as I've ever seen a player carry a team in the playoffs before besides maybe Pronger back in 06. I'd much rather build around the talent of star players than a coaching philosophy.

We should be transitioning into a better offensive team now that Boucher has taught his team a way to be conservative. But instead of emphasizing the Chabots and Karlssons, we're back to a big emphasis on the Borowieckis, Pyatts and Thompsons of the world. Its very frustrating to watch because clearly the team didn't take improving the powerplay or offense very seriously in the off season or training camp.

IMO we lower the ceiling on this team if we continue to play this way Boucher demands and neglect usage of our young players. He's repeating what he did in Tampa. That's very concerning.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I appreciate Boucher for putting in place a defensive system on a team that was one of the worst in GAA before he took over. That makes sense to me. It was a good call.

However, the run the Sens went on had a lot more to do with the individual performance of Erik Karlsson. He carried the Sens as hard as I've ever seen a player carry a team in the playoffs before besides maybe Pronger back in 06. I'd much rather build around the talent of star players than a coaching philosophy.

We should be transitioning into a better offensive team now that Boucher has taught his team a way to be conservative. But instead of emphasizing the Chabots and Karlssons, we're back to a big emphasis on the Borowieckis, Pyatts and Thompsons of the world. Its very frustrating to watch because clearly the team didn't take improving the powerplay or offense very seriously in the off season or training camp.

IMO we lower the ceiling on this team if we continue to play this way Boucher demands and neglect usage of our young players. He's repeating what he did in Tampa. That's very concerning.

LMAO no it didn't . Without Anderson, Pageau, Ryan, Macarthur, Brass and many others taking their game to the next level we would not have made it that far no matter how good Karlsson was. countless OT winners by Phaneuf, Ryan, Mac were all clutch plays and Andy making some really good saves in dying moments in close games.

Stop acting like Chabot is a seasoned vet who has an endless resume of NHL experience and points. How the sens are handling him is just fine and right now we need him and he is getting playing time. He still has to develop and is far from a finished product which is why he was sent down in the first place. Boucher does not neglect young players when guys like Claesson and Dzingel were put in positions to make an impact last game. He literally feeds Ceci to the wolves and gets roasted for it by the same people who want to see Chabot put in the same position.

If Chabot is as good as you think he will find his way onto the roster just like Wideman, Claesson and Dzingel did under Boucher.

Reactions: Xspyrit

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Your posts consistently astound me.

Ovechkin literally just scored in the shootout against the sens.

More talented players that score more in regular games consistently are better at shootouts. What you are saying is every player is equal at scoring in shootouts which is outrageous.

He's not entirely wrong (although I don't agree with you that he's saying all players are equal in the shootout). Ovechkin - and other elite goalscorers - are not typically especially good in the shootout. Generally, the most productive players are playmakers. Some notable counter-examples are Oshie, Zibanejad, Boyes, Vanek, Silfverberg, Steen, and Parise - all of whom would be considered shoot-first players who are elite in the shootout. That said, the guys who historically do the best tend to be considered "playmakers" - such as Pirri, J. Jokinen, Barkov, Josefnson (??), Zuccarello, Seguin, Nielsen, Toews, Handzus, Parenteau, Kuznetsov, Santorelli, Koivu, Letestu, Desharnais, Crosby, Pomminville, Datsyuk, Holland, Kane, Cullen, Kopitar... there is a definite pattern imo - you need some goalscoring ability to be productive in the shootout, but after a certain point I think increases in regular goal-scoring ability stops translating to increases in shoot-out goal-scoring.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
He's not entirely wrong (although I don't agree with you that he's saying all players are equal in the shootout). Ovechkin - and other elite goalscorers - are not typically especially good in the shootout. Generally, the most productive players are playmakers. Some notable counter-examples are Oshie, Zibanejad, Boyes, Vanek, Silfverberg, Steen, and Parise - all of whom would be considered shoot-first players who are elite in the shootout. That said, the guys who historically do the best tend to be considered "playmakers" - such as Pirri, J. Jokinen, Barkov, Josefnson (??), Zuccarello, Seguin, Nielsen, Toews, Handzus, Parenteau, Kuznetsov, Santorelli, Koivu, Letestu, Desharnais, Crosby, Pomminville, Datsyuk, Holland, Kane, Cullen, Kopitar... there is a definite pattern imo - you need some goalscoring ability to be productive in the shootout, but after a certain point I think increases in regular goal-scoring ability stops translating to increases in shoot-out goal-scoring.

Ovechkin's not bad in the shootout, though. He has one very rough year where Washington had 17 shootouts and he scored twice. Outside of that, he's gone 19 for 51 [37%]. That's solid. Even with the bad year, he's at 31% in the shootout. Not great, but not bad.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Ovechkin's not bad in the shootout, though. He has one very rough year where Washington had 17 shootouts and he scored twice. Outside of that, he's gone 19 for 51 [37%]. That's solid. Even with the bad year, he's at 31% in the shootout. Not great, but not bad.

He's definitely not bad. He's just not amongst the leagues elite when it comes to shootouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad