Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #1

Who is the Sens #1 Prospect at the moment?

• Roby Jarventie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oskar Pettersson

• Lassi Thomson

• Egor Sokolov

• Stephen Halliday

• Jorian Donovan

• Angus Crookshank

• Maxence Guénette

• Philippe Daoust

• Oskar Pettersson

• Tomas Hamara

• Viktor Lodin

• Filip Nordberg

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023

1-
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o).

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, shot quality, leadership qualities, size/strength, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA among these players?

Try to do some research on these kids, particularly the most recent ones. People are free to post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon, or even try to persuade others why a guy should be voted next! Spread info to help people vote.

Graduated players from 20222 (who are still in the organization) :

Jake Sanderson, Shane Pinto, Mark Kastelic and Parker Kelly

To be added : don't remember, who was let go among these players? I think the last 3

Theo Wallberg
Carson Latimer
Kevin Mandolese
Cole Reinhardt
Cameron O'Neill
Jonathan Aspirot
Kevin Reidler
Tyson Dyck
Chandler Romeo
Ben Roger
Jonny Tychonick
Luke Loheit

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
1. Ridley Greig
Tyler Kleven
Zach Ostapchuk
Levi Merilainen
5.Mass Sogard
Oskar Petersen
Tyler Boucher
Jorion Donovan
Filip Nordebeg
10. Max Guenette

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's Greig, but I can see an argument for Kleven.

Also - Viktor Lodin wasn't qualified so he's no longer Sens property. Ben Roger, Carson Latimer and Chandler Romeo were all cut loose as well. Johnny Tychonick has signed with Toronto [AHL] and Jakov Novak with Laval [AHL] so while they're both technically Sens prospects for another month, neither are staying in the organization.

I think we can probably cap the list at 15 this year. I don't even think they have 30 prospects in the system, and certainly they don't have any more than maybe a dozen with legit NHL potential.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
It's Greig, but I can see an argument for Kleven.

Also - Viktor Lodin wasn't qualified so he's no longer Sens property. Ben Roger, Carson Latimer and Chandler Romeo were all cut loose as well. Johnny Tychonick has signed with Toronto [AHL] and Jakov Novak with Laval [AHL] so while they're both technically Sens prospects for another month, neither are staying in the organization.

I think we can probably cap the list at 15 this year. I don't even think they have 30 prospects in the system, and certainly they don't have any more than maybe a dozen with legit NHL potential.
I'd say there are 20 or so guys worth ranking. Not much differentiating guys around 12 on the list and guys in the early 20s, but there will probably be at least one guy who will rate below 12th on the list who will have a decent career.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
love these.

Leevi Merilainen will be interesting to see where he gets voted. Does he get recognized or stay under rated? Don't think he has passed Soogard yet (who should be #3)

Reactions: Xspyrit

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Kleven, but probably recency bias, if I tried to account for that then Greig, but hey, no take-backs

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Almost a coin flip between Greig and Kleven for me. These polls tend to be about projection vs NHL readiness as well.
My opinions
Greig's ceiling is probably a 2nd line winger. Gritty, 2-way, PK, maybe 2nd PP, can move to C if needed
Kleven's ceiling is probably a 2nd pair D man. Big Tough, Rangey, Mobile, Responsible
Assuming that is reasonable I think the D is the more valuable prospect

Hard call. Both are good choices although Greig will be the more popular one I presume.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Our system is obviously depleted with so many graduations the past few years but Grieg and Kleven are pretty solid prospects. Not "elite" perhaps but very good players with good odds to be middle roster players and not impossible either becomes top line guys (no, not likely but possible). Perhaps the rest are either lower roster types or further away and harder to predict but we aren't completely barren.

But... now is the time to restock imo. We better have at least one 1st round pick next year to replenish the system so we can have some sustained success.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I am sad about Lodin. There was basically no reaction when we didn't qualify him but I thought he showed well in the A and in his call-up.

There also wasnt any reasoning on why we cut him loose. I assume because he couldn't stay healthy, but perhaps he also indicated he wanted to play back home.

On topic, I remain very bullish on Greig due to his IQ and tenacity. He showed he can play with very good players last year and as he gets his man strength his style will be appreciated.

Can PK and be on the PP. Can be in a shutdown role or elevated to a scoring line. His overall game and versatility make him my #1 prospect.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Went Grieg. Kleven is close, and Ostapchuck may have the highest ceiling. If he can translate some offense into the NHL, his size and physical skills could make him a valuable complementary piece in a scoring line.

He could also develop into a more defensive 3rd line type. Has skating, reach and some offensive touch.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Greig has the highest offensive potential of all the prospects & Kleven is probably the closest to being NHL ready right now. Ostapchuk can do a lot of things well, check, hit, take faceoffs play LW/C, play the PK or PP & will drop the mitts, but whose potential is likely 3rd line. Same could be said for Boucher who should be a bottom six player who hits, is hard to play against, scores the odd goal & will drop the mitts & will add toughness & grit.

Jarventie has scoring potential, but I'm not sure he has the drive or determination & seems rather soft for a big guy, he can also play LW/C & is a good skater & potential goal scorer. I expect that JBD will be on the roster to start the yr & Sogaard should get a number of games due to inevidable injuries with the goalies. I like Petersson RW a lot, but I'm don't think he is ahead of Sokolov RW at this time, maybe in a yr or two he passes him, but he's not there yet given Sokolov is older & almost NHL ready now. I also expect that Sokolov should see plenty of games this yr since they want to get bigger & harder to play against & he brings some size & offence with his game. I doubt anyone else is worth posting given they are either gone or too far down the list.

1. Greig LW/C - top six potential --- tough/grit/skill
2. Kleven LD - top 4 potential --- size/tough/grit
3. Sogaard G - #1 goalie potential --- size/athletic/lateral movement
4. JBD RD - top 4 potential --- smart/grit/skill
5. Sokolov RW - top 9 potential --- size/grit/skill
6. Ostapchuk LW/C - top 9 potential --- tough/size/grit
7. Boucher RW - top 9 potential --- tough/size/grit
8. Jarventie LW/C - top 9 potential --- size/soft/skill
9. Petersson RW - top 9 potential --- size/grit/skill
10. Merilainen G - backup potential --- quick/athletic/ good glove hand
11. Sebrango LD - 3rd pairing potential --- tough/grit/positionally sound
12. Thompson RD - 3rd pairing potential --- soft/skill/skating
13. Halliday C/LW - bottom six potential --- size/grit/skill
14. Guennette RD - 3rd pairing --- size/skill/skating
15. Donovan LD - 3rd pairing --- size/skating/skill
16. Crookshank LW - bottom six potential --- small/grit/skill
17. Johansson LW - top 9 potential --- skilled/soft/skating
18. Nordberg LD - 3rd pairing --- size/skating/skill
19. Daoust LW - bottom six potential --- small/soft/skill
20. Hamara LD - 3rd pairing --- small/soft/skill

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I am sad about Lodin. There was basically no reaction when we didn't qualify him but I thought he showed well in the A and in his call-up.

There also wasnt any reasoning on why we cut him loose. I assume because he couldn't stay healthy, but perhaps he also indicated he wanted to play back home.
Lodin signed back in Sweden long before qualifying offers were due, so it's clear he had already made his decision about his future. It would have been pointless to keep his rights.

I don't think you'll ever see him back in North America. He just doesn't have the on-ice awareness needed to flourish on the smaller rinks. Just never seemed to understand when he was in danger over here and it led to him getting blown up a lot. Bad skater too. Struggled with having less time and space. Good AHL powerplay guy.

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006

On topic, I remain very bullish on Greig due to his IQ and tenacity. He showed he can play with very good players last year and as he gets his man strength his style will be appreciated.

Can PK and be on the PP. Can be in a shutdown role or elevated to a scoring line. His overall game and versatility make him my #1 prospect.
I read it was not a hockey related decision.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'll go Kleven. We pretty much have Kleven and Greig in the top tier, Ostapchuk and JBD in the next....then everyone else.

The cupboard is really bare. Definitely need to keep those two first rounders for '24 and hope that's a good draft year.

Always appreciate when you do this. Big commitment, year after year. Thanks.
Went with Ridly but Kleven is 1B for me.

Want to add my thanks to the list, as well.

I haven't been deep diving with the prospect the past few years, and having this list and discussions every summer is a great resource for information for all of us who aren't always in the loop regarding all of the kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad