Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Canes, 7/11 - 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't understand playing Neil over Smith.

I've seen Smith actually carry the puck, make passes and get a few good shots off. I've seen Neil skate around and try to fight skilled players after whistles.

Easy:

Because they want Lazar at centre where he is best, and Smith can't play wing.

Also, Smith lacks intensity and should ALWAYS sit before Neil, who gives 100% every time he hits the ice.

Also, Neil is better at NHL hockey than Smith.

Also, Neil doesn't look to fight players after the whistle, he makes players on the other team settle down lest they have to pay the price. The idea is to intimidate without having to fight, which Neil does extremely well.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Totally fine with Neil over Smith.

Smith is a net negative. Neil, at least this leaner version of Neil, is a wash (neither positive nor negative, just sort of a guy who doesn't hurt you, but doesn't make a difference either way)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Totally fine with Neil over Smith.

Smith is a net negative. Neil, at least this leaner version of Neil, is a wash (neither positive nor negative, just sort of a guy who doesn't hurt you, but doesn't make a difference either way)

Plus I'd much rather have him on the wing with the two kids than lackadaisical Smith.

You just know Neil is gonna bust his ass to get to the net for Lazar and Pumps.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Except for that time he fought like 3 or 4 games ago :P

Personally I'd keep Smith in over Neil all things being equal, but Neil hasn't been a liability out there at all this year.

Much ado about nothing really, which forward is going to eat up 6 or 7 minutes tonight :P

You mean the forced fight just so he can get the Gordie Howe hatrick? And his only fight this year in 13 games?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't mind the Puempel Lazar Neil line. Could be good. Look forward to seeing how it goes.

No knock on Smith. I haven't hated his game at 4th line C.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't mind the Puempel Lazar Neil line. Could be good. Look forward to seeing how it goes.

No knock on Smith. I haven't hated his game at 4th line C.

Ultimately it's not a big deal, but I would prefer to have at least one LH center in there. At least the chances of going down two men has decreased significantly. Still I see it as Lazar>Smith>Neil.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
You mean the forced fight just so he can get the Gordie Howe hatrick? And his only fight this year in 13 games?

So it's ok for guys to continually force bad passes, and guys to take super long shifts just to get a scorer a hat trick, but we begrudge our blue collar player getting into a fight with another tough guy to get his own special hat trick?

Some of you guys man....

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Atleast when Neil takes his dumb penalties he takes an opponent with him. Smith is just undisciplined.

Both shouldn't be playing. Ill take Neil over Smith.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So it's ok for guys to continually force bad passes, and guys to take super long shifts just to get a scorer a hat trick, but we begrudge our blue collar player getting into a fight with another tough guy to get his own special hat trick?

Some of you guys man....

I kind of saw it as Tootoo offering to fight Neil out of respect to his craft.

Toots was aware.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I kind of saw it as Tootoo offering to fight Neil out of respect to his craft.

Toots was aware.

Yup, you could see that they had a little chat. I enjoyed the moment. From what I say Neiler asked and Tootoo obliged. I think Neil thanked him after.

These types of Hatricks mean something to tough guys.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Smith is the only centre who can take left hand draws but the lazy penalties have hurt his stock. If he doesn't dress it could just be Cameron sending a message. He's a big body who can play with an edge when he wants to so there is a market out west for his services if the Sens ever decide to offer him in a trade.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Excluding PP's,Pk's ice time distribution should be like

Meth - Karl (27mins)
Cowen - Wideman (21 mins)
Wiercioch - Boro (12 mins)

Count me into the minority that isn't happy about smith being scratched, personally I think he is playing some of his best hockey in years. He is flying up and down the ice, I guess the penalties cost him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Doesn't matter, still fought :)

If push came to shove he would, but fighting happens less and less. Its better that he's adapting instead of trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Smith is the only centre who can take left hand draws but the lazy penalties have hurt his stock. If he doesn't dress it could just be Cameron sending a message. He's a big body who can play with an edge when he wants to so there is a market out west for his services if the Sens ever decide to offer him in a trade.

I'd rather Smith in over Neil, but not by much. Smith is still good on the draw and can help kill the occasional penalty. He has better hands and shot than Neil.

Neil does give it his all, every shift, but if I'm including a guy in the lineup for 7-10 mins, I'd rather it be a guy who can win us a draw, or kill a penalty. Fighting isn;t enough of a specialization anymore.

In the end, not a big deal, so whatever.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I'm hoping we get at least 1 goal from our D...too bad Ceci is out. Maybe Wideman struts his stuff...or KingK gets hattie

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
If those top two lines get rolling, look out. Looking forward to tonight. Go Sens!

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
PW with Boro? Did I misread that? That would surely be Cameron making his issues on D painfully obvious to BMGM?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I do.

Smith always takes dumb penalties.

You do make a very valid point.

Except for that time he fought like 3 or 4 games ago :P

Personally I'd keep Smith in over Neil all things being equal, but Neil hasn't been a liability out there at all this year.

Much ado about nothing really, which forward is going to eat up 6 or 7 minutes tonight :P

That ONE time, 3-4 games ago, yes. :laugh:

i do agree whether our 12th or our 13th best forward sits, doesn't make much of a difference.

Easy:

Because they want Lazar at centre where he is best, and Smith can't play wing.

Also, Smith lacks intensity and should ALWAYS sit before Neil, who gives 100% every time he hits the ice.

Also, Neil is better at NHL hockey than Smith.

Also, Neil doesn't look to fight players after the whistle, he makes players on the other team settle down lest they have to pay the price. The idea is to intimidate without having to fight, which Neil does extremely well.

Oh, i missed lazar was playing center tonight, my bad. makes sense.

Smith does lack intensity. I agree.

I disagree with neil is better at hockey than smith. Not that close imo.(shooting,passing,skating,stickhandling, etc)

That is true, neil is better at intimidating....however i think intimidation is much more effective with a bone crushing hit or a beat down...neither of which neil has done recently. There was a time where Neil was regarded as one of the leagues best hitter. He would lay down the boom which would cause players to hear footsteps and make rushed passes and fumble pucks. It would also help keep people in line knowing at any second he could catch your star player with his head down. Almost like you didn't want to piss offf/wake up neil because someone on your team would pay the price. He doesn't do anything like that anymore.

This is the last big hit i remember neil laying unless someone can post a more recent huge hit?

That was 3 and a half years ago!

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Some of you guys man....

I'm pretty sure i get mad when players do that just as equally...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad