Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Buffalo (Snowstorm Edition), Tuesday night 7:00 pm on TSN

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
What's one thing common with all our head coaches of the past decade plus?

They haven't gotten a head coaching job in the NHL again.

There's a reason for that.

This seems similar.

For such a smart hockey guy, Boucher is so stubborn and stupid.
People can talk about how we go through coaches like underwear, but we aren't exactly getting reputable ones. It's clear that Melnyk doesn't put much stock into coaching judging by what he said a year and a half ago about potentially getting Julien.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
My greatest fear right now is that we'll start playing the kids (Chabot, White, Harpur) in prominent roles and that will be just enough to get us to the 11th OA pick

Honestly, I'd rather lose the 11th overall this year and know for sure we keep our 2019 pick, than to pick this year with next year beign a complete unknown (how well we will compete).

Reactions: branch

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
What's one thing common with all our head coaches of the past decade plus?

They haven't gotten a head coaching job in the NHL again.

There's a reason for that.

This seems similar.

For such a smart hockey guy, Boucher is so stubborn and stupid.

The one thing in common they all have is that they're all "bargain bin" coaches. I doubt any of those guys save mayyyyybe Boucher would have gotten a chance to be a head coach in the NHL if Melnyk and co. weren't desperate to save a few dollars.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd like to know how upset the players were over the turris trade. Seems like a possibility they stopped playing for the "guy" who was chosen over their buddy.
I accept that that is part of the mix that makes up the problem.. I'm hearing ... fire the coach... how does that help here? What is the purpose of firing the coach... Is the coach unwilling to accept ideas from Dorion on what players to play.., Does Dorion want to die on Boucher's sword by not intervening or will he push Boucher for answers and a new direction.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I actually like MacLean, but his last year he definitely lost the room.

MacLean adapted his stratedgy when Spezza, Anderson, Karlsson, and Michelek all went down to injury.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While my guess is that Crawford would probably become head coach for the rest of the season what other good coaches are out there?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
gord asks guy "whats wrong, its almost the same lineup as last year?" and boucher is quick to stop him "no. no its not. We're missing a lot of key guys from last year."
He didn't say "missing a lot of key guys". But I believe he talked about chemistry.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
My greatest fear right now is that we'll start playing the kids (Chabot, White, Harpur) in prominent roles and that will be just enough to get us to the 11th OA pick
Unlikely imo .. but its possible if the core get their acts together with the changes

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Honestly, I'd rather lose the 11th overall this year and know for sure we keep our 2019 pick, than to pick this year with next year beign a complete unknown (how well we will compete).

I feel like we`re on route for a top 3 pick right now, and our roster isn't as bad as our record, so idk,

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I miss John Holmes calling Maclean potato head and trashing him all the time.

I feel like this is pretty revisionist with Maclean, no? People for the most part hated his lineups and ice time distribution the year he got canned.

I liked Maclean and thought he had a raw deal. He coached here the year Alfie left after being the captain for so many years and Spezza- who had already asked to be traded-was made captain.
That did not go well.

And Melnyk wanted Cameron to be coach.

Most of the coaches after Martin and Murray were pretty bad,but I thought Maclean was a good one.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So more of the same will make things better?

Telling the media that the team isn't good right now and that something needs to change isn't going to surprise anyone. I didn't say he should call out individuals.

What he says to media isn't going to make anything on the ice better but it sure as hell can make it worse. He doesn't need to call out individuals to make things worse in the room. Believe it or not he is still trying to salvage the season. Maybe in the new year he changes his tune, but right now it's still too early.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I feel like we`re on route for a top 3 pick right now, and our roster isn't as bad as our record, so idk,

True. But Erik is the wildcard. If things go screwy this summer or into next season and we are forced to move him....next year could be worse.

Just too many unknowns right now...

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It blows my mind that a player who is clearly winded gets pulled from the game because of concussion protocol but a guy grabbing his head gets to stay in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad