GDT: Sens host Preds 7pm ET SN1: empty sausage edition

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Love Michalek up with Turris and Stone, we know they have chemistry.

Move Hoffman to Zibby and Ryan. Maybe he sparks them. Last chance for the Zibby-Ryan pairing. If that fails, you break them up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
19 goals scored in six games is impressive until one looks a little closer.

15 of the 19 were scored in three games.

7 against Columbus and a total of 8 against what most of the pundits would predict are non-playoff teams in Buffalo and Toronto.

In the remaining three games against teams that are likely playoff contenders, four goals produced and the HST line was shutdown in two of those games.

IMO Cameron has to at least consider breaking them up for more a more balanced top six.

Maybe the fact that the two of those games were in the second half of a back to back, and one of those back to back games was the 3rd game in 4 nights had something to do with the team lacking energy.

But I like your explanation better. Fits the "sky is falling" motif this board seems to enjoy so much.

All that said, I'm not against breaking up the HST line, nor am I for it, but it really depends on the situation. If we're on the road, it makes sense. Make it harder to match up against us. At home, we can take advantage of last change with the HST. Ideally, we have multiple options with chemistry together, so that when things aren't working, we can change the look and see if that brings results.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If I were GM:

Neil would get to game 1000 then rarely play.

Smith and Wiercioch would be traded for best offer.

Call up O'Dell + Robinson. Send down Lazar for 30-40 AHL games.

MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Pageau-Ryan
Prince-Zibanejad-Michalek
Chiasson-O'Dell-Robinson
Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Boro-Wideman
Should be Wikstrand / Claesson

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
splitting HST is not the solution

only line that bails us out

Its mind blowing to me that anyone wants to break up the only line thats working.

3 of the top 20 scorers in the NHL and 2 in the top 10. This board is getting really difficult to engage, so many posters have personal agendas with specific players and there personal success that you cant look at this team with any sense of realism.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe the fact that the two of those games were in the second half of a back to back, and one of those back to back games was the 3rd game in 4 nights had something to do with the team lacking energy.

But I like your explanation better. Fits the "sky is falling" motif this board seems to enjoy so much.

All that said, I'm not against breaking up the HST line, nor am I for it, but it really depends on the situation. If we're on the road, it makes sense. Make it harder to match up against us. At home, we can take advantage of last change with the HST. Ideally, we have multiple options with chemistry together, so that when things aren't working, we can change the look and see if that brings results.

Great post and I agree the only situation that HST gets split up is on the road for matchups because of last change but even then I really only see the point if the team is really struggling.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Its mind blowing to me that anyone wants to break up the only line thats working.

3 of the top 20 scorers in the NHL and 2 in the top 10. This board is getting really difficult to engage, so many posters have personal agendas with specific players and there personal success that you cant look at this team with any sense of realism.

Is it not possible that those three could have success apart? And that their success could help get more out of the guys who are struggling?

It's certainly an option worth discussing, same way the coach tried to get Alfredsson away from Heatley and Spezza back in the day. If it doesn't work, put em back together.

Much smarter to see if you have internal solutions to a problem before you go external (trade). Personally, I'd like to see if Prince could have success on Zibanejad and Ryan's line first; I think he could add a similar dynamic to what Hoffman added last year and has the added benefit of keeping hst together.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hoffman-Lazar-Stone

was our only line that was really working beginning of last year and we split em up and success.

Prince-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan

Just do it.

Prince will have pressure playing on top line but at same time bailed out with 2 excellent players who can help ease him in.

Hoffman provides the dynamic offensive ability on that 2nd line like he did last year.

Chiasson-Pageau-Lazar

This line has been effective

Michalek-Smith-Neil

Only until Neil plays 1000 games then lmfao gtfo bro you suck.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Is it not possible that those three could have success apart? And that their success could help get more out of the guys who are struggling?

It's certainly an option worth discussing, same way the coach tried to get Alfredsson away from Heatley and Spezza back in the day. If it doesn't work, put em back together.

Much smarter to see if you have internal solutions to a problem before you go external (trade). Personally, I'd like to see if Prince could have success on Zibanejad and Ryan's line first; I think he could add a similar dynamic to what Hoffman added last year and has the added benefit of keeping hst together.

Its possible sure but they have been absolutely dominant, this team has talented forwards outside of the first line personally id like to see them try different combinations like the one you suggested without risking breaking up that lines hot streak.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Loss last night but it was vs. a pretty good Nashville team that we got a point vs. Hopefully next game we get a big win.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
My philosophy has always been focus on pairings and not lines so My opinion is Turris-Stone
Pageau-Ryan
Zib-Prince
Lazar-Chiasson
And fill in the rest.

If you can't beat em join em I guess since our board is absolutely obsessed with line combos.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I am much sooner putting JGP with Ryan than I am splitting up our freaking dominant HST line. The whole point of juggling lines is to find chemistry, so why mess with what HST already has?

Really wish MacA was healthy :cry:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Im not a fan of "rookies should start on the 4th line and earn their way up".

Players should play where they best fit. Lines should be designed to maximize the chances of victory.

Michalek's play this season has definitely warranted a top 6 position but Im also fine with him on the 3rd line if makes for better line combo's. That goes for any player, I guess.

Prince-Smith-Neil is a poor use of players.

I would say it's a terrible idea having prince on the 4th line. It forces him to change his game to play with dummies. So then once he/if he gets comfortable in that role he's considered to have earned his way to an offensive line? Well now he has to get used to playing in that role! f*** man. Way to put the guy on a roller coaster ride and punch his confidence repeatedly. At least get him on the 3rd with pageau.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
There's no way I'd have Prince on the 1rst line, he hasn't done anything to deserve that opportunity over Hoffman and Michalek who have played good hockey so far.

BigBush*

I was talking about a smaller time frame. Lines can be altered in game.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate that philosophy. I'd rather see lines stick together for a few games. If a guy is struggling in a game then ha definitely make a change up. But the whole, we're gonna completely change up our top 6 and if it doesn't work in a period and half well go back to what was working before.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Maybe it's just me, but I hate that philosophy. I'd rather see lines stick together for a few games. If a guy is struggling in a game then ha definitely make a change up. But the whole, we're gonna completely change up our top 6 and if it doesn't work in a period and half well go back to what was working before.

Its really just personal preference. Both in making the decision and the player being OK with line changes.

Ryan's made it clear he doesn't like his linemates changing up frequently.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If ever Cameron wants to split his lines, I think he could look at this scenario. Of course, MacArthur is the guy you want instead of Michalek there but until he comes back this could be a viable scenario.

Not really any of those is a true 1rst line.

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Michalek - Turris - Ryan
Prince-Pageau-Lazar
Chiasson-Smith-Neil

Hoffman and Stone play so well that Zibby should be able to gain from that and he hasn't been meshing well with Ryan thus far this season. Turris could get the puck to Ryan who would only need to get in a position to score, Milo complements that line well. Prince needs to have some guys with more speed and talent to play with him so giving him Lazar and Pageau would be much better than that 4rth line.

When MacArthur comes back:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Prince-Pageau-Lazar
Michalek-Smith-Chiasson

Depending on how good that 3rd line does, you could still put Michalek instead of Prince.

BigBush*

If ever Cameron wants to split his lines, I think he could look at this scenario. Of course, MacArthur is the guy you want instead of Michalek there but until he comes back this could be a viable scenario.

Not really any of those is a true 1rst line.

Michalek - Turris - Ryan
Prince-Pageau-Lazar
Chiasson-Smith-Neil

Hoffman and Stone play so well that Zibby should be able to gain from that and he hasn't been meshing well with Ryan thus far this season. Turris could get the puck to Ryan who would only need to get in a position to score, Milo complements that line well. Prince needs to have some guys with more speed and talent to play with him so giving him Lazar and Pageau would be much better than that 4rth line.

When MacArthur comes back:

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Prince-Pageau-Lazar
Michalek-Smith-Chiasson

Depending on how good that 3rd line does, you could still put Michalek instead of Prince.

Turks has played sooooo well to start the season. He must be happy, thinking about how he's going to have a career year. Two guys he has so ,I have chemistry with.

Then to get the lines changed up and tokay with Michalek and Ryan. Ouch, that'd suck for Turris. I guess we'd find out what kind of team player he is

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Turks has played sooooo well to start the season. He must be happy, thinking about how he's going to have a career year. Two guys he has so ,I have chemistry with.

Then to get the lines changed up and tokay with Michalek and Ryan. Ouch, that'd suck for Turris. I guess we'd find out what kind of team player he is

Well, this is the kind of thing that happens when the team isn't producing. That first line is really good, but we need more than that because it's just not working for the rest of the team. I'm sure Turris understands that and above all is not stats but making the playoffs I believe. Turris has played with Michalek and Stone last year and was very good, he also played with MacArthur and Ryan and was really good. I don't see why it wouldn't work now with Ryan and Michalek. Zibanejad needs to have guys who drive the play like Hoffman and Stone to play with him. Zibby is more of a dump and chase type of guy who hits and goes in deep so it could be a good fit with Hoffman and Stone who can really set up the play. Zibby is like a winger who plays centre and Stone is like a centre playing wing so I think that could be a good fit.

Of course there's no garantee but we now Mac(9MM until Mac comes back)-Turris-Ryan have played well before together and that Hoff and Stone are also very good together so I'd take a shot at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad