Not open for further replies.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
How does this keep happening?

kkvr8wl.png

pwqrjDN.png

p9aAHd0.png

How are the opposing players get so wide open in front of the Jets net? There were a bunch of other events like there but where Ottawa didn't end up scoring.
I think it’s because our best defensman is morrisey a small not aggressive 2nd pairing guy and he leads by example

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think it’s because our best defensman is morrisey a small not aggressive 2nd pairing guy and he leads by example
You're right. We should move away from larger physical player and move to a more skilled lineup and more skill-based system. If your guess is correct, putting physical players out there is a complete waste of time and money if the best D-man isn't big and physical.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Aside from the fact that he and DeMelo had the most hits and the most blocks... we need a big guy like Beaulieu back to right this ship :cool:

Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Morrissey is the team's best defenceman this season and his underlying numbers have him performing as a top pairing guy (not a true number 1, but a top pair nonetheless). Your obsession with size is reaching Vince McMahon levels.

Reactions: Huffer and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Morrissey is the team's best defenceman this season and his underlying numbers have him performing as a top pairing guy (not a true number 1, but a top pair nonetheless). Your obsession with size is reaching Vince McMahon levels.

And the other kicker is that he no longer needs another top pairing player like Trouba as his partner to perform at that level. That is a big time positive this year. It allows us to run a weaker player like DeMelo on the top pair and veat the matchup.

We just need to figure out our bottom 4 situation. Maybe Samberg can help stabilize Pionk and help get him back and playing good hockey.

Heinola and Schmidt seem to work well together and would likely be a good bottom pairing.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
And the other kicker is that he no longer needs another top pairing player like Trouba as his partner to perform at that level. That is a big time positive this year. It allows us to run a weaker player like DeMelo on the top pair and veat the matchup.

We just need to figure out our bottom 4 situation. Maybe Samberg can help stabilize Pionk and help get him back and playing good hockey.

Heinola and Schmidt seem to work well together and would likely be a good bottom pairing.
If there is any way to move Smitty, they should - unfortunately, he plays the right side.
I'd work one of our young lefties over to the right side - if possible.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If there is any way to move Smitty, they should - unfortunately, he plays the right side.
I'd work one of our young lefties over to the right side - if possible.

They should have been doing that with Heinola imo who can probably replace all the elements that Schmidt brings and at 1/6 the cap hit.

I'm not at all a fan of what Dillion has brought this year but he might do better in a more standardized system.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Defending the slot from shots has almost nothing to do with standing in front of the net and cross checking forwards who are camped out. I know that seems to be what so many fans think it is but that’s not it. Mark Stuart was a physical beast and went to war in the slot and sucked at stopping shots from the area. Most of the time shots are generated from this space off dynamic plays where defenders or forwards get lost in coverage and it manifests itself in high danger chances.

Slot protection is about defending well and never letting the other team attack the area. Once they have arrived and are camped out it’s a little late. Also, if you are cross checking them from behind they are between you and the shooter and that’s not good.

I love big players with skill but protecting the blue paint from shots is not about size.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
How come Morrissey's pairings consistently give up the fewest amount of shots directly in front of the goalie? Morrissey keeps the front of the net clear better than any other defenseman on the team.
Morrissey is one of the few problems on this team that doesn't need fixing, the guy has been excellent this season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Defending the slot from shots has almost nothing to do with standing in front of the net and cross checking forwards who are camped out. I know that seems to be what so many fans think it is but that’s not it. Mark Stuart was a physical beast and went to war in the slot and sucked at stopping shots from the area. Most of the time shots are generated from this space off dynamic plays where defenders or forwards get lost on coverage and in manifests itself in high danger chances.

Slot protection is about defending well and never letting the other team attack the area. Once they have arrived and are camped out it’s a little late. Also, if you are cross checking them from behind they are between you and the shooter and that’s not good.

I love big players with size but protecting the blue paint from shots is not about that.

Yup, this teams big issue is they get pulled out of shape very easily, in large part due to emphasizing m2m coverage too heavily. This often leads to more space being available in the middle of the ic3 and other teams players are more easily able to get to that space uncontested. Throw this teams confusion on when to switch and who to cover into the mix and you get the mess we have.

We don't have enough dmen who are good at reading and reacting to the play in our end. Stanley is very slow at this, Schmidt and Dillion not much better. Which begs the question why we employee a scheme that involved a lot of reading and reacting.

Last edited:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Ok I can buy that . Is it systems then? Skill? Effort?

Howcome our team doesn’t protect the goalie and teams have no problem getting in between our defence and helly on a nightly basis ?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Howcome our team doesn’t protect the goalie and teams have no problem getting in between our defence and helly on a nightly basis ?

I'm not sure, I'm not a big tactics guy so I don't know the answer. Maybe big guys like Dillon and Stanley can watch little ol' Morrissey to figure it out.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Imo it's systems. If they really want to protect the slot then they should be running a box plus 1 scheme as that system is specifically designed to protect the slot area.

My guess is they like the M2M for transition offense.

Our smarter and quicker dmen can figure out M2M better whereas Dillion and Stanley are slow to react and get pulled out of position. In a more set and stationary position in the box plus 1 system they wouldn't need to move and react as much so likely would have more success clearing the slot.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Morrisey being our teams best defenceman is a huge reason we won’t win a cup .

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yup, this teams big issue is they get pulled out of shape very easily, in large part due to emphasizing m2m coverage too heavily. This often leads to more space being available in the middle of the ic3 and other teams players are more easily able to get to that space uncontested. Throw this teams confusion on when to switch and who to cover into the mix and you get the mess we have.

We don't have enough dmen who are good at reading and reacting to the play in our end. Stanley is very slow at this, Schmidt and Dillion not much better. Which begs the question why we employee a scheme that involved a lot of reading and reacting.

Maybe for the same reason we used that odd 1-1-2 passive PK that never challenged or created pressure and despite the fact it failed we never changed it until Lowry took over for Maurice. Sticking with systems that fail like our D zone coverage is puzzling.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm not sure, I'm not a big tactics guy so I don't know the answer. Maybe big guys like Dillon and Stanley can watch little ol' Morrissey to figure it out.
That's exactly how it's done - you learn from those that are better at it.
If you can teach those things to the guys with a some size, they will have an advantage over the guys that don't (assuming skill to be equal).

It is not a secret that size with skill makes for a good combination on the blue line -
To promote size only, the issues start piling up - you still need to have some quickness, a good head for the game / position, and the compete.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Imo it's systems. If they really want to protect the slot then they should be running a box plus 1 scheme as that system is specifically designed to protect the slot area.

My guess is they like the M2M for transition offense.

Our smarter and quicker dmen can figure out M2M better whereas Dillion and Stanley are slow to react and get pulled out of position. In a more set and stationary position in the box plus 1 system they wouldn't need to move and react as much so likely would have more success clearing the slot.

It's for this reason I believe Dillon's issues here have not been related to him not being very good but he's being asked to do things that aren't to his strengths.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think we need more defencemen like Morrissey and less big pilons who might one day throw a bodycheck in front of the net.

Yup
It's for this reason I believe Dillon's issues here have not been related to him not being very good but he's being asked to do things that aren't to his strengths.

Yup, this org doesn't do a very good job deriving systems arelound what they actually have especially in the dzone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad