Post-Game Talk: Sens fall down, Jets win 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Morrisey being our teams best defenceman is a huge reason we won’t win a cup .
I agree to an extent. We need better dmen and A true #1 on both ends and I don't think he's that. He's a great top 4d but we def need superior top end depth.
Just in our division for example easily take Josi, Makar, Toews, Spurgeon and Heiskanen ahead of anyone on our d group.

Last edited:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I agree to an extent. We need better dmen and A true #1 on both ends and I don't think he's that. He's a great top 4d but we def need superior top end depth.
Just in our division for example easily take Josi, Makar, Toews, Spurgeon and Heiskanen ahead of anyone on our d group.
Find a way to push morrisey to the 2nd pair and watch everything change IMO

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Morrissey is what he is a real good two-way number 2. If we had a strong bottom 4 we likely could get away with a top pairing centered around him and DeMelo. But we have a particularly weak bottom 4 which puts way too much pressure on him to carry all the mail.

The problem is its not easy to find a legit number 1. Maybe we get that if we move Mark this summer but outside of that I think finding that player isn't realistic.

I think we need to hope Pionk rebounds and Heinola and Samberg give us Teo strong contributors in the bottom 4 next year so that we have a strong bottom 4.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Find a way to push morrisey to the 2nd pair and watch everything change IMO
Yeah but finding two dmen better than Morrissey would be tough for this org. Their FA signing of dmen has been underwhelming for the most part. Their drafting of strong top 4 d in 11 years has been trouba and Morrissey (so far). In our peak season we had buff-enstrom as probably the best pair in the nhl and then trouba-Morrissey. But again, do you trust Chevy with FA signing or trade acquisitions? DeMelo is V good and Pionk had one great year. But myers, Forbort, bitetto, sbisa, Benn, kulikov, re signing Stuart, etc. And how long would it take for this org to draft and develop a viable top pair d outside of top 10-15 draft pick? Maybe samberg or heinola are those players. Way to early to label them anything.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The game has changed. You have to be mobile as a defender. No point in being physical if you can't catch up to anyone. Samberg is kind of the ideal for a modern physical Big D man. He can still skate and move the puck
I love physicality but it needs to come in a package like Buff or Samberg who are mobile enough to weaponize it. There aren't many top D men that hit much. If you watch a team like Carolina they are not really physical but their defense is stifling. They take away time and space and are very tough to play against. I would way rather to be tough to play against than porous, easy to beat, but occasionally physical.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Morrissey talk aside, we do need a dman with high end skill who can put up 55pts+ consistently to run our powerplay and quarterback our offence in general. In todays NHL especially when scoring is so inflated, not having a single defenceman about 0.5ppg can put a ceiling on your offence, especially when your forwards are having a hard time going.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think I’m the long run y’all are selling Morrissey short. Finding a true #1 is near impossible. We’re not gonna sign one that’s for sure. We potentially trade for one but those are rarely available. Only true and realistic option is drafting one and unless it’s a top 5 pick, you basically have to “luck out” with a later pick. I think you can easily win a Cup with three strong pairs. Morrissey has made huge strides this year and something tells me we the best may yet to come from him.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
In the defense size discussion, someone like Heinola is very good at reading the play, anticipating the opponent and boxing him out. No cross checking or shoving, just simple body positioning and effective defense.

Drives me nuts that he isn’t being given a very good chance this year, but we default to Stanley.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
In the defense size discussion, someone like Heinola is very good at reading the play, anticipating the opponent and boxing him out. No cross checking or shoving, just simple body positioning and effective defense.

Drives me nuts that he isn’t being given a very good chance this year, but we default to Stanley.
He cross checks like a demon -
There will always be occasions where you will need to lean on guys to move them - Ville might be able to avoid some of that with good positional play, a good stick, and quickness - but he won't avoid in entirely.

But right now, he is using the cross check - a lot. He's not hammering on guys - just pushing, nudging, and letting them know he is there - they all do it (although with less passion TY with the crack down)

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Even back in the day I remember the mother of all slot monsters was Tim Kerr who was a 6'3" 225 center for the Flyers and he use to live in the blue paint. They asked him who the toughest defender was for him to beat and he said Mike O'Connell who was 5'9" and 185. Kerr said O'Connell use to be great and fronting him, angling him, and using his stick to frustrate him. He said O'Connell had great technique and he was tough to beat. That was in the day of vicious cross checking too.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Even back in the day I remember the mother of all slot monsters was Tim Kerr who was a 6'3" 225 center for the Flyers and he use to live in the blue paint. They asked him who the toughest defender was for him to beat and he said Mike O'Connell who was 5'9" and 185. Kerr said O'Connell use to be great and fronting him, angling him, and using his stick to frustrate him. He said O'Connell had great technique and he was tough to beat. That was in the day of vicious cross checking too.

Not to mention the lower center of gravity can really help because it’s easier to g egg leverage on bigger guys if you can build up the lower body strength. Enstrom was phenomenal at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad